Amphiprotic or Amphoteric (1 Viewer)

mynameisgone

whats the difference. last years examiner's comments said students didnt know the difference, but theres no way to find out. i think amphoteric refers to the whole substance ie water can act as an acid or base, and amphiprotic is used wen refering to the proton chmeistry of the substance, ie water is amphiprotic because it can lose or gain protons...
any other ideas......

serge

HSC
poodoorfan said:
i have never heard fo amphoteric so i dont think it's anything to worry about
oh, you should start worrying...
(its part of the oxides dotpoint)

xvelidras

HSC
Amphoteric: referring to 'acidic/basic/amphoteric oxides dot point' substance can react with both acid/base

Amphiprotic: substance may be a proton donor or proton acceptor, depending on the conditions imposed.

Remember that an acid/base reaction does not have to involve proton transfer. to be safe in HSC simply associate amphoteric with oxides and amphiprotic with lowry-bronsted acids/bases

Abtari

HSC
xvelidras said:
Remember that an acid/base reaction does not have to involve proton transfer.
unless there are acid/base reactions that AREN'T neutralisation reactions,

i disagree with what u have said.

xvelidras

HSC
are you saying you can't have lewis acid-base reactions?

taxman

make poverty
HSC
xvelidras said:
are you saying you can't have lewis acid-base reactions?
For the purposes of the HSC, ALL acid-base reactions involve proton transfer. Lewis reactions are off syllabus and will not be tested in the HSC.

Feel free to argue this point at 1:00 tomorrow :D

serge

HSC
taxman said:
For the purposes of the HSC, ALL acid-base reactions involve proton transfer. Lewis reactions are off syllabus and will not be tested in the HSC.

good point, in our context only bronsted-lowry reactions matter

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Amphoteric was in the prelim course I thought. So it could potentially show up. My teacher explained it to us like this:

Amphoteric: able to neutralise both an acid and a base
Amphiprotic: able to act as a Bronsted-Lowry acid (proton donor) and a Bronsted-Lowry base (proton acceptor).

He also mentioned how "amphiprotic" was just a subset of "amphoteric."

Last edited:

nit

HSC
Amphoteric: able to act as an acid or base - this encompasses the Arrhenius, Lowry-Bronsted and Lewis definitions of the two.

Amphiprotic: Able to act as an acid or base in the Lowry-Bronsted sense - ie able to donate or accept a proton. Amphiprotic substances thus form a small subset of amphoteric substances.

Last edited:

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
taxman said:

I wish I could... I'll be doing software :(

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
nit said:
Amphoteric: able to act as an acid or base - this encompasses the Arrhenius, Lowry-Bronsted and Lewis definitions of the two.

Amphiprotic: Able to act as an acid or base in the Lowry-Bronsted sense - ie able to donate or accept a proton. Amphiprotic substances thus form a small subset of amphoteric substances.
dude they aren't the same thing.

mynameisgone

nah.. if they ask to define amphiprotic, and u reply can act as a acid or a bse they will mark it wrong, as the correct answer is able to act as a proton donor and acceptor.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
proton donor:acid; proton acceptor:base....same thing. :p just in more technical words.

by the way.....my record 900th post :D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
rnitya_25 said:
dude they aren't the same thing.
No, they aren't. But if you'd read nit's reply thoroughly, you'd see that he never said they are. Ignoring that nit is a brilliant chemist, he is also quite correct. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)