• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

AMEB Grade 4 Piano Exam. HELP!!! (2 Viewers)

Stephfication

HSC
I have to do my grade 4 AMEB piano exam in about 6 weeks. I only started about 4 months ago and I am very unprepared. So If any of you know what part of the exam (ie, theory, general knowledge, scales ect.) is worth the most marks or if you know how many marks are awarded for each componant of the exam please let me know! It would really help so that I can concentrate on the areas worth the most marks! Thanks! :D

FTW

HSC
Not to freak you out: but I fail this exam lol. I then went on to do 5th grade 6 months later and got a B+

That being said there is no said "mark" hence why I failed. It is very much like english - extremely subjective marking.

Just play your best and you'll be fine.

dionb2014

HSC
I got a distinction in grade 4, but like FTW said it is extremely subjective and I had a nice examiner. Make sure when you practice scales that you don't just go for speed but accuracy and the same with arpeggios etc. When you are practicing scales do not rush them. Repeat the same scale over and over and over until you feel as though you could play it in your sleep. Although the pieces make up lots of the grade you can really build yourself up to a good mark through the technical work

jnney

lemon
HSC
dude you have 6 weeks. i know that's not very long, but still, if you practice every day you should be fine. good luck! the 4th grade exam isnt THAT hard :p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't play piano but I did do violin Prelim-Grade 3 with decent marks but failed Grade 4 :p

My tech tip for you; my comment on the report reads something about the pieces, aural, general knowledge and all those sections being fine...but the lack of technological knowledge in scales and arpeggios means she could not pass me. So essentially, learn your scales and arpeggios. Don't be like me and accidentally play a D minor harmonic instead of a normal D :p I think to pass you have to be just decent in all the sections-playing your pieces well but messing up all your scales results in a fail. Honestly, you have six weeks and if you're actually thinking about and practicing for it now (not the week before like me) you'll be fine. And in music exams, most examiners I had were nice except my last one. It was like she deliberately tried to put me off.

zombies

HSC
I completed my 6th grade for Piano a few years back (thank god I don't have to do exams anymore). There are no specific number of marks awarded for each section of the exam. There aren't really any marks at all. Just either a tick if you can do something, or a tick if you can't. I suggest you focus most on your scales and your pieces... they're the main bit. As long as you can perform those solidly, you'll be set to go.

Also try and remember some info on each of your pieces. Just make some notes, and read it to yourself each today. I also find that if you write on a spare copy of your music, and then read off that, it helps you remember. Make sure you know the key signature, a little bit of info on the composer, what form the piece is in and what period its from and all the terms that are written on the music. Ask your teacher for what you should know.

Also.. I know sight reading and all that aural work is a part of it as well. I'm sure your teacher will spend a little bit of time each lesson going over that for you.. but don't stress too much.

Some examiners are really nice, and even if you stuff up your scales or pieces a bit, they just know you're nervous and ignore the little mistakes you make. But some are really strict and can be really harsh on their marking.. so you just gotta hope for the best.

Good luck with your exam! Just keep practicing everyday and I'm sure you will do fine.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I have to do my grade 4 AMEB piano exam in about 6 weeks. I only started about 4 months ago and I am very unprepared. So If any of you know what part of the exam (ie, theory, general knowledge, scales ect.) is worth the most marks or if you know how many marks are awarded for each componant of the exam please let me know! It would really help so that I can concentrate on the areas worth the most marks! Thanks! :D
What pieces are you going to play?

HSC
Uni Grad
The pieces count for the most part, but don't forget about the rest of the stuff that you need to learn.

In the scales, practice the required scales you're going to play every day, for 15-20 minutes.

For the pieces, just practice the sections you continue to make mistakes on. Also listen to recordings and evaluate your performance from there.

For general knowledge, you should check that up on the syllabus. I think they will ask you rather basic stuff, such as the key plan of the piece, as well as the composer + his/her nationality, etc (there's a book full of general knowledge for the pieces if you're using the main 4th grade book anyway)

Practice some of the sight reading and aural work too. There should be a book full of those examples somewhere (I have a photocopy but not the actual book)

IMO most examiners I have had seem to be pretty nice, and don't put pressure on you (exception of my 7th grade examiner T_T)

Stephfication

HSC
@shadowdude
I'm going to play:
List a: leichte fuge by Telemann
List b:rondo by czerny
List c: le petit oiseau by tansman
And my extras the constant bass & definitely blue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)