Analysing Animated Films (1 Viewer)

abba86amy

adagio ~ the slow one...
HSC
Hi,

Would anyone know what type of film techniques i would have to anaylse for animated films?

I've planned to study 'Spirited Away' by Hayao Miyazaki & I'm kinda stumped by what elements & stuff i should look out for to relate to IMAG journeys~~~

eg. plot, charaters, costumes, pictures? music, shading?? 0.o my random list of things..dunno whether they're rite r not..

Pls list some of ur ideas~!!
Thanks

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
How the hell would "shading" convey a journey of any sort?

#screen shots
#colour
#music
#characters
#accents
......................all good at conveying journeys(physical, immaginative & emotional

Juventino

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
You should also look at why it's animated rather than acted. What can you do with the medium which you can't do with live actors, etc

abba86amy

adagio ~ the slow one...
HSC
Originally posted by juventino
How the hell would "shading" convey a journey of any sort?
Thanks guys, Ummmm...well would shading be part of the colours used in animation?

I mean they would use shading to create like a mood/atmosphere rite? I guess, in animation they would use shading in place of 'lighting' in real films~~ if you get what im saying

perhaps shading....ephesizes the mood of the character which in turn would affect the chara's imag. journey...?:confused:

...help?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Perhaps you meant shadow - usage of light/dark to convey a mood?

Shading per se is just a technique used by artists/animators to create an environment.. to give the environment depth.

abba86amy

adagio ~ the slow one...
HSC
Originally posted by anti
You should also look at why it's animated rather than acted. What can you do with the medium which you can't do with live actors, etc
could you consider that as a technique? What other techniques could i study?

Do you think I can study the same/similar techniques that they use in real-live films? eg camera angle, tilt, pan etc?
Or do you have to study things that are totally different?

-Do you think that this text can be related to Coleridge poetry?
Like the themes and stuff? I know Spirited Away has ideas with religion & nature....like the themes n stuff thats explored in Coleridge....:confused:

santaslayer

HSC
sound
motifs
colour
camera movements/techniques
exaggeration or caricature in animation...eg.....a bigger than usual head or a tear running down the forehead that looks bigger than a normal human head (anemie..lol)
facial expressions

Dee Dee

nak_yim
HSC
Originally posted by abba86amy
Hi,

Would anyone know what type of film techniques i would have to anaylse for animated films?

I've planned to study 'Spirited Away' by Hayao Miyazaki & I'm kinda stumped by what elements & stuff i should look out for to relate to IMAG journeys~~~

eg. plot, charaters, costumes, pictures? music, shading?? 0.o my random list of things..dunno whether they're rite r not..

Pls list some of ur ideas~!!
Thanks
i am planning to do spirited away too lol
i got the idea from my jap excursion ahaha

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
Light and dark, yes....but not shading.

Don't use that word and follow it up with "conveying phyiscal Journeys"...the examiner would dismiss it quicker than you can say quick.

overwhelming

omg dammit, i was going to relate Spirited Away to the Inner Journey..

dammit, now i won't get uber marks 4 originality :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)