Alternate entry into combined law - experiences? (1 Viewer)

FerretallicA

Lord of the 7 Strings
HSC
I've been trying to find out information about studying Law (preferrably at UNSW) in short bursts over the past 6 - 9 months and so far it looks like I'll be depending on my other tertiary study for entry.

I have exchanged several emails with the UAC point of contact at UNSW and the best I've managed to get is this-

"Thank you for your reply, you are not able to undertake the UPP as you are able to apply based on those results of your advanced diploma. Your High Distinction average will make you competitive for admission into a combined law program, however you do need to keep in mind that combined law is the most competitive program to gain admission into. If you are not successful in gaining admission you may also want to consider...[truncated]"

It's really not that promising at face value, much less considering that by Advanced Diploma was in IT and I have no prior legal industry experience.

I know there is already a fairly comprehensive thread outlining alternate pathways to university but I was wondering if there's anyone with actual first-hand EXPERIENCE on the matter? Specifically getting into an otherwise competitive degree such as combined Law directly (ie- not transferring from another course or university) other than through their UAI? What were your circumstances and how did you achieve entry?

X

xeuyrawp

FerretallicA said:
I've been trying to find out information about studying Law (preferrably at UNSW) in short bursts over the past 6 - 9 months and so far it looks like I'll be depending on my other tertiary study for entry.

I have exchanged several emails with the UAC point of contact at UNSW and the best I've managed to get is this-

"Thank you for your reply, you are not able to undertake the UPP as you are able to apply based on those results of your advanced diploma. Your High Distinction average will make you competitive for admission into a combined law program, [1]however you do need to keep in mind that combined law is the most competitive program to gain admission into. [2] If you are not successful in gaining admission you may also want to consider...[truncated]"

It's really not that promising at face value, much less considering that by Advanced Diploma was in IT and I have no prior legal industry experience.

I know there is already a fairly comprehensive thread outlining alternate pathways to university but I was wondering if there's anyone with actual first-hand EXPERIENCE on the matter? Specifically getting into an otherwise competitive degree such as combined Law directly (ie- not transferring from another course or university) other than through their UAI? What were your circumstances and how did you achieve entry?
Number [1] is the typical 'don't get your hopes up' response that is understandably favoured by UAC.

May I ask what all of [2] was?

There are other methods of getting into law at UWS and Macquarie, as well, although you've seemed to have done research so I won't outline them for you. This year, I still had to officially transfer into law, so I do know the procedure.

FerretallicA

Lord of the 7 Strings
HSC
PwarYuex said:
May I ask what all of [2] was?
[2] was along the lines of enrol in another course and hope that I can transfer into Law after a year. The time, effort and money commitment involved in going to uni for a year in a degree I have no real interest in on the vague chance that I might be able to transfer into Law doesn't appeal to me at all.

I searched around and couldn't find lexiographer's story...?

santaslayer

HSC
basically 70-ish uai...did a nanotech degree in uts then transferred a yr or so later to med after getting a killer UMAT (?) score combined woith his GPA i think...

something like that anyway

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
FerretallicA said:
[2] was along the lines of enrol in another course and hope that I can transfer into Law after a year. The time, effort and money commitment involved in going to uni for a year in a degree I have no real interest in on the vague chance that I might be able to transfer into Law doesn't appeal to me at all.

I searched around and couldn't find lexiographer's story...?
It doesn't have to be one you have no interest in - you could go for the degree you would have combined with Law and you'll be putting time, effort and money into those subjects anyway if you do end up in Law.

That said, if you hate all the degrees prescribed in a combination with Law then you could attempt to do a customised combination at MQ which I think pwaryuex does/did. Which would pretty much involve you picking any single or double degree at MQ and using your GPA to add the Law degree to your study pattern in your second year.

FerretallicA

Lord of the 7 Strings
HSC
kami said:
It doesn't have to be one you have no interest in - you could go for the degree you would have combined with Law and you'll be putting time, effort and money into those subjects anyway if you do end up in Law.
There are other subjects I'd be interested in. I'm leaning towards Arts (Philosophy) but I'd also be potentially interested in pursuing Commerce (Marketing), Arts-Media&Communications or Science (Psychology). I just wouldn't be interested in doing a degree in them if it's not in supporting a Law degree.

One vague one is Jurisprudence. From what I can tell from the official UNSW site it's basically just a Law degree which doesn't actually qualify you to practice Law? LLB for Dummies? What's the point of it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)