• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

American Politics (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
who listened to Bobby Chindals speech? His speech was totally cringeworthy.

i really don't understand the republicans, the only way they are going to get back into power is if they look outside their base. all these nuts like Steel, Palin, Bobby etc WILL NOT WIN THEM THE NEXT ELECTION. They really need to find someone more centric, but the thing is they already HAVE THAT SOMEONE.

RON FUCKING PAUL. why is it soo hard for these nuts?

Lentern

HSC

i really don't understand the republicans, the only way they are going to get back into power is if they look outside their base. all these nuts like Steel, Palin, Bobby etc WILL NOT WIN THEM THE NEXT ELECTION. They really need to find someone more centric, but the thing is they already HAVE THAT SOMEONE.

American politics surely will operate under a different set of rules to Australia's so i'm not entirely sure of this but if you are to transfer my impressions of Australian politics that it's not so much what they advocate in the campaign(to an extent) that will make or break the campaign but whether they can project the impression of soundness. I don't think it was what Palin said she wanted to do that made her seem so dangerous but that it wasn't clear just how radical she could go. Under Sarah Palin invading Russia is imaginable, that kind of thing. The unpopularity of the republicans will pass in time and they might curtail the extent of the losses over the next few years by moving to the centre but they won't win by doing it they will win by being boring, dull, greying, jack of all trades, all things to all people campaigners once the Democrats popularity begins to wane.

It was before my time really but I'm fairly confident Bill Clinton didn't sweep to power on a radical platform, nor was it really anticipated that there would be wars with Afghanistan, Iraq, the patriotic act etc under a Bush administration nine years ago. Heck I wonder if when the people voted for Obama whether they anticipated these really really big cash splashes.

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
I really was very much moved by the oratory of Obama. Even though he is without a doubt one of the best orators of our time, he doesn't seem to want to get down into the nitty-gritty of America's problems. And this is our problem as well, because however much we deny it, with Japan in a depression, and growth in China and India halving, we really are in for a deep deep decline. And if the US falls more, we have no chance.

I've begun to lose faith with Obama. Simple. Just like Rudd looks like a piece of shit now.

HSC
N/A
China and India have always been the centerpiece of the global economy since the dawn of human civilization. The balance of power is just shifting into its natural position.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I really was very much moved by the oratory of Obama. Even though he is without a doubt one of the best orators of our time, he doesn't seem to want to get down into the nitty-gritty of America's problems. And this is our problem as well, because however much we deny it, with Japan in a depression, and growth in China and India halving, we really are in for a deep deep decline. And if the US falls more, we have no chance.

I've begun to lose faith with Obama. Simple. Just like Rudd looks like a piece of shit now.
Huh? What exactly are you basing this on, other than your fickle, facetious and false political preferences and the fact that you've gotten bored of your new idolised toy?
Obama's entire oratory and rhetoric is based upon solving the largest problems of America. His campaign slogan was "change". He was put in place by the American people on the platform of making sweeping changes to politics, the economy, foreign relations and society at large.
And if you're going to say that he hasn't done much of that yet, don't bother. The man has been in power for less than two months. Let's see you fix a $15 trillion economy, a broken society, a ruined international reputation and a looming environmental catastrophe in 8 years, let alone one and a half months.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
China and India have always been the centerpiece of the global economy since the dawn of human civilization. The balance of power is just shifting into its natural position.
Breeding like rabbits can do that.

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
Yep yep. As you say, "his campaign slogan was "change". He was put in place by the American people on the platform of making sweeping changes to politics, the economy, foreign relations and society at large..."

Before I completely destroy your argument, I'd just like to point out the fact that I didn't say Obama hadn't done anything. I just happened to mention that he doesn't seem to want to tackle the hard questions. For me, this includes the economic crisis. The blatant idiocy in the banking system is what lead to this crisis, which includes factors such as the subprime mortgage crisis. Even though this may sound simple, why lend to people who have no capacity to ever pay it back? There were people earning 40k a year being given loans for millions, with the interest repayments so high that there was never any chance of them paying it off in their lifetimes (and yes, you can argue all you like about giving them a chance to change their lives...)

The rest of the economy is suffering from this, all over the world, due to the banking sector. So why can't Obama do what Switzerland did and nationalise the banks for a short period of time in order to stabilize the economy. I understand that with the effective interest rate already at 0%, monetary policy is useless and the only alternative is massive fiscal stimulus with fiscal policy, but there are still things to be done, not only the nationalization of the banks.

As a student with links to the Australian military (both army and air force), I can safely say that Obama’s promise to get the troops out of Iraq could have been done easily. But I guess the same can be said for Afghanistan. I do not agree with his policy, but there really is nothing we can do to make it any better. All the world can hope is that Iraqi’s learn to once again feel a strong sense of pride in their country, because once public opinion turns against the insurgency (or US gets the fuck out, because the reason for fighting is apparently to kick the foreign dogs out. What’s gonna be their excuse after the peacekeepers leave?). He could easily have pulled out the troops by the end of this year, at least.

And you mention the broken society. What’s this you’re talking about? Isn’t this what he was voted in on, to change the way America operates? It’s like applying for and getting a job as a lawyer, and then saying you despise the area of law. You got what you want, what else is there? And what exactly do you mean by a “ruined international reputation”? You like to point your obese finger at me and call me “fickle, facetious and false political preferences and the fact that you've gotten bored of your new idolised toy”, but, woe and behold, I don’t seem to see any supporting evidence behind your statements. America is still one of the world’s strongest economies, despite what has happened. American companies are still profitable. Its currency is still the world’s largest reserve currency held by reserve banks of different countries, and it is STILL THE MOST TRADED CURRENCY in the world currently. So while I admit I’m basing my argument on my general knowledge and not facts that I’ve found from reputable sources, at least I have some sort of evidence there. Where’s yours? Wait, let’s have another look through that post……………………………………. Nope, can’t find it, why don’t you have a try??? Before you start bagging someone else out you should have a look at your own views and how fucking shit they really are, you dickless piece of shit.

The looming environmental catastrophe in 8 years is something that all governments should be concentrating on. Our own government isn’t doing enough, but I don’t for a instance doubt that if Obama really cared about the environment he could enact legislation (not that it would do anything, but it’s a start) to change this. With such high levels of protectionism present in the American economy, its domestic producers can get away with being extremely inefficient and still earn massive profits. This is one of the causes of our current environmental crisis. Let’s see some action.

And your last point, his time in office. What could you do in 1.5 months huh? Your answer was: close to goddamn nothing, cause that’s what it sounds like from your post. Do you really think some guy’s getting paid to kick off his shoes and enjoy life acting like a global leader?? Of course not. He was elected to handle the problems that we mindless masses can’t. Stuff like the crisises we’re facing now are exactly why most people can’t be trusted to make the right decisions when in the top job. I just thank God we have someone who kinda knows what he’s doing in there instead of some idiot like George Bush.

And let me just finish on this note. I do not hate Obama or his policies, just that I was once again hoodwinked by a shrewd politician and a multi-billion dollar flashy campaign. I also don’t happen to enjoy having some cunt who has nothing better to do bag me out on some forum just so he can hope to attain some level of normalcy instead of the fucking pit of despair his life really is. I mean, if you have time to post shit like this: “If those political miscreants cannot accept the glorious rule of our comrade, Chairman Rudd, then they should be relocated and re-educated, for the betterment of the empire!!”, then maybe you should just go kill yourself so the world can rid itself of another bottom-feeding motherfucking pussy like you, in order to better the glorious empire of course!

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yep yep. As you say, "his campaign slogan was "change". He was put in place by the American people on the platform of making sweeping changes to politics, the economy, foreign relations and society at large..."

Before I completely destroy your argument, I'd just like to point out the fact that I didn't say Obama hadn't done anything. I just happened to mention that he doesn't seem to want to tackle the hard questions. For me, this includes the economic crisis. The blatant idiocy in the banking system is what lead to this crisis, which includes factors such as the subprime mortgage crisis. Even though this may sound simple, why lend to people who have no capacity to ever pay it back? There were people earning 40k a year being given loans for millions, with the interest repayments so high that there was never any chance of them paying it off in their lifetimes (and yes, you can argue all you like about giving them a chance to change their lives...)

The rest of the economy is suffering from this, all over the world, due to the banking sector. So why can't Obama do what Switzerland did and nationalise the banks for a short period of time in order to stabilize the economy. I understand that with the effective interest rate already at 0%, monetary policy is useless and the only alternative is massive fiscal stimulus with fiscal policy, but there are still things to be done, not only the nationalization of the banks.

As a student with links to the Australian military (both army and air force), I can safely say that Obama’s promise to get the troops out of Iraq could have been done easily. But I guess the same can be said for Afghanistan. I do not agree with his policy, but there really is nothing we can do to make it any better. All the world can hope is that Iraqi’s learn to once again feel a strong sense of pride in their country, because once public opinion turns against the insurgency (or US gets the fuck out, because the reason for fighting is apparently to kick the foreign dogs out. What’s gonna be their excuse after the peacekeepers leave?). He could easily have pulled out the troops by the end of this year, at least.

And you mention the broken society. What’s this you’re talking about? Isn’t this what he was voted in on, to change the way America operates? It’s like applying for and getting a job as a lawyer, and then saying you despise the area of law. You got what you want, what else is there? And what exactly do you mean by a “ruined international reputation”? You like to point your obese finger at me and call me “fickle, facetious and false political preferences and the fact that you've gotten bored of your new idolised toy”, but, woe and behold, I don’t seem to see any supporting evidence behind your statements. America is still one of the world’s strongest economies, despite what has happened. American companies are still profitable. Its currency is still the world’s largest reserve currency held by reserve banks of different countries, and it is STILL THE MOST TRADED CURRENCY in the world currently. So while I admit I’m basing my argument on my general knowledge and not facts that I’ve found from reputable sources, at least I have some sort of evidence there. Where’s yours? Wait, let’s have another look through that post……………………………………. Nope, can’t find it, why don’t you have a try??? Before you start bagging someone else out you should have a look at your own views and how fucking shit they really are, you dickless piece of shit.

The looming environmental catastrophe in 8 years is something that all governments should be concentrating on. Our own government isn’t doing enough, but I don’t for a instance doubt that if Obama really cared about the environment he could enact legislation (not that it would do anything, but it’s a start) to change this. With such high levels of protectionism present in the American economy, its domestic producers can get away with being extremely inefficient and still earn massive profits. This is one of the causes of our current environmental crisis. Let’s see some action.

And your last point, his time in office. What could you do in 1.5 months huh? Your answer was: close to goddamn nothing, cause that’s what it sounds like from your post. Do you really think some guy’s getting paid to kick off his shoes and enjoy life acting like a global leader?? Of course not. He was elected to handle the problems that we mindless masses can’t. Stuff like the crisises we’re facing now are exactly why most people can’t be trusted to make the right decisions when in the top job. I just thank God we have someone who kinda knows what he’s doing in there instead of some idiot like George Bush.

And let me just finish on this note. I do not hate Obama or his policies, just that I was once again hoodwinked by a shrewd politician and a multi-billion dollar flashy campaign. I also don’t happen to enjoy having some cunt who has nothing better to do bag me out on some forum just so he can hope to attain some level of normalcy instead of the fucking pit of despair his life really is. I mean, if you have time to post shit like this: “If those political miscreants cannot accept the glorious rule of our comrade, Chairman Rudd, then they should be relocated and re-educated, for the betterment of the empire!!”, then maybe you should just go kill yourself so the world can rid itself of another bottom-feeding motherfucking pussy like you, in order to better the glorious empire of course!
lolololololololol
tAKe a CHill PiLL Dood!!!1
rofl.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Mark. Fucking. Sanford.

He vetoed 600 items in South Carolina's budget, then when the House and Senate voted to reinstate the pork he led live pigs into the House.

He is the real revolution and I hope he gets the nomination in 2012.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Yes Bobby Jindals speech sounded like cats f@#&ing.
Apprently he has a book about how he performed an exorsicm. The guy is on the fringe. But i don't think he stands a change, because of his background. The loonies that he might attract due to his far right idiologies will be turned away because he is not white.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Obama opens up stem cell work, science inquiriesWASHINGTON – From tiny embryonic cells to the large-scale physics of global warming, President Barack Obama urged researchers on Monday to follow science and not ideology as he abolished contentious Bush-era restraints on stem-cell research. "Our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values," Obama declared as he signed documents changing U.S. science policy and removing what some researchers have said were shackles on their work.
Obama opens up stem cell work, science inquiries
So glad Obama is reversing the ban. This was one of the issues he promised when he was campaigning and now he delivers it. Well at least somewhat.
There is still a ban on growing embreyos just for research, only the embryos that are going to be discarded can be used now for research.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
So long sad times
Go long bad times
We are rid of you at last

Howdy gay times
Cloudy gray times
You are now a thing of the past

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again

Altogether shout it now
There's no one
Who can doubt it now
So let's tell the world about it now

Your cares and troubles are gone
There'll be no more from now on
From now on ...

The skies above are clear again
So, Let's sing a song of cheer again

Happy times
Happy nights
Happy days
Are here again!

/most awesome campaign song ever

HSC
So guys, what do you think about the US reserve printing money? Pretty good policy amirite?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
So guys, what do you think about the US reserve printing money? Pretty good policy amirite?
Works; to a point. But Obama may well have passed that point already. Watch this space in ten years time for in-depth analysis.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
If not Obama who would you want to see run for 2012 presidential elections?
Please don't say Sarah Palan.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But you are getting something in government -- and I want you to tell this to your children, and I hope the Nation's children will hear it, too -- something in government service that is far more important than money. It is a cause bigger than yourself. It is the cause of making this the greatest nation in the world, the leader of the world, because without our leadership, the world will know nothing but war, possibly starvation or worse, in the years ahead. With our leadership it will know peace, it will know plenty.

We have been generous, and we will be more generous in the future as we are able to. But most important, we must be strong here, strong in our hearts, strong in our souls, strong in our belief, and strong in our willingness to sacrifice, as you have been willing to sacrifice, in a pecuniary way, to serve in government

I remember my old man. I think that they would have called him sort of a little man, common man. He didn't consider himself that way. You know what he was? He was a streetcar motorman first, and then he was a farmer, and then he had a lemon ranch. It was the poorest lemon ranch in California, I can assure you. He sold it before they found oil on it. [Laughter] And then he was a grocer. But he was a great man, because he did his job, and every job counts up to the hilt, regardless of what happens.

Nobody will ever write a book, probably, about my mother. Well, I guess all of you would say this about your mother -- my mother was a saint. And I think of her, two boys dying of tuberculosis, nursing four others in order that she could take care of my older brother for three years in Arizona, and seeing each of them die, and when they died, it was like one of her own.

Yes, she will have no books written about her. But she was a saint.

Now, however, we look to the future. I had a little quote in the speech last night from T.R. [Theodore Roosevelt]. As you know, I kind of like to read books. I am not educated, but I do read books -- and the T.R. quote was a pretty good one. Here is another one I found as I was reading, my last night in the White House, and this quote is about a young man. He was a young lawyer in New York. He had married a beautiful girl, and they had a lovely daughter, and then suddenly she died, and this is what he wrote. This was in his diary.

He said, "She was beautiful in face and form and lovelier still in spirit. As a flower she grew and as a fair young flower she died. Her life had been always in the sunshine. There had never come to her a single great sorrow. None ever knew her who did not love and revere her for her bright and sunny temper and her saintly unselfishness. Fair, pure and joyous as a maiden, loving, tender and happy as a young wife. When she had just become a mother, when her life seemed to be just begun and when the years seemed so bright before her, then by a strange and terrible fate death came to her. And when my heart's dearest died, the light went from my life forever."

That was T.R. in his twenties. He thought the light had gone from his life forever -- but he went on. And he not only became President but, as an ex-President, he served his country, always in the arena, tempestuous, strong, sometimes wrong, sometimes right, but he was a man.

And as I leave, let me say, that is an example I think all of us should remember. We think sometimes when things happen that don't go the right way; we think that when you don't pass the bar exam the first time -- I happened to, but I was just lucky; I mean, my writing was so poor the bar examiner said, "We have just got to let the guy through." We think that when someone dear to us dies, we think that when we lose an election, we think that when we suffer a defeat that all is ended. We think, as T.R. said, that the light had left his life forever. Not true.

It is only a beginning, always. The young must know it; the old must know it. It must always sustain us, because the greatness comes not when things go always good for you, but the greatness comes and you are really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments, when sadness comes, because only if you have been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

And so I say to you on this occasion, as we leave, we leave proud of the people who have stood by us and worked for us and served this country. We want you to be proud of what you have done. We want you to continue to serve in government, if that is your wish.

Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.

And so, we leave with high hopes, in good spirit, and with deep humility, and with very much gratefulness in our hearts. I can only say to each and every one of you, we come from many faiths, we pray perhaps to different gods -- but really the same God in a sense -- but I want to say for each and every one of you, not only will we always remember you, not only will we always be grateful to you but always you will be in our hearts and you will be in our prayers.

Thank you very much.

Richard Nixon - August 9, 1974

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
He's fascinating imo
Love the tragic hero, the hard fight with the demons

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)