HSC
Here are my subjects (and marks) in Year 11:
  • Standard English - 85%
  • Advanced Maths & Ext1 Maths. - 93% and 93%, respectively
  • Economics - 89%
  • Business Studies - 84%
  • Information Processes and Technology - 93%
  • Software Design and Development - 100%

In year 12, I am thinking of dropping IPT and SDD and picking up Extension 2 Maths. Can I achieve a 99+ ATAR with these selections?

MJRey

HSC
There is nothing wrong with dreaming... yes, I think you should be able to achieve a 99+ ATAR if you keep up the good work you're doing so far (or doing even better).

Gr00by

HSC
its possible just pretty hard. You'd have to high b6 all your subjects except Math Ext 2, the rest would have to be 94-95 at least to get above a 99 atar. But yeah it does depend on your school asw ig.

Paaandora

HSC
  • Standard English - 85%
  • Economics - 89%
  • Business Studies - 84%

In year 12, I am thinking of dropping IPT and SDD and picking up Extension 2 Maths. Can I achieve a 99+ ATAR with these selections?
improve english and eco

daddywal

HSC
its possible just pretty hard. You'd have to high b6 all your subjects except Math Ext 2, the rest would have to be 94-95 at least to get above a 99 atar. But yeah it does depend on your school asw ig.
How does my school influence my ATAR?

idkkdi

HSC
How does my school influence my ATAR?
your internal subject marks go up or down depending on how good your cohort is at those subjects (measured by using the external hsc exam performance). a 93% mark across assessments at a normal school isn't worth as much as a 93% across the internal assessments at james ruse.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
  • Standard English - 85%
  • Economics - 89%
  • Business Studies - 84%

Why would you drop SDD when you are getting 100%, and likely coming first?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
how is it? Is it difficult?
I mean I'm doing quite well in it; ranking 1st / borderline 2nd rn.

If you understand the main concepts of licenses, software approaches and how to write decent pseudocode and algorithms, Year 12 shouldn't be too hard. Most of the HSC content is very similar to Prelims; I feel like we only started learning new stuff (e.g., Sorts and Searches, Option Topic: Binary) towards the second half of the year. You should also (depending on your school) have a large practical programming assignment, and the trick with that is to not go too overboard and keep it simple to hit the key rubric areas.

Imo, SDD isn't too bad imo since most of the content (e.g., licenses, approaches, copyright stuff) is all common sense. The hard stuff is the algorithm writing under time pressure, metalanguages, your option topic, and more complex stuff like understanding the CPU and Fetch-Execute cycle.

If you stay on top of your weekly work and put in some effort, there isn't any reason not to keep a high-ish mark without going crazy, plus you'd keep and secure your high rank. Try make keeping your rank an incentive: that'll help push you to stay on track. Personally I'm interested in the theory that we learn, and it does actually help to go ahead a bit and watch a few yt videos to get that extra bit of understanding over your peers.

As a sidenote, SDD actually scales somewhat decently (on par with other subjects like Bio), so if that is something you're worried about - don't be.

You got this, whatever decision you make will be a good one - you seem on top of every other subject by your marks.

daddywal

HSC
Thanks for the scaling info... I was worried software doesn't scale well. I think if I choose not to do 4u maths (unlikely) I'll keep software, but otherwise business and economics match with my preferred uni course.

carrotsss

HSC
Thanks for the scaling info... I was worried software doesn't scale well. I think if I choose not to do 4u maths (unlikely) I'll keep software, but otherwise business and economics match with my preferred uni course.
Keep in mind business and economics aren’t usually prerequisites for uni courses, so it’s not the end of the world if you don’t do them

daddywal

HSC
Keep in mind business and economics aren’t usually prerequisites for uni courses, so it’s not the end of the world if you don’t do them
ik, it's just I enjoy both subjects and I'm decent at them... that's quite rare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)