amd or pentium (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
if your a gamer get AMD
if you plan to you it for programs/servers get pentium :)

Rahul

Dead Member
lol....from wat i noe(which is not much)
get apple only if u are/planning to do graphics as a profession/huge hobby/uni course, otherwise they can be hard compatibility wise(and salad is going to jump at me, but face it, the general person will face difficulties)
pentium4 is good....but make sure u keep everything organised, have all filles in proper order, get antivirus(es), spyware/adware programs, because wen u get a new comp u will go a bit crazy with the downloading of new features/appz/etc. so from experience u need to be protected from the start.
have no idea abt amd's....but from the sound of it, it could be quite helpful....ur toes can get quite cold these nights.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
get apple only if u are/planning to do graphics as a profession/huge hobby/uni course, otherwise they can be hard compatibility wise(and salad is going to jump at me, but face it, the general person will face difficulties)
Not true. Mac's are easy to use with other OS's. I currently use a Mac in my room, Windows98SE downstairs and Linux at Uni. And they all work in harmony (with NO floppy disks ...)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
:mad1:... nah, fair enough :p. i'm not that much of a gamer, and i am studying a graphic design degree (well, officially it's visual communication, but i've always thought that sounded a bit wanky :p). not much bothers me in terms of compatability (it has improved alot in osx, though), but then again i usually work on macs at home and uni. so..........

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey, if the amd heats up easily, will i need to buy a special fan or something? besides the heating aspect, is it better or shitter than pentium?

Person

one of them
yea give amd a go its cheaper, but if u got cash to burn get p4 with HT

if u have time n on a budget get a duron 900mhz for like $80 n overclock it to 2ghz, since they run on lower power they dont overheat as easily n u can overclock it alot, but u stil should have som heatsinks or fans

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yes amd's run real hot u need a good fan to support it

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
im gettin new comp too
im opting athlon 2700+ over pentium 2.4
amd's have slower clock speeds, but faster performance. The chip does get hotter, so amd comes wiv more powerful fan, which means ur pc is more noisy. So your ears might not feel as good, but all will be compensated by the extra weight in ur wallet.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by McLake
Not true. Mac's are easy to use with other OS's. I currently use a Mac in my room, Windows98SE downstairs and Linux at Uni. And they all work in harmony (with NO floppy disks ...)
no doubt macs ARE good....its jus that many applications arent made mac compatibel. the majority of the world uses ibm, so there will be some definite disadvantages of mac users.

salad:
macs seem like the perfect(only?) option. we have osx on out emacs at school, but i think i mentioned b4...they r such a waste coz they r no use to us. cheaper comps could have done wat was needed.

btw, i have P4 1.7( abt a year old now)

Huy

HSC
N/A
i'm going to sway with the p4c's

*looks at his computer*

800fsb, o/c to 1ghz+
stock 2.4c northwood o/c to 3.3 :D

btw, air cooling
best bang for your buck

if you're low on the dough, go with amd
be sure to get a proper hsf

im running on a 2.4c though i've got a 3 (stock) o/ced to the same 3.5 mark. it goes well with a quiet case (never goes past 25C idle and 35C under load, great stuff)

Rahul

Dead Member
i know huy, that was hectic postage....i knew abt 7 words from that post, most of them were 'computer, 'the', 'looks'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)