Amelie. Post Modernism (1 Viewer)

2gig

HSC
Was wondering if anyone here did/is doing the film, Amelie for their related text for postmod? IM DESPERATE... how did you analyse/what postmod themes/techniques are there?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
film techniques
particularly the overall structure of the film
the storytelling aspect

~LEAH~

HSC
I talked about the use of Self-reflectivity particularly with reference to the bit where she turns to the camera in the cinema and says "I like to watch people's faces"

*Pastiche: Use of animation of the animals in her portrait. By doing this the composer subverts established genre and challenges the film's construction

*Asthetics are more important than plot

*The way she reworks truth with the creation of the letter.

" Jeunet points out that it is not integrity or realism which is important but rather the immediate gratifications as promised by the small pleasures in life; a truly postmodern concept. By using self-reflectivity, Jeunet emphasizes other postmodern signposts: pastiche, parody and the collapse of time and space, drawing attention to the fact one is viewing a film and subsequently communicating the postmodern subtext of the text." (that was a quote from my feature article that we had to write earlier this term)

I hope this helps :)

HSC
I don't do post modernism, in fact i am in Victoria doing VCE, but i studied Amelie in Media, so some of the things i covered might be relevant.
I would say that the use of filmic techniques like putting the beating heart outside her top so you can see it (when she sees Nino), and the key when she gets a copy of Collignon's key made.
Also maybe surrealist-type things like when she turns into zorro briefly after she goes into Collignon's flat for the first time and she inscribes a big Z on the door.
In terms of animating, not only the pictures in her room as someone else mentioned, but also the set of four photos that Amelie wrote on the back of for Nino, as they become animated and talk to him at one point.
Also the fact that it includes imaginary things in the film - the things she imagines on the tv such as her funeral, and also the imaginary giant green alligator that she plays with near the beginning of the film.
Also maybe that there are a lot of genres, because at points it is a comedy, at others a romance, at others a drama etc.
Possibly the constant narration strikes me as a somewhat post-modern thing.

Also i believe the fact that Amelie is a dominant female character who ultimatly succeeds in overthrowing her evil male binary opposite (collignon) and that she achieves her goal of finding love is a post-modern idea, as dominant female characters were not seen previously. (i think this is right - i studied post-modernism in relation to buffy in yr 10 and we said that of her character).

Anyways, all of this may in fact be completely useless to you, but i figured i would put it up anyway just in case!

Samwise89

HSC
I also used Amelie as my Pomo related text for my trial, and because it was kind of last minute, it was hard. However, my teacher gave me heaps of feedback which really helped. He said that it is particularly throug characterisation that the film undermines the status quo and challenges the grand narrative. Amelie doesn't fit the normal stock character, especially with her quirks and the contact that she has with the audience. This subverts the audiences expectations, and therefore challenges the nature of representation. I also looked at intertextuality, such as the Z Amelie draws on the door of her neighbour's apartment, the death of Princess Di and the Raymond Dufayel painting 'Luncheon of the Boating Party' - this assists in creating a self-reflexive feel to the movie, which is a post-modern technique
I hope this all helps!! Any other feed back on Amelie would be great, esp. for the HSC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)