am i dead? (1 Viewer)

amiscrewed1212

HSC
For context, I'm not dumb. I'm pretty intelligent and relatively witty, but I absolutely SUCK at school - the memorisation and regurgitation of material is just a struggle, particularly math. The only thing I have a somewhat natural understanding of is English, and I achieved a high rank without even looking at the book we're supposed to be studying, so that makes me feel a little better. Mental illness as well as personal problems pretty much completely killed my motivation up until about a week ago, and I only really recently started giving a shit about my ATAR.

Unfortunately, I feel this has come too late. The ATAR I have in mind at this point is 75-low 80s, but I just wanted to see if that was even possible at this point. The course I'm interested in has a 75 guaranteed admission ATAR.

Ranks:

SOR1- 60/99 (probably even lower after my last mark I received)
English Standard - 8/68
Ancient 5/17
Business 26/41
Maths STANDARD (embarrassing) 51/56
Modern 28/59

These are my ranks, as of right now. I have trials in about a month, where the exams weigh more than the internals have so far.

I was just curious - is it even possible for me to 'clutch up' in the upcoming trials? For the past week or so, I've absolutely knuckled down and knocked out 5-6 hours a day of pure study, give or take an hour with breaks and distractions. Can I even achieve a decent ATAR (above 65) with my absolutely abysmal maths/religion mark?

Is it possible for me to absolutely blitz the trials and HSC and wind up with a good ATAR? Or am I already screwed because of how much I gave up on my internals?

Any help is appreciated, as the stress is starting to get to me.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
ITS NOT OVER TILL ITS OVER, YOU STILL HAVE 50% LEFT OF ACTUAL HSC AND TRIALS!

*Copied and Pasted* from my monologue from another person who also felt screwed!

1) Did you do well in year 11, due to Coronavirus, there are some exceptions with Universities and some allow you to apply with Year 11 Results.

2) Take a step back and just reflect, write something down, rehash your memory. Just take your time off the poor results. Gotta be like the Kangaroo *Can't move backwards, only move forwards*. A step in the right direction would be to instead of losing precious time to grief, you could spend time revising mistakes and errors that were prevalent in your exam. Use the poor marks as a wake-up call for success. I have failed many times but it acts as the catalyst to review the feedback/mistakes as activation energy to do well.

3) Don't compare yourself to other people. Avoid saying (this guy got higher than me or whatevs), it would just bring you down and make you think that you are hopeless where you are actually not. I have faith in you. There have been so many success stories from F student to 90-ATAR. I have done this countless times and have failed just by being Jealous.

4) You should know what you are fighting for, a High ATAR, Uni Degree etc, if you know what you are fighting for, you should swear an oath to protect it, never let it go, the dwelling would break it. As doctor dusk says, write your goals down, I have a vision board with like a certain atar number, picture of a couple of great unis like UTS, UNSW, USYD, people who I will make proud, a younger self of me and it just tells me why I'm in this and why I will persevere.

PikaAnime123

HSC
What Velocifire has said is 100% correct! You still have a month before trials, and at least it's better late than never that you've made a schedule of studying for at least 5-6 hours a day! How you use the time you've organised will definitely be crucial in whether you can overcome a past average atar for the HSC. I suggest you forget about your internal subject rankings, and instead focus on the actual contents of the subject; which is something you can work on fixing after you understand what went wrong.

For now, I think you can leave English as a non-priority subject, and focus most of your attention on SOR and Maths. I'm not exactly sure how you could study for SOR, but there's a bunch of online resources in this website and other HSC-based websites for Maths that can give you detailed explanations of the different types of formula necessary to remember, and maybe even examples of how each Maths Topic will be asked during the HSC. There's also tutoring services available here, and past papers available for free to prepare you for HSC-style questions over at NESA.

Of course, how you choose to study the subjects depends on your learning style, but you shouldn't worry too much about struggling with memorisation. It's better to actually understand what's going on and how it's being done, rather than relying too much on memorising things like formulas. I too am struggling with Maths Standard, so I totally understand your feelings in that department xD Don't forget to study little bits and pieces of the other subjects that you're already doing well at just to ensure you don't forget what you've learnt! Even if you're studying the subject for only 10 minutes, at least you'll remember 10 minutes worth of content each time :D

Also, it's not the end if you fail to get your required ATAR! Make sure you've already signed up for alternate pathway entries, just as extra backup to get into the university and bachelor you desire! Just remember that you're not alone when it comes to stressing out for the trials and HSC when you think that you've got concerning internal rankings, we're all on the same boat ready to support one another >w< Sorry if this was too long or that it wasn't useful as advice...

Anh4life

HSC
For context, I'm not dumb. I'm pretty intelligent and relatively witty, but I absolutely SUCK at school - the memorisation and regurgitation of material is just a struggle, particularly math. The only thing I have a somewhat natural understanding of is English, and I achieved a high rank without even looking at the book we're supposed to be studying, so that makes me feel a little better. Mental illness as well as personal problems pretty much completely killed my motivation up until about a week ago, and I only really recently started giving a shit about my ATAR.

Unfortunately, I feel this has come too late. The ATAR I have in mind at this point is 75-low 80s, but I just wanted to see if that was even possible at this point. The course I'm interested in has a 75 guaranteed admission ATAR.

Ranks:

SOR1- 60/99 (probably even lower after my last mark I received)
English Standard - 8/68
Ancient 5/17
Business 26/41
Maths STANDARD (embarrassing) 51/56
Modern 28/59

These are my ranks, as of right now. I have trials in about a month, where the exams weigh more than the internals have so far.

I was just curious - is it even possible for me to 'clutch up' in the upcoming trials? For the past week or so, I've absolutely knuckled down and knocked out 5-6 hours a day of pure study, give or take an hour with breaks and distractions. Can I even achieve a decent ATAR (above 65) with my absolutely abysmal maths/religion mark?

Is it possible for me to absolutely blitz the trials and HSC and wind up with a good ATAR? Or am I already screwed because of how much I gave up on my internals?

Any help is appreciated, as the stress is starting to get to me.
You and I do some similar subjects such as SOR (but I do 2 unit), Math and English Standard. You should get an excel book for year 12 standard maths to help you with; they provide every example possible related to the HSC questions. How many trial papers have you done so far? If you need more (that are from CSSA, which i found on this website - you can email me on: ado2020@amitystudent.com to send you the links) As for SOR, you should look at past student responses on NESA or any graduate student from your school. You’re teacher may be able to help you with your responses and give you some tips (that’s what my teacher does - we do a few HSC questions in class in exam conditions and read it aloud so we can receive feedback)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)