alternative ways to get in (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
nitesh said:
I was just wondering, will they also consider your UMAT if you are a first year uni student and u are getting distinctions to high distinctions in your course
yes if you're applying for undergrad uni's that look at umat for school leavers, they will also look at your umat score. Getting high distinctions will favour you for unsw and uwa.
However, i heard they hardly give out any places to tertiary students at unsw.

nitesh

HSC
Bob.J said:
yes if you're applying for undergrad uni's that look at umat for school leavers, they will also look at your umat score. Getting high distinctions will favour you for unsw and uwa.
However, i heard they hardly give out any places to tertiary students at unsw.
From what i understand, to be considered as an undergraduate you must be a yr 12 school leaver or in your first year of tertiary study. The UMAT is used for undergrads, but what about if you are in your second year of a tertariy study, and wish to transfer into medicine. Will they just use your uni marks or will they consider other external assessments as well (GAMSAT).

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
nitesh said:
From what i understand, to be considered as an undergraduate you must be a yr 12 school leaver or in your first year of tertiary study. The UMAT is used for undergrads, but what about if you are in your second year of a tertariy study, and wish to transfer into medicine. Will they just use your uni marks or will they consider other external assessments as well (GAMSAT).
umat is used for undergrad med entry, as longas you're an eligible candidate (ie. depends on faculty requirements and restrictions). If you're in 2nd year uni, you can only apply for undergrad med and they'll use UMAT and your uni marks (unsw use UAI as well as your uni marks.
Once you're in your final year of uni you'll then be able to try for grad med (via gamsat).
This stuff is in the umatbooklet, and med faculty booklets :-\

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
nitesh said:
All undergraduate schools admit school leavers. Some undergraduate schools have limits on tertiary study (either none at all, or a certain number of semesters). Others don't care how much uni you've done.

pirate24

HSC
N/A
Estel said:
Transferring into med is difficult from what I've gathered.

Grad med has no prerequisites- do whatever degree you wish.
GPA av 5.5, GAMSAT 58 and passing an interview would've got you into USYD 2005.
However, getting in is a very drawn out and lengthy process, and you are competing with many dedicated candidates.

I would accept an undergraduate place if I managed to get one even if graduate med would save a year.
How would graduate med save a year? Do you mean that the overall process wouldn't take as long with a graduate program or do you mean that the graduate degree itself is shorter?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
pirate24 said:
How would graduate med save a year? Do you mean that the overall process wouldn't take as long with a graduate program or do you mean that the graduate degree itself is shorter?
Geez this thread is over 4 years old.

He meant someone who has done their undergraduage degree or is in their final year who doen't want to do GAMSAT or as a back up did UMAT and tried to get into an undergrad medspot from and undergrad degree would be atleast one year more then a sole post-grad(3 year undergrad, 4 year graduate med course) . Thus it would be 8 years of uni studey (min 3 years undergrad and min 5 years undergrad med). Instead of (min 3 years undergrad and a 4 year graduate med course).

No, the overall process depending on your circumstances is longer because you are doing an undergrad degree with a min of 3 years with a underdrad med degree with a min or 5 years. Instead of doing 3 years undergrad, Gamsat and 4 yaers of grad med.

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
medicine is very expensive if you run out of SLE and cannot be a HECS supported student anymore. Graduate Med at USYD is definitely worth a go even though the GAMSAT is a pain

BTW, does anyone know how i could get those colourful usyd signatures?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
barling89 said:
medicine is very expensive if you run out of SLE and cannot be a HECS supported student anymore. Graduate Med at USYD is definitely worth a go even though the GAMSAT is a pain

BTW, does anyone know how i could get those colourful usyd signatures?
The big one anynymous had he prob made himself in photopshop so ask him or if your after those one line sigs: http://shizlanski.com/mso/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)