Am I going to fail year 12? (1 Viewer)

JasonPeterTodd

HSC
Hey guys!

So the prelims are coming up and suddenly I realise I've been slacking off the past year. :uhoh:
My ranks and results aren't that bad but my school's ranking isn't great either. I had so much motivation at the beginning of the year but ultimately ended up procrastinating. :(
I've never had any tutors (too expensive) and my parents generally aren't that strict so I don't have anyone to motivate me except for myself.

Anyways, I decided that starting next week I'd put my all into my studies (this time for real). Do you think I can get a 90+ ATAR if I start studying seriously now? Or is it already too late? Does anyone have similar experiences?

Thanks!

Lumenoria

HSC
Man chill out, if your 'prelims are coming up', then I'm assuming you're in Year 11? Objectively, none of your marks or rankings are relevant in Year 12, you start off fresh next term. But, it is advised that you should develop into good study habits and get into an effective routine before you drown in Year 12. For maths, the fundamental knowledge taught in Year 11 is crucial in order to understand the concepts in Year 12, but otherwise everything else will be fine as long as you start getting into good habits. I'm in Year 11 too, I don't have a tutor and I do well in a school ranked within the 130s. My parents don't care about school so I'm in the same boat as you, but for me the people around me are generally quite academically intellectual - which motivates to keep up with their level. Bad marks throw me off super easily, so I'm hoping I can start off Year 12 with really good marks so I stay motivated to maintain that streak. If you put in the effort, you will reap the rewards. I'm a massive procrastinator myself too, but I find that going to the library or cafe or the beach to study really makes me stay on task somehow - I literally don't check my phone for like 5 hours straight. So perhaps try studying in an environment other than your own home, because it may pleasantly surprise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingDuck

HSC
Rather than starting next week, why not start now? Saying that you're going to start next week is just another excuse to procrastinate more. It is possible to get a high atar but it's going to be an uphill climb; most people that do get a high atar spent prelims figuring out what's the best method of studying for them and also developing good study habits. You don't need to rely on expensive tutors or strict parents to do well; my parents are laid back (heck my mum thinks I study too much) and I don't get tutored, yet I've been doing pretty well this year. It's just matter of developing discipline to be able to avoid procrastinating rather than relying on motivation. For example, set a certain amount of time to focused study(no distractions) each day and stick to it. Regardless as long as you put the effort in, I'm sure you can get a 90+ atar.

Robbie M

HSC
Yeah like dude tbh, you don't burn out in yr 11, as people have said before, year 11, objectively counts for nothing, that being said, it is important to establish foundations and study habits. But yeah don't burn out dude like you've got a long way to go.
As for motivation, see if you can compete with friends or siblings, cousins ? maybe doing it unannounced to them so as not to scare them off, but that subconscious works for me

Take care

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
Take it from someone who is in Year 12 and IS failing, your ranks in Year 11 aren't necessarily (or at all) impactful on Year 12 but your study habits are. If you want a 90+ ATAR, just grind and study. There are so many tips and methods everywhere on how to excel at studying and in school in general but are only effective if you have something that pushes you every single day. That being said the ultimate key imo is what drives you everyday to get that 90+ATAR, establishing a study pattern that suits you is important but that doesn't mean go ape shit for the next 12 months or so. By the time HSC rolls around (and it's not far) sacrifice like 1-2 hours on a friday night and weekends to revise, it won't hurt and over time see if you can study for longer periods. Lol soz if it turned into a bit of a wisdom rant (i wish i told myself this ages ago fml)

Anyways what I'm trying to say is that while you have the time, establish study habits but don't burn yourself out (how ur meant to do that idk cos i barely study but goodluck). Aye if i barely passed Year 11 and I'm doing the HSC right now I'm pretty sure that anyone can do the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)