AMus Piano (1 Viewer)

HSC
I was wondering if somebody here whose already does their Amus could tell me whats required?

Like how many pieces, how long they are, whether there are still scales, sight reading (shudders) etc.

I'm thinking about starting the course this year but doing my exam at the end of 2006.

Is it a lot more work than year 8 piano or is it about the same?

And also, what grade of musicianship do I need to pass?

TY to anbody who bothers to unjumble this message and help :uhhuh:

Josephine

HSC
For Amus, you need to have a program of 4 pieces, which you choose from the syllabus. The times depend on which pieces you choose, but usually you have to play a whole sonata by a classical composer, so your program would be at least 20 minutes? Not too sure.

You don't need to prepare scales (I hope that's good news :p) and I don't think there's any sight reading and aural anymore, but the general knowledge part is more in-depth, and you have to really know about your pieces and the composers. You also need to pass with credit 5th grade musicianship.

The best book to buy is the AMEB Manual of Syllabuses - that has the listings of the pieces, all the requirements, etc. I think the 2005 one should be out now, if it isn't out already. I might be getting some of the details wrong cos I did Amus a while ago, but yeah, that's a basic outline. Hope it helps!

HSC
Thanks Josephine. Thats exactly what i wanted to hear :)

*bursts in to a cloud happiness because of no sight reading or scales*

{EDIT} Just something else, are the pieces a lot harder than yr 8 stuff?

hello99999

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Thanks Josephine. Thats exactly what i wanted to hear :)

*bursts in to a cloud happiness because of no sight reading or scales*

{EDIT} Just something else, are the pieces a lot harder than yr 8 stuff?

From my experience, not really. But you do have to do a whole sonata, not just 1 movt. which i think is all you do in 8th. Also, everything needs to be perfect because there aren't grades i.e. you can't just go in at a normal C-grade level and still expect to pass, you actually have to be extremely good- I know some people who were excellent but still failed because they made tiny errors.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Josephine said:
For Amus, you need to have a program of 4 pieces, which you choose from the syllabus. The times depend on which pieces you choose, but usually you have to play a whole sonata by a classical composer, so your program would be at least 20 minutes? Not too sure.

You don't need to prepare scales (I hope that's good news :p) and I don't think there's any sight reading and aural anymore, but the general knowledge part is more in-depth, and you have to really know about your pieces and the composers. You also need to pass with credit 5th grade musicianship.
Same with saxophone...just out of curiousity, is it the same with every instrument?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Only 3 in 10 candidates will pass the AMusA on their first go. They in fact have a quota, so if you got there on a crappy day where everybody before you passed, you're fucked.

You also don't get graded, there's no A, B, C, D. You either get the AMusA, or you don't.

Also, I know really shit pianists who have the AMusA, and really good pianists who don't. There are a lot of piano majors and minors at the Con who don't have the AMusA or the LMusA, yet they're far better than a lot of LMusA pianists.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Yeh i didnt get my amus first go...i was in year 9 and i remember it crushed me. But then i found out i went there on a day when I was the youngest student, and as Phanatical says, there is a quota. So i tried again and passed easy.
It depends on the day.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I went for my AMusA in piano in 2003 (my first year of the BMus), and spent my Harmony Keyboard classes practicing. I didn't get it, despite the homefield advantage (my exam was at my uni), and I just couldn't be bothered going for it again. As I've said, "I failed 8th Grade, I failed my AMus, and when I finish my BMus, I plan to fail my LMus".

I could become super qualified. Imagine that - AMusA, BMus (Comp.) SydCon, CMusA, DipMus, DMus/MusD, FMusA, LMusA, MMus, TMusA.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
Phanatical said:
I went for my AMusA in piano in 2003 (my first year of the BMus), and spent my Harmony Keyboard classes practicing. I didn't get it, despite the homefield advantage (my exam was at my uni), and I just couldn't be bothered going for it again. As I've said, "I failed 8th Grade, I failed my AMus, and when I finish my BMus, I plan to fail my LMus".

I could become super qualified. Imagine that - AMusA, BMus (Comp.) SydCon, CMusA, DipMus, DMus/MusD, FMusA, LMusA, MMus, TMusA.

oh man.. lol

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
demosthenes said:
Yeh i didnt get my amus first go...i was in year 9 and i remember it crushed me. But then i found out i went there on a day when I was the youngest student, and as Phanatical says, there is a quota. So i tried again and passed easy.
It depends on the day.
hey Demosthenes.. r u amus+ on sax?? u were amus in yr 9... wow. impressive lol.

magician

HSC
Phanatical said:
Lol!!!! That would be difficult...and a LOT of work!!!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
hey Demosthenes.. r u amus+ on sax?? u were amus in yr 9... wow. impressive lol.
Yeh, but it sucks because now I am having to revise my pieces to do them for my HSC--i havent played solid classical for years, and it is hard going back to it after playing jazz for so long!
But I will survive, I suppose.

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
lol. im gonna do classical stuf on my clarinet and jazz on the sax. like 1 piece or something :D

i started playing jazz after i got to grade 5 ameb.. couldn't be bothered going the whole way, jazz is just so much better :)

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Yes, i want to get in for jazz...probably.
But I was just thinking...maybe classical performance would be better.
Or musicology.
Aargh, I am so confused!

pristine

HSC
piano.

JOSEPHINE!!!!! it's christine!!
CONGRATS on TOPPING THE STATE FOR MUSIC EXT.!!!
WOOOHOOOO SO PROUD OF YOU =)

x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)