Am I the only demotivated wreck here? (1 Viewer)

AB2006

HSC
@ glitterfairy - Thanks. Sort of got some plot based idea, the story isnt really plot based, probably a poor choice of words on my behalf, probably more complication stuck

@ sung - es, same here, ripped to shreds, the ideas are...brilliant in my head (ops normal) but once we get to paper...bye bye memory and creativity

Porcia

HSC
sung said:
By the way, im doing extension 2 maths as well so my time to work on ee2 english is very very limited. Boo hoo now im a really procrastination(ish) mood.
yeah im doing 4u math 4u eng as well... pm me!

HSC
N/A
sung said:
I'm in a similar situation.
After writing for the entire holidays, I made the 8000 word limit only to have it torn to shreds by my ee2 teacher when we came back. I now have to start again and although i know exactly what it is that i want to do i just cant seem to get it out on paper.
I didn't have as big a word count but went through a very similar feeling when I had to write something for my ENGL218 (aka creative writing) class at uni.

The problem with me is in the way I "see" my story. For some reason I tend to see my inspiration in a kind of internal movie format (even though film/script stuff is TOTALLY not my forte), combined with a fleeting emotional feeling. Translating that into words is major :S, regardless of what your creative inspiration process is. You really just have to give it your best shot... if you sit there thinking you're never going to get it, you really won't (as you will have nothing on paper! haha!)

I think many of us will our our stuff ripped into pieces at least once. I had my first working draft TOTALLY torn by my first external critic :p I had a serious think about what she'd wrote and realised that she had some valid points, AND some invalid points (but due to fact I hadn't made myself clear enough). I went through my work and circled the bits I liked and the bits I thought had potential... I then REWORKED (read: "rework", not "burn it and start all over from scratch") my story. It went in a completely new direction with a totally new feel, but it ended up working much better than my original idea.

Sometimes things just aren't going to work for you personally, OR they are not going to work as well as other things might. This is just a fact of life, it's nothing to beat yourself up over. Just try something else - try a twist. Isolate the problems and fix them - it is rarely the entire work at fault.

sung said:
I always just write something then quickly delete it, thinking that its not good enough. Starting again has made me really demotivated and i feel like i have to drop but i really dont want to.
I'm drowning "gurgle gurgle"
Going back to my own creative process here, but since my "inspiration" is so fleeting I rarely get to write long extended pieces. Rather, I find myself writing short ones in succession that may have NOTHING to do with each other, and/or be in no chronological order. DON'T THROW THESE AWAY! It is good stuff, you have just not found it's "place" yet.

What I do is I keep all these "workshopped" pieces at the end of my word under a dotted line or similar. This way it's always easy to flick down and look at them - don't freak out if you think they're bad, or think they don't make sense. Several of my "workshopped" pieces only ended up in my first and final drafts - because they really only "fit" in then (we're talking a time frame of about 6 months here!!!). But I'm glad I kept them, because they ended up being perfect!

I'm not sure if you go through the same thing, but my point is to hang onto all your stuff :)

I've never heard of someone being able to write a perfect story, or part of a story, in one draft. It's almost as if for every good piece you write, there's an additional 5 pieces of crap you had to go through in order to get to the good stuff - but you needed to go through those 5 pieces of crap FIRST in order to develop the good stuff!

We make things better by refining. But we need SOMETHING to refine - that's the stuff you think is bad :p Keep it there. Make notes on what you like about it, or how you'd like it to improve. Then improve it. If you still don't like it, repeat the process until you are satisfied. :)

*throws giant plastic duckies for people to hang onto*

Last edited:

sung

HSC
Thanks Glitter fairy, that was very helpful of you. You are a really nice person. Thanks for the motivation.

feefa

HSC
Hey guys, this is my first post so I feel like such a twit...

Am I the only person who goes overboard and can only concentrate on ext 2? I just spent my whole weekend buried in my work...

Is this normal!? xxxx

HSC
N/A
Yup. :) I'm sure you've discovered that like many of us, creative inspiration comes in waves - it can take a while to start but when it happens, it's like a steamtrain that just steamrollers on!

Unfortunately you need to learn to control yourself in order to do work for other subjects though :( Take advantage of writing phases if you can, but do make sure you get your other stuff done/don't fall too far behind.

pungemo

HSC
Inspiration is not something that can be ignored. When you suddenly 'know' what you want to do it can be very difficult to put it aside to concentrate on maths assessments and economics essays. Extension 2 is just so different from other work that it is almost impossible to resist, and becomes more so the more work is being done. Makes it a challenge around assessments.

HSC
I too am a demotivated wreck. Back from holidays to find that I crashed and burned in a subject I love and have been topping (58% for Ancient History) I am now totally dispirited about my ext 2 story. It's hovering around 2000 words, and it really should be all falling into place as I have a firm idea of what things have to happen, I have written out 'plot plans'
but it all has no meaning. I don't even want to hand it in to my teacher because compared to the other ext2 person in my class its a piece of crap written by a 10 year old.
It's just a story and I have been worrying that it's boring, or that when I write my reflection statement I won't have anything to say beyond:
"I wrote this story (based on a true story) because I like to write."

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I felt so much motivation in Term 4. I was writing everyday and finishing everything and studying.
Now come Term 2 - Oh where, oh where has my motivation gone? oh where, oh where can it be?!

This weekend I aim for 3000 words on my Ext 2 and then by next weekend i'll have finished with another 2000 words :D

passion89

HSC
I am so damn demotivated, too.

Though in my moment of glory I managed to expel 5000 words. I'm aiming for around 2000 more so let's pray for the best :)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
sweetish said:
I have done absolutely nothing for my short story! its my fault, but im just so demotivated! sure ive done bits of research here and there, but they are so absolutely unrelated! How are you guys doing it?! Do you guys do the whole writing samples of what you think your story may be like, etc?

Listen I did my story literally at the last minute. The 'first draft' was when I typed straight off the top of my head for over a day. The second draft was cutting that back to under 8000 words. The third draft was printing that off and finding stupid mistakes (then giving it to my teacher to try and find any mistakes I missed), then I prettied it up and handed it in.
I recommend not leaving it that late, but I received a decent mark and I'm in uni so I'm not complaining.
I might have suffered though because I fudged my journal but didn't really have time to do it well. My entries began getting messier since I was writing them all at one after the other.

HSC
i like ur information! but...ah.. just how late exactly are u talking? please say a week before its due *fingers crossed in hope*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)