An end to gun control - people vs the state (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
volition said:
Even if they did have guns, who should the "people" go and shoot? public servants? politicians? How would it all work?

Or is it all supposed to work on based on the threat of rebellion?
Storm the parliament and take them hostage. That's how most coups work.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Personally I would contend that an armed populace could not 'keep a government in check' for a couple of reasons; firstly a large chunk of the aforementioned populace would support the government and secondly the government would have a standing army of some sort to call on.

So it would be a case of 49% of armed populace versus 51% of the armed populace AND a trained military. Basically I dont see an armed populace as keeping an authoritarian government in check. At best I see it plunging a country into civil war, at worst I see it reinforcing an authoritarian government.
Most likley it would just serve to put guns in the hands of anti-government/conspiracy theory nutters and become (to them) a tacit acceptance that they are correct. Which would seem to me a short road to Oklahoma city style bombings....

HotShot

-_-
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Personally I would contend that an armed populace could not 'keep a government in check' for a couple of reasons; firstly a large chunk of the aforementioned populace would support the government and secondly the government would have a standing army of some sort to call on.

So it would be a case of 49% of armed populace versus 51% of the armed populace AND a trained military. Basically I dont see an armed populace as keeping an authoritarian government in check. At best I see it plunging a country into civil war, at worst I see it reinforcing an authoritarian government.
Most likley it would just serve to put guns in the hands of anti-government/conspiracy theory nutters and become (to them) a tacit acceptance that they are correct. Which would seem to me a short road to Oklahoma city style bombings....
colorado school shootings...

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
colorado school shootings...
and columbine is relevant how to that comment?

and keep in mind, you wantt o mention the Oklahoma city bombing....that was fertilizer and a rental truck.

anyway, the idea is more that the gov't has limits to it. You can easily kill off desenting voices if they can't fight back, so we're talking a point where they're VERY CLEARLY beyond so you'd have much more of the populace supporting action, or at least not willing to support the gov't further. Plus, you've got to keep in mind that much of the military would fall into that catagory of those who would own guns and such, so you'd have a fair amount of splitting from the military.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)