Am I royally fucked for Physics? (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
I'm garbage at Physics. I'm not very good at any subject but esspecially bad at Physics.

My raw mark is currently 57 percent. I imagine I'm ranked bottom 4 out of around 23.
My friend has a 90 percent raw mark and he's ranked around 8th himself. School did an ass job with the assessments. There were around 3 band 6s last year out of 23. There is still 50 percetn more in internal weighting. But everyone is already so ahead of me.

Are my internals fucked? Can I still get a band 5 or even a medium to high band 4?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I'm garbage at Physics. I'm not very good at any subject but esspecially bad at Physics.

My raw mark is currently 57 percent. I imagine I'm ranked bottom 4 out of around 23.
My friend has a 90 percent raw mark and he's ranked around 8th himself. School did an ass job with the assessments. There were around 3 band 6s last year out of 23. There is still 50 percetn more in internal weighting. But everyone is already so ahead of me.

Are my internals fucked? Can I still get a band 5 or even a medium to high band 4?
Depends.

If you're willing to go the extra mile and grind physics out to a point where you can make a comeback from bottom 4 to top 10, you can aspire for a B5 or even B6 if you go insane.

You're at a point where its possible to still touch that B6 range but you really need to commit yourself, you're not fucked but I would lower expectations on getting top 5 IF and ONLY IF you're not willing to put in all that effort.

Interdice

HSC
u on 12 units or 10 did u drop something else
I do 11 units. I think i can get a band E4 in Extension Math. I'm really working on that. I need it to save me in Physics.
i think I can get band 5 in chem(need to improve a bit), band 6 in math advanced, extension and Software Design and Development. Band 4 in this retarded subject and English.

Interdice

HSC
Depends.

If you're willing to go the extra mile and grind physics out to a point where you can make a comeback from bottom 4 to top 10, you can aspire for a B5 or even B6 if you go insane.

You're at a point where its possible to still touch that B6 range but you really need to commit yourself, you're not fucked but I would lower expectations on getting top 5 IF and ONLY IF you're not willing to put in all that effort.
Damn that's surprising. Thanks.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I'll just say Physics is the hardest subject you will take in your HSC disregarding English (English is hardest IMO because it is soooo boring) but the thing that makes it worth it is that its usually the most interesting out of them all.

For HSC Physics, you need to be very strong with your numerical calculation skills since 90% of problems will involve some sort of analysis and this is the easiest part for most of you. You must also be able to recognise how to incorporate equations and models in your responses for short to long answer questions and furthermore how to explain phenomena in a concise manner.

A big issue many students tend to make is that they focus too much on the "maths" side of physics, which while is highly vital, often leads to them overlooking equally as important aspects such as practical lab questions (your knowledge on "experimental" physics), long answer questions (which require you to have a vague understanding of the history of physics and its development) and lastly harder questions which involve more abstract reasoning.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I'll just say Physics is the hardest subject you will take in your HSC disregarding English (English is hardest IMO because it is soooo boring) but the thing that makes it worth it is that its usually the most interesting out of them all.

For HSC Physics, you need to be very strong with your numerical calculation skills since 90% of problems will involve some sort of analysis and this is the easiest part for most of you. You must also be able to recognise how to incorporate equations and models in your responses for short to long answer questions and furthermore how to explain phenomena in a concise manner.

A big issue many students tend to make is that they focus too much on the "maths" side of physics, which while is highly vital, often leads to them overlooking equally as important aspects such as practical lab questions (your knowledge on "experimental" physics), long answer questions (which require you to have a vague understanding of the history of physics and its development) and lastly harder questions which involve more abstract reasoning.
It is definitely worth the slog for Module 7 & 8. Its a shame the course is designed in such a way in which the more blander elements such as Advanced Mechanics are given more attention and in Preliminary vector mathematics takes up a semester, and let me remind you, the "mechanics" you learn is practically useless for undergrad in contrast with 4U mechanics.

Capitalise on the very lack-luster maths to focus more on consolidating the concepts of physics and if you always want to get a deeper understanding, you can find first year physics notes which are more adept at explaining certain topics. Other than that, just like maths, you have to grind through questions oftenly.

Interdice

HSC
It is definitely worth the slog for Module 7 & 8. Its a shame the course is designed in such a way in which the more blander elements such as Advanced Mechanics are given more attention and in Preliminary vector mathematics takes up a semester, and let me remind you, the "mechanics" you learn is practically useless for undergrad.

Capitalise on the very lack-luster maths to focus more on consolidating the concepts of physics and if you always want to get a deeper understanding, you can find first year physics notes which are more adept at explaining certain topics. Other than that, just like maths, you have to grind through questions oftenly.
Advanced Mechanics is Kickass though. It's so fun. Well as fun as Physics can be. I still prefer maths advanced. Electricity is lame. and Module 7 is so stupid. We litterally learnt about some guy who lived 400 years ago firing light through gears to determine the speed of light. Module 8 sounds fun though.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Advanced Mechanics is Kickass though. It's so fun. Well as fun as Physics can be. I still prefer maths advanced. Electricity is lame. and Module 7 is so stupid. We litterally learnt about some guy who lived 400 years ago firing light through gears to determine the speed of light. Module 8 sounds fun though.
Advanced Mechanics is more of a relief topic more than anything. Its there just to get you to a pass mark in an exam and not much. Not saying that mechanics is a boring topic, it's just more interesting explored with calculus - as it was intended to be. The space component is cool though albeit annoying in terms of numerical calculation.

Electromagnetism was the bulk of HSC Physics. The most I've studied for a topic. Personally it was interesting and somewhat mediocre. EM should definitely be the logo for HSC Phys.

Nature of Light was boring at certain parts however overall it was nice to pick up from waves. It was a good break from EM. Planck's equation was cool.

Universe to Atom was by far the best module in the whole of Physics and had the most interesting sub-topics ranging from the model of the atom, special relativity, astronomy etc. Unfortunately it's barely taught since its not as prioritised since its near trial to hsc exam period.

idkkdi

HSC

U tripping bruhv. 4us harder than phys objectively.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Nah I procrastinated 4U 99% of the time, it was just bare grind grind grind. 4U's pretty short but the topics are neat. If you're not well-versed with what you're supposed to do for physics and fall into common traps, it becomes pretty unsatisfying.

carrotsss

HSC
Nah 4u is just understanding a couple of concepts and having decent problem solving skills, whereas physics has way too much content to remember in mod7/8 and all of those stupid 8 marker history qs where u get marked down for not remembering some random guys name

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Nah 4u is just understanding a couple of concepts and having decent problem solving skills, whereas physics has way too much content to remember in mod7/8 and all of those stupid 8 marker history qs where u get marked down for not remembering some random guys name
physics has barely any content tho if u average it out across all modules

idkkdi

HSC
@ExtremelyBoredUser ngl I think u guys just have easy internals. u cant do some 4u qs without having seen them before. and if u want to see all the tricks it's a fucked number of qs.

carrotsss

HSC
@ExtremelyBoredUser ngl I think u guys just have easy internals. u cant do some 4u qs without having seen them before. and if u want to see all the tricks it's a fucked number of qs.
my internals are easy but based on most of the trials I’ve done they don’t seem that bad, like you can kinda figure it out most of the time and I feel like I always lose more marks on q14s than q16s

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yeah the HSC exam was hard but it wasn't impossible, but it was def harder than my internals and i feel like most papers.
My teacher just got the qs from the companies that would make trial papers and harder qs which he had a compilation of

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)