alternative ways to get in (1 Viewer)

sunsta2

HSC
say if u have a low uai (in terms of med...around 93) what do u have do get in 1st yr uni (eg..distinction avg) to make up for low uai to have a chance to get in to med (to any uni)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Let's see: UNSW, USYD, Newcastle, ANU, UQ, JCU, Adelaide, UWA, Monash, UTas, Melbourne.

USYD, ANU and UQ apply only to high school leavers.

As far as I know you have *practically* no chance of transferring into UNSW med.
You'd need distinctions and high distinctions (roughly 1:1) just to get your score up to 95, let alone begin to be competitive.

Other unis you have a better chance.
Lexicographer got interviews at UWA and Newcastle I think after first year after getting a UAI in the 70's (pardon if I'm wrong). His GPA was 5.25 I think (credit average). You won't get recognition for units studied so time-wise, save Monash and Newcastle, it'll be the same if you do a graduate med degree.

Adelaide I think you had to have studied there in your first year to apply.
Monash/Melbourne/Tasmania I don't give a damn as I don't satisfy their prerequisites. :p
JCU (if they're undergrad) apparently are biased to people in their area, I don't know much about them so read up yourself.

I think that covers all the undergrad schools.

More opportunities in graduate medicine from what I've gathered.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Yeah a High Distiction average roughly converts to a UAI of 99.xx
Theres always post-grad med school isent there?
BTW- I think Lexi got much higher than 70's....i have no idea, but he seems so smart
Not quite, you still have to add it to your UAI in the ratio 50:50 (assuming we're talking about a first year transfer).

And he did get 70-something. 76 I think.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
If you're a super nerd you wouldn't get a 93 UAI...

95 is the cutoff. He probably won't even reach that let alone be competitive.
:. UNSW is out.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It depends on which uni you apply to. If you want UNSW, Melbourne or UTas you need a HD average (they have very academically competitive candidates and selection procedures). If you want UWA then you need a "TPS" of 5.5 (it's like the GPA, but a little more lenient) - they don't consider your school scores once you complete a full year at uni. For Newcastle they require "close to credit average", also ignoring HSC performance. Only school leavers are eligible at Monash and Adelaide.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
As for my UAI...well I haven't released it on the forum before but I will if I get into Medicine next year. ;)

It was higher than 76, but lower than 85. That'll do for now. :p

Thanks for the compliments though.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe thanks Nat :D

Yeah I know UAI doesn't count, but I don't want people to know mine yet. I guess it's just for potential bragging rights - how many non-rurals get into med with less than 90?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
think of all the people that get into grad med with a uai under 90 or so
probably quite a lot

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Lexicographer said:
It depends on which uni you apply to. If you want UNSW, Melbourne or UTas you need a HD average (they have very academically competitive candidates and selection procedures). If you want UWA then you need a "TPS" of 5.5 (it's like the GPA, but a little more lenient) - they don't consider your school scores once you complete a full year at uni. For Newcastle they require "close to credit average", also ignoring HSC performance. Only school leavers are eligible at Monash and Adelaide.
aren't there only like 5 places for uwa med for non-standards? or was it 15.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Bob.J said:
think of all the people that get into grad med with a uai under 90 or so
probably quite a lot
Hmm I was talking about undergrad, since UAI is a primary component of the undergrad selection process and not at all for graduate. But yes, you have a point.

As for UWA non-standard places, I think you're right, about 15. The intake is much lower this year (half form memory) due to the introduction of the graduate course.

ohne

HSC
I've been in a similar position to Lexi. I went to a shit school and my UAI wasn't the 95 necessary so I didn't get into Med after the HSC. I thought about applying for a transfer but I decided against it. Because I didn't have the prereqs, the only two unis I could have applied for would have been UWA and Newcastle. You are looking there at only a window of a few places so there is not much of a chance when you consider how many people want to get in. Even though I got close to a distinction average this year, I doubt I would have had much of a chance. I am just going to go for graduate medicine. When you think about it, it is the way of the future, all of the new med schools coming online are graduate entry and there is a general trend towards it. This way I will end up having two degrees and something to fall back on if I don't like med.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah to be honest I would love to study med at Notre Dame, Sydney Campus (they're opening across the road from UTS in around 2007). However, I didn't see any harm in going through the application process now. After all, if I get in now all the better, I'll be doing precisely what I want sooner. If I don't get in, I'll still be happy at UTS doing Nano and Japan, and I can go to UNDA across the road when I'm done. Either way I win, so I might as well go for every change I get. :)

ohne

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Yeah to be honest I would love to study med at Notre Dame, Sydney Campus (they're opening across the road from UTS in around 2007). However, I didn't see any harm in going through the application process now. After all, if I get in now all the better, I'll be doing precisely what I want sooner. If I don't get in, I'll still be happy at UTS doing Nano and Japan, and I can go to UNDA across the road when I'm done. Either way I win, so I might as well go for every change I get. :)
well, good luck! i really hope you get in this time. the main reason i didn't apply this year was that i didn't have enough in the bank for UMAT. my view on medicine is:

Year 12 Entry/Transfer: Very hard, must attend good school + be very smart, do well in HSC
Graduate Entry: Not difficult at all if you are determined

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Ah, yeah I guess I was lucky in that I've always been pretty good with the kind of stuff UMAT looks for. It's the actual hard work in academia that holds me back all the time. Thanks for the kind wishes. :)

sunsta2

HSC
Yeh i wasnt too sure bout how else to get in. I called the unsw ppl and they were like forget it, no chance of gettin in.

thanx guys

CrashOveride

HSC
ok so basically if someone got a crap UAI they just might have a chance of getting in during their tertiary studies with a HD average.......but if they get out with what, just D or cr average u can do grad med? whats the pre-reqs for grad med? i thought the selection process wud be more stringent

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Transferring into med is difficult from what I've gathered.

Grad med has no prerequisites- do whatever degree you wish.
GPA av 5.5, GAMSAT 58 and passing an interview would've got you into USYD 2005.
However, getting in is a very drawn out and lengthy process, and you are competing with many dedicated candidates.

I would accept an undergraduate place if I managed to get one even if graduate med would save a year.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Estel said:
Transferring into med is difficult from what I've gathered.

Grad med has no prerequisites- do whatever degree you wish.
GPA av 5.5, GAMSAT 58 and passing an interview would've got you into USYD 2005.
However, getting in is a very drawn out and lengthy process, and you are competing with many dedicated candidates.

I would accept an undergraduate place if I managed to get one even if graduate med would save a year.
i agree
but getting into undergrad med as a tertiary/non-standard student i quite difficult
the number of places available for our type of applicant is really low.

The way i see it, the best chance to get in is straight from year 12, then grad med
in between it's possible but really difficult

nitesh

HSC
Estel said:
As far as I know you have *practically* no chance of transferring into UNSW med.
You'd need distinctions and high distinctions (roughly 1:1) just to get your score up to 95, let alone begin to be competitive.

Other unis you have a better chance.
Lexicographer got interviews at UWA and Newcastle I think after first year after getting a UAI in the 70's (pardon if I'm wrong). His GPA was 5.25 I think (credit average). You won't get recognition for units studied so time-wise, save Monash and Newcastle, it'll be the same if you do a graduate med degree.
I was just wondering, will they also consider your UMAT if you are a first year uni student and u are getting distinctions to high distinctions in your course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)