Amazing Grace as a Romanticism Related Text? (1 Viewer)

jenga218

HSC
So my teacher gave us a list of suggested related texts for Romanticism, and the 2007 film "Amazing Grace" was on the list. Since I absolutely loved the movie, I thought I'd attempt it.

I'm finding some aspects of Romaticism in it really easily: Wilber's love and appreciation for nature, how it is represented in the film; His humanitarian efforts to abolish the slave trade fit in nicely; and his sense of the supernatural in finding God are all Romantic concepts.

But I'm struggling at finding examples of imagination used in the film, as well as with analysing it in terms of a text: I keep wanting to prove that Wilberforce was a Romantic, rather than demonstrating elements of Romanticism in the film itself, as a literary text. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
- Jane

hendo144

HSC
Im doing Romanticism aswell, but in relation for related texts, my teacher stipulated strongly to choose texts from the Romantics era and not out of it. Perhaps due to the authenticity of the text to have romantic paradigms within it.
Thats perhaps why you are finding it hard to find Romantic elements within it.

obliscape

HSC
Not a good idea to use Amazing Grace.
I've always heard that you should use a text from the Romantic era.
I remember reading markers comments and they said something like those people that used text outside of the era struggled to link it to Romanticism hence poor responses.
So best find something from the period D:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)