Am I Stuffed? (1 Viewer)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Okay, in Year 12. Doing chemistry. Pretty average at it. I can answer questions that don't involve...

EQUATIONS!!

Ones that do contain equations I usually F*ck up to the max.

Am I screwed? Or is it an easy thing to learn?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Everything in Chemistry should be pretty ok to grasp as long as you put the effort.

I went and learnt the entire Chemistry HSC course starting from half-way through the year, without any preliminary knowledge. I still managed ok.

But most of the equations in Chemistry are already made. i.e. you just need to memorise balanced formula e.g. the equation for fermentation of glucose. Just memorisation...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes I agree with that, it woul definitely be an advantage to know the basic prelim stuff, but I gave up on it :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Skillo

no you are not screwed. with practice, you will learn. consider getting a tutor for one lesson, tell them you want to do equations and that's it. they are actually simple maths, just har dto grasp if you don't understand what's happenning.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Okay, in Year 12. Doing chemistry. Pretty average at it. I can answer questions that don't involve...

EQUATIONS!!

Then well...yes you're pretty much stuffed. If you don't understand equations (the fundamental language of chemistry) then how can you understand chemistry at all? Also how would you balance equations (also required in the HSC)...

Ehh, what are your specific problems with equations exactly? Balancing? balancing simply goes back to the idea of conservation of mass. hence we must have equal moles on both sides of each atom. I'm guessing you're confused on what a mole is...

*sigh*

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
I reckon jus practice a lot of Eqn/Calculation Qs from a tbook (with answers preferably), and also like iambored said, maybe get a tutor to help u.
It also helps to understand the basics first, so jus keep revising and ask ur teacher/friends/BoS if u need help in anything :).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Equations are pretty easy to do, you just need to work on balancing one type of atom at a time and working through till it works.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC

EQUATIONS!!

You are nowhere near "stuffed" as most of them has already told you skillo :) The equations in the Prelim book is great. Also, since you still have some time before the HSC starts, maybe you should ask your chem teacher for some year 9/10 general equation sheets (they should have it), like those Metal + Acid ---> Salt + Hydrogen ones? Sounds familiar? Then after you have learnt the general rules, ask them for some past year 9/10 chem TEST paper (or EXAM papers: but you only do the chem section) because they are full of blanky equations to balance. I'm not sure how good/bad you are with equations, but doing that should help you with your primary objective - answer HSC questions.

Okay.. just in case you want to know.. you may ask: why do stupid chem questions? (hopefully you don't) Ultimately you are training yourself to think *chemically* (excuse the pun :)) And by doing that you will *understand* the concept of writing chemical equations, thus, applying the method to more complex equations. Remember, they key to do well in any HSC science subjects is to *understand*, not to *remember*.

Say you have already done those things mention above, then if you feel you need more practice, ask your chem teacher for some old year 11 textbooks. The equations in those books are pretty easy. They used to looooove equations and I found a lot of them when I was in year 10. These should take no more than a week if you stick to your plan :) So get started now and good luck!

Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
Then well...yes you're pretty much stuffed. If you don't understand equations (the fundamental language of chemistry) then how can you understand chemistry at all? Also how would you balance equations (also required in the HSC)...

Ehh, what are your specific problems with equations exactly? Balancing? balancing simply goes back to the idea of conservation of mass. hence we must have equal moles on both sides of each atom. I'm guessing you're confused on what a mole is...

*sigh*
That sounded pretty harsh... *meanie*

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i think if u know da basic rulz for riting the equations , u shud be fine!

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Then well...yes you're pretty much stuffed...

...I'm guessing you're confused on what a mole is...
Not harsh, just realistic.
it is quite harsh ;) consider that skillo is experiencing difficulty and he still has time

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC

*sigh*
For anyone that doesn't know, Chudymaster has some sort of...vendetta against me...it all started once upon a time in the English Advanced forum when he decided to submit some very poor advice to future HSC students.
It isn't the balancing, its just some of the concepts that I don't understand, as during the preliminary course I was away for 4 weeks with glandular fever when my class did it. Since then haven't really been able to grasp some of the concepts.

Chudy, if you're not going to say anything constructive...and I find your comments degrading and totally egotistical...don't say anything at all. My god, you are a shit and a half. Go find yourself a life, or some tact.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've got a tutor. Joy. All it took was one phone call.

:D

P.S...I'm a girl...:p
PPS: I'm not confused on what a mole is...dickhead.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
hmm i'm assuming he means equations as in, calculation equations invovling moles and mass. but there are euqation to show reactions ie. in galvanic cells that teacher just love. if you show an equation in these, then your teacher/marker will love you. i think in this case, equations for these arent really important but its these equations that distinguish kids in band 6.

but if youre talking about the mass type of questions, then you should really be thankfull that this is the new HSC. it was mainly based on calculations before and no theory. as suggested above, i believe you should get a private tutor for a lesson and tell them what your problem is.

edit: you have a tutor ? :D good stufff :) make sure theyre helping you and answering your questions. not lazing about ;) theres too many of them out there :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz, i was wondering where did the meanness of chudymaster cum from... lolz i got pissed off at a guy in bos in chinese forum too... but apparently, he hasn't shown up lately... so yea, let him go once...

also, skillo... feel free to ask in bos... aprt from pplz who dun really lyk u - wifout mentionin any names - others are more lykly to help u as much as their time allows...

^^

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
For anyone that doesn't know, Chudymaster has some sort of...vendetta against me...it all started once upon a time in the English Advanced forum when he decided to submit some very poor advice to future HSC students.
It isn't the balancing, its just some of the concepts that I don't understand, as during the preliminary course I was away for 4 weeks with glandular fever when my class did it. Since then haven't really been able to grasp some of the concepts.

Chudy, if you're not going to say anything constructive...and I find your comments degrading and totally egotistical...don't say anything at all. My god, you are a shit and a half. Go find yourself a life, or some tact.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've got a tutor. Joy. All it took was one phone call.

:D

I was being as honest as I can. If anything I was HELPING you - at this stage if you can't deal with equations, it's best not to do the subject if you don't have to. Then again, good you got a tutor. Whoopty do.

As for my advice on the english forum, it's your opinion whether it is poor or not, don't forget that. I haven't got anything personal against you btw.

And another thing - I've DONE the HSC, unlike you, so if you don't like what I say, then you're probably ignoring reality.
Then again I was also prepared to help you with equations, but obviously you don't want my help.

Btw, shut up xiao, I ain't mean- (cmon, tell em about all the good things I did at HBHS :rolleyes: )

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
I was being as honest as I can. If anything I was HELPING you - at this stage if you can't deal with equations, it's best not to do the subject if you don't have to. Then again, good you got a tutor. Whoopty do.

As for my advice on the english forum, it's your opinion whether it is poor or not, don't forget that. I haven't got anything personal against you btw.

And another thing - I've DONE the HSC, unlike you, so if you don't like what I say, then you're probably ignoring reality.
Then again I was also prepared to help you with equations, but obviously you don't want my help.

Btw, shut up xiao, I ain't mean- (cmon, tell em about all the good things I did at HBHS :rolleyes: )
umm... it's our job (that's what I feel at least) to give whatever help we can in the best manner to them chudy and make them feel welcome is a very important thing... I'm not sure what happened before but com'on chudy, you're a bit childish there, and not the mention you're a bit too *showy*

we are here to help or be helped..

abdooooo!!!

Banned
mole? ahahaha ... this is making me laugh... molehead

Mole: "A spy who operates from within an organization, especially a double agent operating against his or her own government from within its intelligence establishment."

chem equations are not hard to learn at all... there are like a handful of rules that you apply, and the rest is just memory of chemicals and how they react. :)

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Originally posted by mitochondria
umm... it's our job (that's what I feel at least) to give whatever help we can in the best manner to them chudy and make them feel welcome is a very important thing... I'm not sure what happened before but com'on chudy, you're a bit childish there, and not the mention you're a bit too *showy*

we are here to help or be helped..
Okey Dokie. I'm not usually that uptight, just got carried away. Sorry all, sorry Skillo.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
it's okay chudy! ummm.. really, I meant that in a friendly way, but it's all good now :) way to go chudy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)