Am I able to make a comeback for 3U Maths in trials? (1 Viewer)

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
So basically I have kinda done goof for mathematics extension in my latest assessment and I am unsure that if I do keep doing this that it will drag my ATAR down. I'm unsure of my rank as of the assessment, but I am 21/31 overall.

Term 4: 63% (25% weight/Exam)
Term 1: 94% (20% weight/Assignment)
Term 2: 58% (25% weight/Exam)

Any advice if I can score E4 in trials if I grind it out or near that range? And also general tips and advice on how to improve because honestly when I did the exam, I felt I knew everything and thought id get 70% at least. Thank you

howcanibesmarter

HSC
So because trials is 30%, it is very doable, however it will be tough and you will need to work harder than you currently am. (i.e not necessarily studying more, just more efficiently) This means going into a healthy study routine, clearing up what you previously got wrong, getting rid of silly mistakes etc. As of right now, u are sitting at a 70% average, which isn't too bad. If you can manage what you did in term 1, and get 94% (since you got it before, it is realistic to say you can get a similar mark again), then ur average after being scaled with weightings goes up from 70 to 77%. Bear in mind that 7% is a huge jump, and if currently 70% places u at 21/31, then 77% should be somewhere around 10-15. Of course this is all dependant on what other people do and how you perform, but remember internals is only 50%, you still have 50% in the actual hsc. even if you get lets say 80 in internals if you get 90 in externals that goes from a 80 to an 85 which is a massive increase for ur atar.

I think with ext1 maths, you have to be a jack of all trades. Meaning you cant spend all your time mastering one topic and perfecting it till you get 100% of the questions given to you, instead you want to be spreading your time out to all different topics. 3u maths includes many different topics, so be sure to surround yourself with different type of questions. I think for maths the only way you can get better is by doing more questions and making sure you are no longer making the mistakes you made previously. Remember its okay to make a mistake the first time, however be careful if you keep repeating the same ones. :)

carrotsss

HSC
Yes you absolutely can. Tbh with maths ext 1 imo most of it is just having the confidence to gives questions a crack even when they look daunting, and then just grinding through past papers and analysing your mistakes in them thoroughly - if you haven’t got one already, make a mistakes book where you record every single mistake you make in maths.

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
So because trials is 30%, it is very doable, however it will be tough and you will need to work harder than you currently am. (i.e not necessarily studying more, just more efficiently) This means going into a healthy study routine, clearing up what you previously got wrong, getting rid of silly mistakes etc. As of right now, u are sitting at a 70% average, which isn't too bad. If you can manage what you did in term 1, and get 94% (since you got it before, it is realistic to say you can get a similar mark again), then ur average after being scaled with weightings goes up from 70 to 77%. Bear in mind that 7% is a huge jump, and if currently 70% places u at 21/31, then 77% should be somewhere around 10-15. Of course this is all dependant on what other people do and how you perform, but remember internals is only 50%, you still have 50% in the actual hsc. even if you get lets say 80 in internals if you get 90 in externals that goes from a 80 to an 85 which is a massive increase for ur atar.

I think with ext1 maths, you have to be a jack of all trades. Meaning you cant spend all your time mastering one topic and perfecting it till you get 100% of the questions given to you, instead you want to be spreading your time out to all different topics. 3u maths includes many different topics, so be sure to surround yourself with different type of questions. I think for maths the only way you can get better is by doing more questions and making sure you are no longer making the mistakes you made previously. Remember its okay to make a mistake the first time, however be careful if you keep repeating the same ones. :)
Thas actually g advice, thank u sm :D

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
So basically I have kinda done goof for mathematics extension in my latest assessment and I am unsure that if I do keep doing this that it will drag my ATAR down. I'm unsure of my rank as of the assessment, but I am 21/31 overall.

Any advice if I can score E4 in trials if I grind it out or near that range? And also general tips and advice on how to improve because honestly when I did the exam, I felt I knew everything and thought id get 70% at least. Thank you
Before you grind out though, you may want to diagnose why you did a little worse than you wanted in the in-class exams. Is It careless errors? Is it actually a deficiency in understanding the topics being assessed? From what it seems, you mostly struggle when you do in-class exams, so its key that you find what exactly needs to be changed so that you can prevent a repeat of what happened with your other assessments. A huge factor for me was becoming hugely stressed during exams, which led to me overthinking relatively easy questions. How I'm currently trying to reduce this is by using the Headspace App (free-trial for 7 days- so definitely give it a go, after the 7 days, irrc its about 30 a month) for meditation excercises.

Interdice

HSC

how much people get band E4s in ur school? Check with HSC Ninja.

Ur situation is kinda similar to mine. Except my rank is around 16-17 I'm guessing, due to bombing the first two assignments.

kkk579

hello
HSC
Before you grind out though, you may want to diagnose why you did a little worse than you wanted in the in-class exams. Is It careless errors? Is it actually a deficiency in understanding the topics being assessed? From what it seems, you mostly struggle when you do in-class exams, so its key that you find what exactly needs to be changed so that you can prevent a repeat of what happened with your other assessments. A huge factor for me was becoming hugely stressed during exams, which led to me overthinking relatively easy questions. How I'm currently trying to reduce this is by using the Headspace App (free-trial for 7 days- so definitely give it a go, after the 7 days, irrc its about 30 a month) for meditation excercises.
R u sponsored by them

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
how much people get band E4s in ur school? Check with HSC Ninja.

Ur situation is kinda similar to mine. Except my rank is around 16-17 I'm guessing, due to bombing the first two assignments.
Not sure how abt how many people getting e4s in ext but I know top 5 or 6 in my cohort is getting 90% and above

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
Not sure how abt how many people getting e4s in ext but I know top 5 or 6 in my cohort is getting 90% and above
btw checked hsc ninja and said 9 people got e4s in ext 1 maths last year

howcanibesmarter

HSC
btw checked hsc ninja and said 9 people got e4s in ext 1 maths last year
Yea so extending from my previous comment, getting a similar result to what you got in term 1 might pull you up to that e4 range, depending on how everyone else does ofc. (i.e. If median mark was like 60% and you got a 95%, it is very possible. However, if they decided to make the test easier, where median is 85%, even with a 95% it might be difficult) Please do not be disheartened though, it is possible if you decide to put in the effort (and pray your school gives you a relatively hard test).

However, with every possibility also come negative outcomes, so here is my take on the situation (and a very realistic one tbh) so I'd hope you'd agree with me.

Lets just consider the case where you spent a considerable time studying for trials specifically for maths ext 1. Although you might grind your ass off for next test, I do think with trials alone it might be difficult to jump 10ranks with just 30% remaining.

That being said, I DO think that with the hsc accounting for the other 50% OUTSIDE of internal marks, if you can acheive a similar result to your previous mark, it is very, very likely that you will be able to secure a good e4 mark :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)