Am I better off dropping down to Standard Maths? (1 Viewer)

shubhamshubham

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 so I'll be finishing my HSC in 2020. Right now, I'm doing Mathematics Advanced and pretty much everyone in my cohort is screwed. I'm getting 70% but im currently coming 5th/63 in my cohort. To be fair, I would've been 2nd or 3rd, but a LOT of people from Extension 1 dropped down to Advanced especially last term.

So would I be better off going to standard where I believe ill get high 90s and probably first place? The only downside I can think of is due to the fact I go to a shit school and the fellas in standard right now are absolute buffoons. I'll get scaled down even harder than standard normally gets scaled down as far as my knowledge of scaling goes.

Thoughts?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
No. Don't drop to standard. Math's advanced in terms of problem solving ability isn't actually that hard. If you practice and practice you'll definitely get better.

The mark doesn't mean much because Standard scales MUCH MUCH less than its other counter parts. IIRC General maths or now Standard maths actually has a cap on the amount of atar contribution you can get which is pretty shit because it can't even give a 99.95 atar contribution. It gives a max 99.5 at a mark of 100.

Just work hard in Advanced

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I would say stay in advanced and just do more self study outside of the lessons doing past papers and such. If you're school is that bad and you're struggling to learn the stuff yourself you should try to get a tutor if you can afford it. There are many reasons why its better to stay in advanced such as the subject scaling is better and also if you have any uni degree that needs it and there are many (any type of engineering going to need it, science and even some of those eco, business types of degrees some places have that pre requisite) so if you haven't done that 2 unit in school you will be sort of screwed and left to do bridging courses and such which are probably taught very fast compared to school

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For heaven's sake, don't drop to Standard to get high 90s. I'd rather a 70 in so-called Advanced than a 90 in Standard! You want as high a maths as you can manage: you never know what course you may want to pursue 4 years from now. What if it says it needs 5 or higher in 2U Advanced or even an Ext 1? Then you are screwed.
This rubbish called ATAR has distorted subject choices, often to the ultimate detriment of students making poor choices.
70% is not a disaster; try to do better, with your own efforts or with the help of others.

Last edited:

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Keep maths lol, as others have said. It's one of those subjects that you're really likely to get good marks just by doing heaps of past papers and marking them to see mistakes.

Only reason you would do Standard Maths or no maths at all is because you're like 110% set on not needing 2unit maths for the uni course(s)/work you want to do.

lolcti

HSC
N/A
For heaven's sake, don't drop to Standard to get high 90s. I'd rather a 70 in so-called Advanced than a 90 in Standard! You want as high a maths as you can manage: you never know what course you may want to pursue 4 years from now. What if it says it needs 5 or higher in 2U Advanced or even an Ext 1? Then you are screwed.
This rubbish called ATAR has distorted subject choices, often to the ultimate detriment of students making poor choices.
70% is not a disaster; try to do better, with your own efforts or with the help of others.
no a 90 in standard is much better

scaryshark09

HSC
wrong smh
he's not really wrong.

this year 100 went to 92.8 scaled mark (found on uac) which is about a 99.65 atar contribution

the only exception is that scaling is reset each year and depending on the standard cohort in the state and their performance in other subjects, it is technically possible to get a 99.95 contribution from standard math if you get 100, however it isn't common (and idk if it has ever happened)

WeiWeiMan

HSC
wrong smh
:O
I'm fairly sure 100/100 was 99.60 for 2023 and that's gonna be way harder to get than like 95+ in math advanced
no a 90 in standard is much better
he's talking about subject prerequisites rather than just marks
sure, a 90 in standard is better than a 70 in math adv scaling wise but what if the course requires math advanced?

lolcti

HSC
N/A
he's talking about subject prerequisites rather than just marks
sure, a 90 in standard is better than a 70 in math adv scaling wise but what if the course requires math advanced?
bridging course?

WeiWeiMan

HSC
bridging course?
idk maybe
personally i think if you think u can get 90 in standard and only 70 in advanced, you can defo get more than 70 in advanced and you're just holding yourself back :O

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
he's not really wrong.

this year 100 went to 92.8 scaled mark (found on uac) which is about a 99.65 atar contribution

the only exception is that scaling is reset each year and depending on the standard cohort in the state and their performance in other subjects, it is technically possible to get a 99.95 contribution from standard math if you get 100, however it isn't common (and idk if it has ever happened)
happened in 2022 but yea its not common

i remember a few months ago when some rat was fighting with me and telling me a 3 in mx1 is better than a 95 in math standard, anyway my raw mark was 97 so he can eat that

WeiWeiMan

HSC
happened in 2022 but yea its not common

i remember a few months ago when some rat was fighting with me and telling me a 3 in mx1 is better than a 95 in math standard, anyway my raw mark was 97 so he can eat that
It's pretty common for scaling to be capped for math standard
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.25.13 am.png
Personally I think 97 raw in standard is a lot harder to get than a 90 ish raw in advanced.
A 90 raw in advanced aligns to around 95 which has a decently higher atar contribution of 98.7 which is not necessarily the best but quite a decent bit better than standard.
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.26.34 am.pngScreenshot 2024-01-03 at 11.26.48 am.png
Edit: this is 2023 data

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)