America refuses to accept defeat in Olympic medal count (1 Viewer)

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
It was the perfect end to a perfect Olympic Games for China as the Olympic flame was handed over to London in one of the world's greatest stadiums last night. As memories of a sensational Games faded, China celebrated achieving its ultimate aim of heading the Olympic medals table for the first time. Unless you are in America, where you will discover that Team USA remain the force in world sport.
The race for the Olympic title is measured in medals, it just depends on which medals you consult. The IOC issues its league table based on the number of golds won, which gives China the honours, but then admits that there is no official system in place to decide who is top dog. So the American public is reading tables counting the total number of medals, including silver and bronze, won at the Games. On that measure, the US keep the whip hand over the home nation.
The undeniable fact, though, is that this has been China's Games in every sense. A century ago at the 1908 Games in London, China did not even field a team. Now they have overtaken Russia and loom in the US's sights. In Beijing, China contested almost every event and, even where they could not win medals, showed signs that they will be a formidable force in London.
Even in their weakest sports, there were breakthroughs. In sailing, for example, Yin Jian won China's first medal when she took windsurfing gold. She is just the start: in Qingdao, the venue for the Olympic sailing regatta, there are already 80 yacht clubs with 42 schools offering specific courses in sailing for more than 2,000 children. China plans to take over from Britain in ruling the Olympic waves.

Whatever way they count, the fact remains that Beijing was the first time in 72 years that the US have not headed the gold-medal standings - and it has clearly hurt, never more so than on the track, where US officials were talking up the team's performance while quietly launching an internal inquiry into what went wrong.
The answer was Usain Bolt, of course, the phenomenon who ended America's grip on the 100 metres. Jamaica blasted the US off the podium at Beijing's Bird's Nest stadium and claimed dominance of the high-speed events for men and women. Six golds and a total of 11 medals was an impressive performance from a country with a population of three million, a fifth of the number of residents of Beijing.
Like Australia, who sank from fourth in Athens to sixth in Beijing on the IOC medals table, the US will have to accept that the rest of the world is catching up fast and that they will not be able to flex their sporting muscles for much longer.
The US may feign ignorance, but there is a new Olympic order led by China, whichever league table you read.
proof: http://2008games.nytimes.com/olympics/medals.asp

LOL

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Last week when I saw a medal tally with America at the top being shown on Fox News. My first thought was "typical Americans".

It was followed up with one of the presenters going crazy about US gymnasts being ripped off because China cheated (one of their gymnasts is apparently only 14). I get that they might be upset but it was way over the top.

I don't really have a problem with counting total medals, but it is obvious that America are doing it because they think they are better than everyone else so in this case I think it is kind of pathetic.

I think they should have 2 official medal tallies. One based on total and one based on gold. Either that or work out a ranking system based on the combination of both.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: America refuses to accept defeat in Olympic medal count

Point system IMO, although america did win via amount of medals won, the Chinese just ripped them to shreds with the amount of Gold medals.

Last edited:

MissSarajevo

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: America refuses to accept defeat in Olympic medal count

Even Pakistan refused to accept defeat at the hands of India despite losing 3 wars, leading to the break up of Pakistan into two , pakistan and bangladesh. I dont see a problem with US refusing to concede in the Olympic, after all Phelps 8 golds are more precious, more popular, more important and more significant than China's 51 golds :D

Charizard

HSC

Eh i think the total medals argument does have some merit.

A country with 1 gold and 75 silver medals is clearly more successful at an olympics then one with 2 golds and no other medals.

That said, half of the USA's medals came from phelps anyway so sif they can complain

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: America refuses to accept defeat in Olympic medal count

Charizard said:
Eh i think the total medals argument does have some merit.

A country with 1 gold and 75 silver medals is clearly more successful at an olympics then one with 2 golds and no other medals.

That said, half of the USA's medals came from phelps anyway so sif they can complain
Hence why a point system wouldn't be too bad.

5 for Gold. 2 for Silver 1 for bronze?

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC

MissSarajevo said:
Even Pakistan refused to accept defeat at the hands of India despite losing 3 wars, leading to the break up of Pakistan into two , pakistan and bangladesh. I dont see a problem with US refusing to concede in the Olympic, after all Phelps 8 golds are more precious, more popular, more important and more significant than China's 51 golds :D
wow, what a fucking comparison.
and they didnt lose 3 wars mofo.....thts for another time.

go suck on uncle sams dick.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: America refuses to accept defeat in Olympic medal count

tommykins said:

Gold!

MissSarajevo

HSC

US press always use medal tally based on Total medals , but retards have only realised this year.

bigboyjames said:
wow, what a fucking comparison.
and they didnt lose 3 wars mofo.....thts for another time.

go suck on uncle sams dick.
go your ass kicked by indians you paki!

free baluchistan! :hammer:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
By ordering medals by gold you are ignoring the value of the other medals, but by looking at total you are making out like bronze is gold. I prefer to go by number of gold, that way even tiny countries can make leaps in the ranks if they aquire one gold over other countries that have tonnes of athletes and 2nds and 3rds but not many 1sts. A point system can still overly favour larger countries compared to rank by gold, plus i think theres a qualitative difference between the best and those that come 2nd/3rd not a quantitative one. Just a person preference really.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Imo they should pick the top medal earner for each country. Each medal earner should then be sent out to different districts of china to educate people about the events of tiananmen square and about how tibet should be freed. The athlete that evades the authorities for the longest wins.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Don't you think they should use some kind of point system like one for bronze and 3 points for gold?

hsb39

HSC

tommykins said:

I would take it to further extremes, to give the smaller countries that cannot have many people competing but may get a gold medal a chance:

Gold: 20
Silver: 3
Bronze:1.

hsb39

HSC

Exphate said:
Then the most golds wins anyway.

Thus, point is void.

Retards.
It does have some effect, for example, if China was to get 1 more Gold but 7 less Silver America would win, but (to my understanding), if China got 1 more Gold but 20 less Silver and 50 less Bronze China would win. Correct me if I'm wrong.

spiny norman

HSC

hsb39 said:
It does have some effect, for example, if China was to get 1 more Gold but 7 less Silver America would win, but (to my understanding), if China got 1 more Gold but 20 less Silver and 50 less Bronze China would win. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you're wrong, but how much of that is just really poor grammar I'm unable to say.

HSC
Does that really matter?

America fades out if it keeps its arrogance anyway.

No need for further Anti-Americanism

HSC
"WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH"

Lol pretty impressive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)