• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Alternatives to med (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
rofflemayo nanoscience at UTS lollercoaster

bron_the_ambo

HSC
I'd love to get into medicine but its just not gunna happen cos I chose dodgy subjects. So I'm going to do nursing and clinical practice ;) I'm gunna be me an ambo!!! :D And then eventually down the track do medicine and obstetrics.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
umm
my choices were:

dentistry
vet
act stud + law..
pharm
physio

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Mine werent even med.. but Vet was what i wanted to do. if i didnt get it then it would be:
BAnimal Veterinary Bioscience (BAnimal Science) and work my ass of for a transfer or BScAdvaned (and also work for a transfer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
my preferences were med at UNSW, UNCLE, Monash, Melbourne, UWA in that order
I thought that if I didn't get into at least one of those I would do BEng(Mech.Biomed) at USyd under the advanced engineering stream, followed by BSci(Adv) at USyd or UNSW and then forgot the rest of my UAC preferences lol...but I remember that I saw BSocialScience and I thought "Hey, that's interesting!" and I put it in my eigth preference just for the sake of it.

I guess many people say that Medical Science is a good path to take if you have your mind set on Graduate Medicine, but any science based course will give you as equally as good a standing and even if you don't get in via the Graduate pathway (touchwood) you'll end up with a degree which might actually be useful and not relegate you to research for the rest of your life.

Of course if you're doing it for the money basically follow pointdexters list they list them all lol...though they are all challenging courses and there's no easy way to do an 'easy' degree which will land you a high paying job.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I was going to be a doctor, but then I realised I hate people and want them to die.

nit

HSC
My list of preferences were Usyd med, UNSW med, Melbourne med, Monash med, Advanced Science at Usyd, then the token actuarial studies course at UNSW.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
withoutaface said:
I was going to be a doctor, but then I realised I hate people and want them to die.
well its called pathology :)
its wat i love

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
My first preference list was UNSW MBBS, UNCLE BMed, [UTas MBBS, Monash MBBS, Adelaide MBBS], USyd BSc/LLB, UNSW BSc/LLB, UTS BSc/LLB, USyd BSc, UNSW BSc, UTS BSc.

Or something. I don't know, I didn't have a high enough UAI for any of the above. :p

Realistically though, Science/Law, Science/International Studies or Law/ International Studies at UTS would be the course for me. Though I think I prefer the UNSW BIntSt/LLB course, I would take Science at UTS any day - I couldn't have enjoyed my time in Nanotechnology more. It's just a pity that UTS doesn't have a better arts faculty (there are in fact some arts subjects I wouldn't mind taking as electives).

santaslayer

HSC
For girl: Do Nursing. At least you can hope to find a young, good looking and relatively wealthy doctor that will feed and shelter you for the rest of your life.

For boyz: Nothing's stopping you from doing the same. :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's quite an offensive post you know. Nursing is an equally respectable clinical vocation to Doctoring - the focus is simply aimed at a different aspect of health care.

shafqat

HSC
N/A
My preferences were UNSW med, Usyd sci/med, Usyd law, UNSW law, UTS law, Usyd AdvSci, UNSW commerce. Nothing interstate.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
inasero said:
Of course if you're doing it for the money basically follow pointdexters list they list them all lol...though they are all challenging courses and there's no easy way to do an 'easy' degree which will land you a high paying job.
Being a Vet does not paid highly..... i dont know why people think this .....

inasero

Reborn
HSC
oh yes it does...and anyway i wasnt't insinuating anything about you or the other vet students out there so chillax

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
inasero said:
well most are health scis which i was planning .. =)
and actuarial stud + law cos i like maths sooo much.. kinda miss it in med .. well not realli much

see if i wanted money or lifestyle .. med isnt it.. should hav taken dent :'(

//edit: kimmeh i think it is.. cos med a lot is in insurance too we do bout tat.. if i were a GP

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
it's true, Vets get a lot, but so they deserve it

man i felt so jipped when i heard chiropractors make more than pharmacists, what the! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)