am I eligible for an ATAR? (1 Viewer)

fumin

HSC
hey all, currently doing eng standard, math standard 2, business studies, hospitality vet, studies in catholic thought, and a language course worth 2 units for atar. From what I can find online, I need to do 8 units for ATAR, and 2 units of english. From my understanding, I am doing 8 ATAR units. What I don't know is whether those 8 units I need to do can include the 2 units of english. I'm in year 12 right now, and if I'm not eligible, is there anything I can do?

DanielTheMan

HSC
I dont really understand your question but you are eligible for an atar as you are doing Eng Standard (2 units), Business Studies (2 units), Hospitality (2 units), Maths standard (2 units) and your language course (2 units). That is 10 units in total which means you are eligible for an atar. Studies in catholic thought is a non atar course meaning it will not count towards your unit & atar.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The main rule is that 10 units will count towards your ATAR. Those 10 units consist of:
  • Your best 2 units of English. This means that in your case, English Standard will definitely count towards your ATAR.
  • Your other best performing 8 units worth of subjects. In your case, those 8 units will consist of Mathematics Standard 2, Business Studies, Hospitality and the language subject that you are taking.
Note that one of your subjects (Hospitality) is a Category B subject. Category B subjects offer an optional HSC exam, as opposed to Category A subjects, which constitute the rest of your subjects, where sitting the HSC exam is compulsory for successful completion of the subject. However, if you wish to receive an ATAR, it is mandatory to sit the optional HSC exam for Hospitality, making you eligible to receive an ATAR, since you would meet the main rule outlined above. Additionally, only 2 units of Category B subjects can count towards your ATAR. Since you are only taking Hospitality, you meet this requirement, ultimately making you eligible for an ATAR.

Another aspect to note in the case of Category B subjects is that the HSC mark is 100% dependent on the Examination Mark. Because of this, it is fully dependent on your own performance in the HSC exam of the particular Category B subject, meaning that it is not affected by factors that would normally apply to Category A subjects, such as your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank.

I hope this helps! :D

fumin

HSC
I dont really understand your question but you are eligible for an atar as you are doing Eng Standard (2 units), Business Studies (2 units), Hospitality (2 units), Maths standard (2 units) and your language course (2 units). That is 10 units in total which means you are eligible for an atar. Studies in catholic thought is a non atar course meaning it will not count towards your unit & atar.
The main rule is that 10 units will count towards your ATAR. Those 10 units consist of:
  • Your best 2 units of English. This means that in your case, English Standard will definitely count towards your ATAR.
  • Your other best performing 8 units worth of subjects. In your case, those 8 units will consist of Mathematics Standard 2, Business Studies, Hospitality and the language subject that you are taking.
Note that one of your subjects (Hospitality) is a Category B subject. Category B subjects offer an optional HSC exam, as opposed to Category A subjects, which constitute the rest of your subjects, where sitting the HSC exam is compulsory for successful completion of the subject. However, if you wish to receive an ATAR, it is mandatory to sit the optional HSC exam for Hospitality, making you eligible to receive an ATAR, since you would meet the main rule outlined above. Additionally, only 2 units of Category B subjects can count towards your ATAR. Since you are only taking Hospitality, you meet this requirement, ultimately making you eligible for an ATAR.

Another aspect to note in the case of Category B subjects is that the HSC mark is 100% dependent on the Examination Mark. Because of this, it is fully dependent on your own performance in the HSC exam of the particular Category B subject, meaning that it is not affected by factors that would normally apply to Category A subjects, such as your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank.

I hope this helps! :D
Wait, so hospitality VET is an ATAR course? I thought it was only for the cert IV in hospitality?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait, so hospitality VET is an ATAR course? I thought it was only for the cert IV in hospitality?
Yes, if you choose to sit the optional Hospitality HSC exam (which in your case, you will need to if you wish to receive an ATAR), Hospitality will be treated as an ATAR course (Category B) and will count towards your ATAR. This also means that receiving a certificate upon completion of this subject (similar to other Category B subjects, such as Business Services) is not the only benefit of taking this subject.

fumin

HSC
Yes, if you choose to sit the optional Hospitality HSC exam (which in your case, you will need to if you wish to receive an ATAR), Hospitality will be treated as an ATAR course (Category B) and will count towards your ATAR. This also means that receiving a certificate upon completion of this subject (similar to other Category B subjects, such as Business Services) is not the only benefit of taking this subject.
thanks, was getting worried because no teacher /career advisor ever brought it up and they knew my subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)