An interesting note on minimum legal age (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I noticed this from the NSW Industrial Relations Office section on young workers:

"There is no minimum legal age limit for starting work in New South Wales. Many teenagers start a part-time or casual job while still at school.

But if you are under the age of 15 and seeking full-time work with the intention of leaving school, you need to seek permission to do this from the Department of Education on 9561 8000."

http://www.youngpeopleatwork.nsw.gov.au/looking/what+age+can+i+start+work.html

I always thought it was 14 years 9 months? :confused:

Pace_T

HSC
i always thought it was 14 and 9 months as well, even though i started just after i turned 14. i guess it mustve changed? before you know it, we'll have child labour australia! yay we can pay them peanuts :D

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
i didn't know this! I would've started working a lot earlier then, cause i started at 14 years and 10 months.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It has been 15 for absolutely ages (certainly in the 70s it was 15) BUT... you could get permission to get a full time job at 14 years in 9 months if the job was guaranteed and had a future e.g. an apprenticeship but not a full-time job at Maccas.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I've always known that once you are 14 years and 9 months old - you can apply for a job, whether it be casual or full time. I didn't need permission when i got my first job

alby

cool duckie
HSC
must've changed the 14 & 9 months rule since they brought in the new IR laws. but now that there's now no age limit little kiddies who get work will probably get really shit pay

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
tanjin said:
I've always known that once you are 14 years and 9 months old - you can apply for a job, whether it be casual or full time. I didn't need permission when i got my first job

You didn't need permission because you weren't leaving school.

The law has been that a student had to stay at school until they turned 15 for many years (back into the 40s when my mother left school but it was 12 in the 20s when my grandmother did so) but exceptions were made for a few students who would lose out on a position in a long term career if they didn't leave at 14 years 9 months.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
alby said:
must've changed the 14 & 9 months rule since they brought in the new IR laws. but now that there's now no age limit little kiddies who get work will probably get really shit pay
thats not right. it got aboslished ages ago

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
several years - about 3 or 4? I remember talking about it with a highschool friend of mine whose brother was starting to work in the family business when he was about 12

alby

cool duckie
HSC
family business would be different wouldnt it? it's easier to get away with doing cash in hand..and i cant see a 12 yr old getting a tfn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)