Alternative Law entries. Please help... (1 Viewer)

aekryan

HSC
say i do not achieve an atar of 95.9 (due to chem and math.........) what other avenues can i pursue to eventually be able to transfer into Law in maq???
I aim to go there and maybe transfer into Usyd law in a few more years.. but i want to know what sort of alternative entiries there are for maq law after a year? Do i need like a distinction in my course and say.. a 92+ ATAR???

enoilgam

HSC
say i do not achieve an atar of 95.9 (due to chem and math.........) what other avenues can i pursue to eventually be able to transfer into Law in maq???
I aim to go there and maybe transfer into Usyd law in a few more years.. but i want to know what sort of alternative entiries there are for maq law after a year? Do i need like a distinction in my course and say.. a 92+ ATAR???
You may be able to make combined law at MQ with lower than the cut-off. In 2011, I made it in the first round and I was more than 1 point off the cut-off (the MQ combined law cutoff has been 95.9 for a while now).

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Try getting into Psych (I don't know what the cut-off is for that, but I'm assuming it's lower than law since most degrees are) and then doing an internal program transfer after the first year

izzy88

HSC
I aim to go there and maybe transfer into Usyd law in a few more years..
Transfer to USYD law is very difficult - they usually recommend at least 97 ATAR and D average. If you are less on the ATAR you need a really high average etc.

Saying that, if you don't get into combined law at any university (either Mac or USYD), there is also post-grad. So do your 3 yr undergrad degree, and then apply for graduate law - either LLB or JD depending on the university (eg. USYD now only offers graduate JD not graduate LLB). There is no different between doing grad law and doing combined, except the grad path is 1 yr longer - not a big problem in the scheme of things/life.

aekryan

HSC
Transfer to USYD law is very difficult - they usually recommend at least 97 ATAR and D average. If you are less on the ATAR you need a really high average etc.

Saying that, if you don't get into combined law at any university (either Mac or USYD), there is also post-grad. So do your 3 yr undergrad degree, and then apply for graduate law - either LLB or JD depending on the university (eg. USYD now only offers graduate JD not graduate LLB). There is no different between doing grad law and doing combined, except the grad path is 1 yr longer - not a big problem in the scheme of things/life.

Wow really? So i could just do any course for 3 years and then apply for the JD at Usyd? ATAR will not count right? IM fairly confident on a 95 because i am appalling in chemistry but that wont really get me into law... so they will only count my WAM? Do i need to do a competitive subject? What mark will i need to transfer (Distinction/ high distinction etc?)

Would doing Commerce/ Economics/ Psychology be ok with a distinction average?

If this is the case and i will only miss 1 year then i may not even go to maq laq if i get 95.9 and just go to USyd and do a course for 3 years.

aekryan

HSC
Or alternatively, could i do law in maq and get a distinction average and then transfer to Usyd for my JD? Do they prefer if you transfer internally or would it be ok to do this?

izzy88

HSC
[/B]

Wow really? So i could just do any course for 3 years and then apply for the JD at Usyd? ATAR will not count right? IM fairly confident on a 95 because i am appalling in chemistry but that wont really get me into law... so they will only count my WAM? Do i need to do a competitive subject? What mark will i need to transfer (Distinction/ high distinction etc?)

Would doing Commerce/ Economics/ Psychology be ok with a distinction average?

If this is the case and i will only miss 1 year then i may not even go to maq laq if i get 95.9 and just go to USyd and do a course for 3 years.
JD - is post grad. So it doesn't matter what degree you do, or what university. This is same for post grad law at many universities. At USYD entry is 75% WAM (tertiary average) and 25% ATAR. Note that for post grad law there are both hecs places and full-fee places, so if you aren't competitive enough for hecs place then you may be offered full fee (which is really expensive).

Or alternatively, could i do law in maq and get a distinction average and then transfer to Usyd for my JD? Do they prefer if you transfer internally or would it be ok to do this?
You don't transfer to the JD as such. You can do an undergrad degree at Maq and then apply for the JD at usyd (or any other university). At usyd there isn't a preference for internal - external and internal applicants are assessed the same.

Don't worry too much about all of this now however - just get through the HSC and try your best :) There is a lot more time to consider all the different options etc

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the only exception is that you cannot be doing an LLB program for JD. So if you did Law at like Macquarie or UTS, you won't be able to JD at USYD or UNSW. But if that happens, you are doing law already so why do JD? XD

aekryan

HSC
Lol oh ok..
So is a JD the same as an LLB? Only it takes a year longer to get? So would you say three years of commerce and then transfer is the way to go? Sounds good.. thanks!

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol oh ok..
So is a JD the same as an LLB? Only it takes a year longer to get? So would you say three years of commerce and then transfer is the way to go? Sounds good.. thanks!
JD is basically the equivalent of an LLB if you already have a degree. If you finish high school and start uni, you study the LLB program where as if you finish a uni degree, you do the JD program. The only difference as you said is that the JD way takes 1 year longer. That said, you had more options with degree if you are doing JD. You can do JD after graduating from any degree (exception LLB) whereas the LLB had a list of certain degrees that you can combine with.

You don't actually transfer. You graduate with your degree and then apply to UAC to get an offer for a spot for the JD program. Just like when you apply for a uni spot after finishing HSC

jayz1

HSC
OP, I just transferred into USYD law after one year at MQ. If you want to know what marks I had just PM me.

Also if you don't make it straight into MQ law just do Psych and try for an internal transfer, I'm not 100% sure but I heard for an internal transfer you need a GPA of 3/4 which is only a credit average.

For external transfers, USYD will take either 100% GPA or 50% GPA/50% ATAR, based on which one would give you a 'better' score.

In any case, just concentrate on doing the best you can in the HSC and just get straight into the course you want =)

mariaerika

HSC
is it still possible to get into law at usyd, unsw, uts or anu with an ATAR of 95??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)