An example of a Prac/Experiment (1 Viewer)

robbie13

HSC
Hi guys,

I am currently doing an assignment on an Open- Ended investigation, now I have to do an experiment based on Topic 1 for HSC Maintaining a Balance.

Now I have no Equipment, is there any prac I could do without need of equipment due to no access to a Laboratory?

Can you guys give me some example of experiments?

Cheers!!!

Alkanes

HSC
Umm you can do the xylem/phloem experiment. Buy like a celery stick from the groceries and put in some like dye or something to investigate the movement of substances and to observe the transverse/longitude cut of it.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Umm you can do the xylem/phloem experiment. Buy like a celery stick from the groceries and put in some like dye or something to investigate the movement of substances and to observe the transverse/longitude cut of it.
Wouldn't you need a microscope to see the transverse/longitudinal cuts though? I know there's some stores though where you can pick up really cheap microscopes.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think you need a microscope... I did something like that and you can see the dye without a microscope.

robbie13

HSC
Hi Guys,

I am going to grow plants and compare the growth of them in different water concentrations, all I need to buy is seeds and pots. So I am going to water each plants in different amounts.

I am just not sure what seeds to buy?

Could someone share there expertise.

Regards.

Last edited:

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
Most annual vegetable and flower plants will grow quite a bit in a month. They probably won't be mature plants or produce flowers in a month, but that doesn't matter for your experiment. The important thing is to choose seeds that will germinate quickly and reliably.

Any type of peas or beans should work well.

You could also find out if the watering patterns have different effects on different types of plants, for example mustard and cress (which grow lots of foliage but don't have big roots), or radishes (where of course the big roots are the useful part of the plant). Both of those are easy to germinate and quick growing.

robbie13

HSC
Appreciate all the help :).

What could I base that on Maintaining a Balance Topic 1 YR12 HSC?

In that experiment there is a few extra things I have to buy.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
Bean sprouts are a vegetable...

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
I forget about maintaining a balance, It's been a while since I've done it.

robbie13

HSC
Thats right I know that, but what flower plants can you recommend that are good?

Could you retrace your memory, what would it come under in that Topic?

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
fast-germinating (5-10 days). They are also easy to grow:

Flowers — Sunflower, zinnia, nasturtiums, ageratum, marigold, bachelor's button, cosmos and alyssum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)