• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Analysis of painting!! (1 Viewer)

Igor

HSC
N/A
holy crap- that's a hard one

i assume the artist is commenting on the role of black americans in the 'forging of an American democracy'
you need to talk about the isolation of the black person, and the homogenous nature (through colour) of all the other figure in the picture.
also- the position of the figures, esp. the central figure and those to the right, the central figues orientation to the other figures, stance, etc.

is this a multi media artwork? I can't tell from the image. if it is, you need to talk about it id depth- the process of an art works construction is also a process of constructing meaning in an art work. i can't remember who said that, but whatever movement the artist belongs to, you have to make reference to. you also will need to find an art critic who has written about this art work to back up your arguments

soso

HSC
N/A
Gordon Bennet b 1955 in Brisbane QLD Painting, postmodern Australian Aboriginal critiquing invasion day (Australia Day) using aboriginal dot painting and a sort of Jackson Pollock abstract expressionism

Start here

Igor

HSC
N/A
well hey, how wrong was i?? hah, we learn something new every day huh Soso? Cheers

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
soso said:
Gordon Bennet b 1955 in Brisbane QLD Painting, postmodern Australian Aboriginal critiquing invasion day (Australia Day) using aboriginal dot painting and a sort of Jackson Pollock abstract expressionism

Start here
Ja, he tends to go after famous styles and use them for his own ends - like that one where he appropriates Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' (or whatever the hell it was called). Also check out the way the Native Australian is the only coherently drawn and coloured guy there - the rest is chaos. Might indicate the perspective of the painting? :)

Bonna

Andoria
HSC
Showing this was a very important man (only colour person).. he was an aboriginal possibly rich according to hos cloths.. (VERY RARE TO FIND THAT BACK THEN).. and possibly very educated.. (plans in his hands).. the artist is showing the importance of him.. because no one else matters..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)