America or Australia? (1 Viewer)

Nico51UStudy

HSC
N/A
Hello,

I am going to be finishing school soon, and have started looking towards different universities, with the hopes of doing an Engineering degree.

I have bit of a crossroads, with 2 major options, both of which have their merits and I cannot decide the better one:
I am considering applying to a high end university in America, most likely MIT, though possibly CalTech or Stanford. The other option is ofcourse staying here in Melbourne and applying for the University of Melbourne. I have compiled the following list of Pro's and Con's for both, and would like some advice:

MIT:
-Superior Education
-More Freedom (Away from parents)

Melbourne University:
-Located at home
-Friends and Family all here
-Lower Drinking Age ;)
-Decent Education

(Yes, the enjoyment and fun are also important to me)

From this, it seems I am throwing up a better education up against home, friends, family and the like. After graduating, I plan on moving back here to Australia regardless of job offers or the country in which I studied.

So my question is, how much better is the education at MIT, will it make a difference later in life, and is it worth leaving friends and family behind for it?

For further education, I am planning on getting a Masters after my bachelor, no sure whether I would do it at MIT or in Melbourne Uni, even if I got my bachelor at MIT. I also see a PHD as a big possibility, though that will definitely happen back here at Melbourne Uni

Many Thanks!
Ok, First of all, it takes a TON of preparation to get into a school like MIT. Yes, it will increase your ability to find a job in the future, DEFINITELY. I have nothing against Melbourne Uni. I actually got a masters there, and also got a masters from Columbia University in New York. Yes. I have lived in Harlem. Is America scary sometimes? Yes. Does it make you stronger. Also, yes! Traveling anywhere is dangerous. At the risk of sounding cliche "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". Why not try for MIT, and if you don't get in, the safer, easier option will be University of Melbourne.

If you need any help with your application, or practice / tutoring with SATs, or any kind of advice on applying to university in the U.S., you should check out www.51UStudy.com.au. We may be able to help.

Cheers and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)