am i being ripped off?? (1 Viewer)

bobohappy

HSC
hey there,

i recently got a job at a sandwich shop, it pays $10 an hour, and i'm 18. the boss said that he was paying me $1 more than mcdonalds ppl.

can anyone verify this, or show me mcdonald's 'standard award'?

i'm pretty sure the boss doesn't pay extra on sundays, and the only other bonus is free lunch and the occassional coffee

am i being ripped off??

please share your experiences =]

jamesishere

HSC
I don't think it's a good deal but It's not exactly been ripped off....you have a job!!!! (I've been trying to get a job for 2 weeks with no success gah).
However I thought it was a legal requiement to get time and a half on sundays (?) but I could be wrong

redmayne

HSC
Yeah, you really are getting it tough.

That'd be pretty bad for a 16/17 year old, but 18...you should be getting at least $15 an hour. Probably closer to $20.

Especially considering he's not giving you time and a half.

Sorry.

jamesishere

HSC

That'd be pretty bad for a 16/17 year old, but 18...you should be getting at least $15 an hour. Probably closer to $20.

Sorry.
actually no. When i was 17 I was paid a base wage of $8.67 (I also got casual loading however). but very few UNTRAINED 18 yr olds would make over $15 on their first job.

aussie-boy

HSC

Sorry.
The vast majority of 18yr olds would earn $10-15/hr - you'd have to work at a place for a long time/have a valuable skill or connections to earn $20

Minimum wage is $14.31/hr; standard adopted by most businesses (and Government) is 70% for 18yr olds - so thats $10.02 an hour.

I'm pretty sure legislation exists that requires you to be paid a casual loading to make up for the lack of leave, which should be around 85c/hr.

Have you signed anything? If not, you can either accept your misfortune, demand a payrise or report your employer to the relevant authorities (though you won't have a job anymore.)

Trent7

HSC
I work at Maccas and am 18, I get paid $13.72 an hour, so yes I reckon you are being 'ripped off.'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)