Almost done BCom (finance), what other degree would you do? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
If you had almost completed a B Com (finance) what further study would you undertake?

I'd like to do another degree and broaden my interests away from the purely commercial field (lost a bit of interest), so doing a double major + hons is down on my list.

If you could choose from,

BSci, BA, BPsych, LL.B, BEng, BMathFin what would you choose?

Or I could just graduate single major, but its risky giving my waining interest in corporate slavery.

I have a HD average, transfering into degrees is not an issue.

Thoughts, kind people?

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I'm kinda in that position where you realise that if you had been better informed, you probably would not have choosen commerce in hindsight, but you have stuck with it as its been easy + semi-enjoyable, yet the thought of actually working in the plethora of mediocre commerce jobs in the city horrifies you.

Perhaps I'd of done

B Environmental Science

BEng (Chemical)...though its not offered where I live

or BA (Philosophy)/ BSc (Geology or Chemistry or Geography or Environment)

who knows...:D:D

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
my view of things:

you dont seem to want a job in commerce, but i dont know if this is based on experience or expected experience. so you might want to give it a go for 6-12 months and see if it really is not an enjoyable time.

second option is to switch to science. from memory science includes psychology, mathematics, physics, nanotechnology, biology, medical science, biochemistry, oceanography, marine biology and ive definately missed some. but your 3 examples look fairly similar to me and it appears as though you have narrowed down your interests to the environmental aspect of science.

so if getting a job in the field of business really doesnt interest you at all, go and start doing something you enjoy. if you enjoy science, then do science, if you enjoy building things, then go do engineering. it comes down to, "what do you enjoy doing?" which is something that only you can answer.

Last edited:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
You can probably get into philosophy through post-graduate research into finance - an ANU lecturer I was talking to went from Econs(Hons) to PhD Philosophy. The 'arts' areas would be alot easier to get into than sciences - you'd be able to get post graduate qualifications rather than starting from scratch (which I'd hate to do.)

I'd go for a finance job out of the city in a more smaller company where you can get more exposure to other sectors - that or honours would open your scope a bit.

There is the possibility of financial mathematics/grad law though I doubt you'd be very interested as it'll probably be a subset of the 'city jobs' you dispise.

I'd be pretty reluctant to start studying from scratch again - spending 6-7 years as an undergraduate would kill me.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I'm the type who will enjoy a broad range of academic areas, so it is hard to narrow down based "purely on interest".

Its true, I have not had any "city experience" in commerce, its not that I think I would hate every job but I'm just skeptical as to whether an 8-10pm 6-7 days/week desk job will keep me happy. I love the coast, bushwalking, fresh air, surfing and generally being outside equally with researching/writing up reports etc (This is the kind of thinking that lead me into a science mind frame).

On Finance

I do find specific areas extremely interesting (obviously i have enough interest to sustain good marks) & others boring

Some interests from commerce so far:

- Project finance (from the limited study I have done)
- Securitisation
- Property markets (I would like to learn a lot more here, get an investment portfolio together)
- Efficent Market Hypothesis and deviations from this; behavioural explanations for cases against weak/semi-strong forms. The usefulness of technical analysis? Is fundamental analysis necessary? Insider trading ethics.
- General behavioural finance, evolutionary economics/finance (really know nothing here)
- FX markets are fairly interesting and trading (though I wouldn't want to be a trader here)
- Firm value, financial restructuring & capital budgeting (I liked doing all the NPV/IRR problems)
- Corporate Governance issues, the effect of the IFRS & convergence with US GAAP, regulation inssues as an aftermath to the sub-prime crisis.
- IAS 138 and the nature of intangibles: should they be an asset? The effects on the balance sheet etc

The main area I find interesting though is futures trading and commodity markets (once again a use for geology knowledge). I'd like to know more about natural resource economics, yet I don't think its offered. Options annoy me lol (because without the maths, the Black-Scholes model is just very "pretty": put the numbers in, I find I lack an intuitive understanding though)

Some elements of risk management (more the operational risk side and assessment are interesting. The Basel II accord also...)

Certain areas of management accounting were ok, in economics I love micro or applied maths (within reason, I've only done elementary calculus/optimization), game theory, environmental eco, industrial eco etc. Not a huge fan of macro or time-series econometrics. (although ARCH/GARCH and TARCH models are cool)

Financial planning seems ok too, I have done no formal study of it. I've never done any law units either, but anything on our constitutional rights, sharia law, legal theory & philosophy & elements of contract/property "sound" ok.

*I'm not actually sure why I wrote all this, though it does force me to see that I like certain areas of my course lol

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
"starting from scratch" doesn't bother me, I don't feel ready to leave uni yet anyway. My lecturer also said, careers these days are a lifelong learning experience, be prepared to retrain constantly. Talked of people he knew who was a hydrologist and then retrained for Investment Banking etc

Doing another degree at 21 isn't a big issue, some ppl dont make it to uni till 25-30.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Lol I guess when you read through my interests (and they are just for finance) you could see that I probably would enjoy Investment Banking, but I just don't feel Im the cut-throat, competitive personality. Also, irrespective of the $$$ my labour supply curve bends backwards when we reach about 45-50 hrs per week or more. I'd love to actually be my own boss and work from home (or just have enough investments paying for my financial independence, so I can surf and write books and do the occassional uni teaching/research?)

When I mention work hours though, I'm not detered at the thought of field trips and travel, in fact, that would be very enjoyable.

HSC
N/A
Honestly you come across rather repulsive, like some sort of robot begging to be programed..
I mean why on earth would you ask random strangers on an internet forum to 'tell me what to do with my life', just do what you want to do..

Note: I lol'd when you mentioned... 'technical analysis', what snake oil.

HSC
N/A
I'd love to actually be my own boss and work from home (or just have enough investments paying for my financial independence, so I can surf and write books and do the occassional uni teaching/research?)

When I mention work hours though, I'm not detered at the thought of field trips and travel, in fact, that would be very enjoyable.
cookie have u considered physio? the pay in private practice is similiar to accounting after a few years, guaranteed job and security, and would be way more satisfying than finance.

you could do locum work to satisfy you love of the out doors - this is where by you go around to facilities in rural areas consulting patients.

as u get older and more experienced you could open up your own practice and be your own boss, the demand is there - aging population, increasing population, medicare subsisdies etc etc its about 115k average net income in private

argo0986

TrAsHy GuY
HSC
Cookie, after reading extensively through your posts, we have VERY similar interests in study and outlook on life and am in the same predicament as you lol.

This is my final year doing Commerce/Law Economics Major and the thought of working a "city job" sickens me...Yes it has taken me 5 years to realise this

Interests lie with property, investments, environmental economics/geography Greatly!..and the sound of working for myself and dealing with my own investments is a positive

nellyei

HSC
to OP

Why don't you consider medicine? Definitely not a city job or a boring job.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
to OP

Why don't you consider medicine? Definitely not a city job or a boring job.
I'd be interested in psychiatry.

However, the primary problem is the GAMSAT.

I would have to take it in 2011. With no tertiary science knowledge, it would be a long shot.

04er

HSC
Simple: do what interests you.

PS I don't think you are a suitable candidate for law.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Cookie, after reading extensively through your posts, we have VERY similar interests in study and outlook on life and am in the same predicament as you lol.

This is my final year doing Commerce/Law Economics Major and the thought of working a "city job" sickens me...Yes it has taken me 5 years to realise this

Interests lie with property, investments, environmental economics/geography Greatly!..and the sound of working for myself and dealing with my own investments is a positive
Awsome, its good to hear. I know there are many with similar outlooks. How did you enjoy law? I was considering the 3 yr grad law program at UOW (are u at UOW too?.

I guess you could always look into the natural resources industry...many global mining companies take lawyers & I believe you can work "on site" (at least this was the case for accountants, in say Mt Isa).

I know it would be hard to get a grad role, but I'd say that a job with a mutlinational organisation like the UN or IMF would probably be fitting.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Simple: do what interests you.

PS I don't think you are a suitable candidate for law.
Thanks for your input,

I just find it hard as I have many interests.

At many times I've thought the same thing, why do you say though?

04er

HSC
Just based on the fact that you resent a city lifestyle and cannot see yourself working regular hours (9-6), when top law firms keep you in until around 9 or 10pm on a regular basis. You could still use law and have normal work hours (9-6) by working in tax at a big 4, or a smaller law firm, but again you don't like regular hours or the city? And it's pretty pointless doing law and then working in a rural area.

duckydavid

HSC
Wow. I am in the same position as you, minus the HD average. Here is my story:

- final semester of BCom (economics, finance) at unimelb
- haven't secured a grad position
- I am not the ultra competitive corporate ladder climbing type
- I want to stay at uni, I don't feel like I have made the most of my time at uni
- Although commerce is not my passion, I am glad I did it because it has given me a wider understanding of our world

I have narrowed my options for next year down to the following:
- Bachelor of Asian Studies at ANU (what I am interested in)
- Master of Professional Accounting at Monash (what I think is good for me in the short to medium future with jobs etc)

I am a bit reluctant in choosing the ANU option because I am unsure about doing another Bachelors. Do people actually do this? It's sorta like a double degree but with an extra year. What will potential employers make of it?

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread mate. Just take comfort in knowing you are not alone in your current situation.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asian studies is more useful and much easier to explain than another boring accounting masters of which is probably 110% internationals who are studying just for PR.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
And it's pretty pointless doing law and then working in a rural area.
Sense of community, can buy a decent house for under $250K-$350K (depending on region), integral part of the local professions, can do 'tick and flick' conveyancing and still make a good living, you get to be a big fish in a little pond, can set up your own practice, can get a more varied casemix as there is little competition, no pollution, no traffic jams, no parking problems, many wave to you driving by or will stop and talk to you walking down the street, friendly place to raise kids, locals think it nothing to give you a bottle of top shelf scotch for Xmas just because you are a well respected pillar of the community.... not for everyone, but I wouldn't say pointless.

04er

HSC
Ok then, pointless *in my opinion*. I would consider it a complete waste to have spent 5 years of my life studying so hard (7 years if you count years 11 and 12 trying to get 100 UAI) when I could have worked straight out of high school (or even during years 11 and 12) and have already bought a property by the time law students graduate, let alone start paying off their 40k hecs debt. But yes it is a personal decision, each to their own. I just don't see the rewards of working in rural areas equating to or exceeding the sacrifices made to get to that point, unless you haven't made many sacrifices to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)