Analysing Films (1 Viewer)

NLAngel

HSC
Hey
What is a good way to analyse films?
I'm really confused.
Do I talk about the camera techniques, include quotes and what write about what journey the main character is taking? What else can I add?
I'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice!

Thanks in advance :)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Hi,
Analysing films may require you to look into
Cinematic Devices- stuff liike camera techniques (as you mentioned) such as low/high/panning angles to convey characterisation, music to convey atmosphere, flashback scenes, etc.
Quotes- significant dialogue which reveals insight into the character/s and their development
Plot- nuff said- does it follow the 'Hero's Journey', incorporate the 4 archtypes of Jung?
Characterisation- Who are the main characters? Are they 'stock' characters? Is the protagonist an 'antihero'? Tragic hero? A symbol of Mankind?
Context and audience- Who is the film directed to? When was it made and what was society like at this time? For example, films such as Mission Impossible 3 and Die Hard 4 reflect the growing fear and social angst towards terrorism and technology used for malignant purposes.
Themes- I should have put this up near top of list. Are there any one or two/three major ideas which are continuosuly explored in the film? What dot hey reveal about the director's thoughts/influences on the journey?
Motif- Are there constantly recurring objects in the film, which may symbolise something?

That should be a start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)