• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Analyse Wave Graphs QUESTION! (1 Viewer)

HSCstudent08

HSC
N/A
Question: The graphs show two positions of a wave 0.1s apart. Calculate the wavelength, frequency, period and speed of the wave.

How do you find the period?

thanks

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
can you use equation T= 1/f (t is period, f is frequency) and v = f[FONT=&quot]λ for velocity
[/FONT]

Last edited:

HSCstudent08

HSC
N/A
yeh except they don't only tell you that the waves are 0.1 s apart. my question is how how to actually find the period/fequency?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
HSCstudent08 said:
Question: The graphs show two positions of a wave 0.1s apart. Calculate the wavelength, frequency, period and speed of the wave.

How do you find the period?

thanks
Wavelength = 8m

v=wavelength/period

Theres nothing about the time. This is impossible.

Felix Jones

HSC
the wave seems to have moved 7m in 0.1 seconds (in the first graph at 4m it cuts the baseline, and in graph two at 11, hence distance travelled is 11-4=7 .....plz correct me if im wrong) ....therefore in one second the wave will travel 70m...i.e. speed is 70m/s... but v = fλ , therefore frequency=70/8 =8.75

and t=1/f =1/8.75 =0.114 ..... i have no idea...i think i made a mistake. soz

HSCstudent08

HSC
N/A
MФëỹ™ said:
the wave seems to have moved 7m in 0.1 seconds (in the first graph at 4m it cuts the baseline, and in graph two at 11, hence distance travelled is 11-4=7 .....plz correct me if im wrong) ....therefore in one second the wave will travel 70m...i.e. speed is 70m/s... but v = fλ , therefore frequency=70/8 =8.75

and t=1/f =1/8.75 =0.114 ..... i have no idea...i think i made a mistake. soz
hey thx, but what do u mean in first graph at 4m it cuts the baseline? (doesn't it also cut baseline at 8m) and in graph two at 11m (doesn't it also cut basline at 3m and 7m?

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
HSCstudent08 said:
hey thx, but what do u mean in first graph at 4m it cuts the baseline? (doesn't it also cut baseline at 8m) and in graph two at 11m (doesn't it also cut basline at 3m and 7m?
yea...your right...but MФëỹ™was just pinpointed a particular interval so information can be obtained. u would get the same answer using a different location....MФëỹ™ was just finding the distance a full wavelenth travelled in a second.

Felix Jones

HSC
you have to take the same point( i.i the same correspondind point ) from both graphs...the one at 4m is comming down and again at 11m its coming down.

Felix Jones

HSC
cwag said:
yea...your right...but MФëỹ™was just pinpointed a particular interval so information can be obtained. u would get the same answer using a different location....MФëỹ™ was just finding the distance a full wavelenth travelled in a second.
yeah..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)