• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ALP Education Policy [regarding funding to independant and non-independant schools] (2 Viewers)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
lissa2085 said:
Why should people who already pay more taxes and who are making huge sacrifices in order to send their children to a really good school be shat on my the government?? If anything, we should be easing the burden on these people rather than increasing it. Every child is a citizen of this country and they deserve tax-payer funded education whether their parents choose to send them to a private school or not. Why should the people who send their children to private schools have to pay for everyone else's children's education but receive no such financial assistance with their own child's? If anything we should be encouraging more parents to send their children to private institutions, since the level of all-round education is generally higher and it would also ease the burden on the public system? The ALP's education policy is just another pathetic attempt by Latham to secure a vote which the dipshit has already got.

~btw~ this is ellymelly and kwayera on the same account.

finally, a voice of reason :D

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
lissa2085 said:
Damn straight! :D God, if Latham wins the election I'm moving to Afghanistan
do so now and save us from your naivety.

lissa2085

How is that a 'me first fuck everyone else attitude'? And that is such an ignorant viewpoint - that bullshit about granite benchtops - how naive you are.

Thousands of parents who send their children to private schools work two jobs just to keep them there. If anything its a self-sufficient, independent attitude, as these people aren't resting on their laurels just bludging of the public sector like many parents do who CAN afford to send their children to private schools, but choose not to so that they can go to europe every year and have their granite benchtops.

I maintain that people should be encouraged to enter into the private sector - ESPECIALLY if they can easily afford it. Oh, and i never said you were a dipshit, i said Latham was - and i maintain that too.

A fair public education funding system should be determined on the basis of assets - like many public nursing homes. People who can afford it, pay a certain amount for their child's education, and those who can't afford it don't.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
lissa2085 said:
boo hoo cherry blossom - bite my arse
I decline.
if you really think afghanistan has more to offer than latham, go ahead and see if you're right.

lissa2085

The assets of the parents - fool.

And the 'better education' you refer to in relation to public schools is generally at those schools which are SELECTIVE. Kids come out of there with a good UAI because they were intelligent and motivated in the first place. There are many many private schools who are non-selective and do just as well, and in many cases better than government selective schools.

lissa2085

I've had the time of my life at my school and i feel that the advantages have been so numerous that it would be worth 40,000 to send my child there.

My parents have made no mistake, in fact they've made huge sacrifices and given me a great gift. yes i do like public school people (although i dont think of them like that, you're the one who makes class distinctions not me) i have many friends who go to public schools.

I do care if some kid doesnt get an education - otherwise i wouldnt be bothering with this, thats why i want private schools to be MORE affordable if possible, as they offer more opportunities.

I am NOT an exclusive group at all, and yes i do feel luckier - thats why im so grateful to my parents, i don't pity people in the public system - i pity you, since you are evidently extraordinarily blind and mal-adjusted, and of course i associate with 'public people' i've spent my life with them.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
lissa2085 said:
The assets of the parents - fool.

And the 'better education' you refer to in relation to public schools is generally at those schools which are SELECTIVE. Kids come out of there with a good UAI because they were intelligent and motivated in the first place. There are many many private schools who are non-selective and do just as well, and in many cases better than government selective schools.
not true.
Many who go to a non selective government school attain UAIs in excess of 99.
Don't we deserve some funding as well?
Or should we have to balance precariously on our broken chairs and huddle around our torn, old school books so you can get a 4th swimming pool?

lissa2085

My time at high school has been the time of my life, the advantages are so numerous i think it would be worth paying $40,000 a year to send my child there.

My parents made no mistake, they have given me a wonderful gift and i'm extraordinarily grateful that they chose to send me where they did and i'm eternally endebted.

Of course i like 'public school people' (although i choose not to think of them like that, as i make no such distinctions between people like you do, as it is ignorant and pointless since it has no meaning whatsoever) - many of my best friends go to government schools. And yes i care if a child doesn't receive an education, thats why i want private schools made more affordable.

I'm not in an exclusive group at all, and if you choose to think of it like that, it is people like you who have made it thus, as your methods would only make private schools less affordable to the community and as a result more 'exclusive'

yes i do feel luckier than people in government schools, but i don't feel it makes me superior - I'm just grateful to my parents for making the sacrifices they did.

I don't pity people in government schools, i only pity people like you who are blinded by prejudice and bitterness. Oh, and yes i do associate with people from public schools, i've been around them all my life

lissa2085

So, you think they increase fees to keep people from a lower socio-economic background out?? Man, you are twisted.

lissa2085

CHerryBlossom:
not true.
Many who go to a non selective government school attain UAIs in excess of 99.
Don't we deserve some funding as well?
Or should we have to balance precariously on our broken chairs and huddle around our torn, old school books so you can get a 4th swimming pool?

YOU DO HAVE FUNDING!!! you have exponentially more funding than private schools. And my god, what a bleeding heart - if this is what government schools are churning out nowadays no wonder parents are flocking to the private sector. I don't deny government schools need more funding, i never did - it just shouldnt be at the expense of the private sector.

lissa2085

Marginally, but my parents were prepared to pay the higher fees. Just because everyone can't afford to go there doesnt mean they should take away their government funding. That's like saying oh, not everyone can afford pay private hospital cover, it doesnt include everyone in the world so lets just make it even MORE expensive

lissa2085

Mmmm no...not in all arguments, but sometimes it's just fun. Oh and generally i only resort to insults with blind, irrational people

lissa2085

Of course i would like to see it!! It'd be fantastic, but unfortunately it's not possible because of the facilities the schools have which cannot be sustained by $500 a year from each girl. If that happened, everyone would get the best start in life that they could. I can't believe you think I'M an elitist, when YOU are the one saying "from schools like turramurra" and implying that people who cant afford the present fees wouldnt be considered good enough to go there. Money doesn't dictate character you know. Maybe you should take a good look at yourself before pointing the elitist finger at me.

lissa2085

That'd be great. I'm not sure how the total privatisation of the education system would fare in the long run, and then there'd be the problem of people who couldn't afford $500 a year. I think public schools need more funding, but not at the expense of private schools.

Malevolence

Oh so cool
HSC
N/A
Look, mark latham is not ready to be a prime minister, perhaps next term, at the moment he doesnt know what he is doing. And also i agree with liss2085 in the regaurd that public schools need more funding, no one cacn deny that, but it should not be at the expence of those who go to a private independent school.
iLeve you with this... where is the money going to come from if it isnt going to disadvantage those who go to a private independent school

lissa2085

Well what do you want me to do about it? You're the one who proposed the 'what if'. I never said we should give all the money to private schools, i just said we shouldn't take away any of their funding. I never said complete privatisation would be a good thing, not at all.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
lissa2085 said:
Well what do you want me to do about it? You're the one who proposed the 'what if'. I never said we should give all the money to private schools, i just said we shouldn't take away any of their funding. I never said complete privatisation would be a good thing, not at all.
You're sour because you are apart of the minority who will lose out. The majority of us though will benefit from Latham's move. Since the Howard Government came to power funding has increased to some schools by 200%. That's pretty massive and it needs to be reversed. I don't know how many times I've witten this, but

the quality of our education should not be determined by our parents's wealth.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Waa waa.

i have been running around sending applications to individual uni's because they ask for audition/interview, so please excuse my lack of sophistication and down right lack of connected-ness.. if thats even a word.

Can i just say, waa waa. Two jobs. My parents run around with two jobs, blue collared jobs mind you, and i am under public education that asks for fees LOWER than $500. Even THAT is difficult for us. So what if YOU can afford 500? It doesn't mean that we can. It also doesn't mean that it's not a sarcrafice on our part. Sounds like I'm having a waa too, but stop running around thinking that "oh, we go to a private school and my parents have 2 jobs" as if its the hardest thing to do. Stop waa-ing about how parents make a "sacrafice" for a private education as if the education there is "better". I'm from a school that in previous years, did wonderfully: last year had 20% of their students scoring over 90 for the UAI. Not bad don't you think?

As for where the funding comes from - I shrug at that. It's why I'm not running the country. But will you stop the "oh waa waa, we have it bad, we're making sacrafices" as if it is a sacrafice for "decent" education. That's YOUR choice. What's stopping you from going to a public school? Yeah, I confess that I would like to say that I come from a private school because it has connotations tagged along with it - of prestige, wealth, class or decent education. We all know those connotations arent necessarily true. This sacrafice talk is pathetic. Don't do it again unless you can justify why you've specifically labelled it as a "sacrafice."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)