Allowed to be imaginative?! (1 Viewer)

ScullyBCDali

HSC
Are we allowed to be imaginative in out imaginative writing?
By that i mean, can we write about mythical beings (eg.vamps, werewolves etc?)

We're always being told to be creative, but ive also been told by my teacher that we are not to write about anythign we arent able to experiance ourselves...

Ive been writing a story for a few years, and using the characters and part of the storyline would be so much easer than writing some boring story about a person... I am... I guess you could say im conected to my characters (i actuarly dream in the POV ofone of my characters, who is a male, and im female) so writing about the is easy...

Any help would be great (i know im leaving it a bit late, but what the hell... *shrug* its only english! XD)

Book Freak

Whovian
HSC
Imagination? what's that? lol, we're at school, they don't WANT imagination, they want a perfect little story on belonging that's about a baloon wanting to be free into the sky or something.

That said mine is insane. It is the death of 3 potatoes, sounds harmless enough huh? here's the rub: I don't TELL them that they're potatoes until the END. So it sounds like total gore and doom beyond your imagination when in reality it's just a potato

lychnobity

HSC
Are we allowed to be imaginative in out imaginative writing?
Yes, but Twilight much? Googly eyed teenage girls have been brainwashed into writing vampire love stories; it's an epidemic.

We're always being told to be creative, but ive also been told by my teacher that we are not to write about anythign we arent able to experiance ourselves...
Ok, the idea is, draw upon your life experiences to write something similar, but in a different setting. Make sense?

Like the feeling of angst. Teenagers the state over have felt this emotion. You can write about angst, but the creative part, is where you don't put too much of yourself into it, where you don't write about an angst-ridden teenager.

Use your experiences as a basis, NOT a story.

About your other characters: use them as long as you can translate your ideas about belonging. The rest is residual.

JesseMatheson

HSC
It can be difficult to be able to add a mytho's to your story like vampires or wherewolves because you will have to explain so much about the character and it all sounds a bit cliche.

but in saying that you should really write whatever you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)