Anatomy - cranial nerves (1 Viewer)

Lu Lu

HSC
Does anyone have any tips to remembering the 12 cranial nerves and other info about them?

Lu Lu

HSC
Thaks Kimmeh that site is great
Thanks for try 05er the 12 cranial nerves are.....
Olfactory
Optic
Occulomotor
Trochlear
Trigeminal
Abducens
Facial
Vestibulocohlear
Glossopharyngeal
Vagus
Accessory
Hypoglossal
..... good luck finding a song that matchs!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ummmm i wrote them out 20 times in my note pad.. and recalled the positions going down from olfactory bulb to accessory and the hypoglossal on the brainstem.. then it kinda sticks..
i started with mnemonics in yr 1.. then kinda know it off by heart now and functions.

CN 1 - Olfactory..
CN 2 - Optic
CN 3 - Oculomotor
CN 4 - Trochlear
CN 5 - Trigeminal
CN 6 - Abducens
CN 7 - Facial
CN 8 - Vestibulocochlear
CN 9 - Glossopharyngeal
CN10- Vagus
CN11- Accessory
CN12- Hypoglossal

Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel A Girl's Vagina And Hymen
is the classic mnemonic.. ... 3 O's then the rest :p
the "A Girl's" is also replaced with "Virginal Girls"
where A is the old name for vestibulocochlear nerve which was acoustic nerve

write out OOO TT A F V G V A H... just to not get the vestibulocochlear and the vagus confused.. u do the old method.. OOO TT A F A G V A H then u kno tat CN 8= A or V ..

hint: top to bottom (corresponds to bone and functional)
for CN5 (trigeminal) the 3 branches go
(O M M) {Ophthalmic Maxillary Mandibular)

for CN7 (facial) the 5 branches go
(Two Zebras Bought My Car) {Temporal Zygomatic Buccal Mandibular Cervical}

hope that helps

Last edited:

Lu Lu

HSC
Thanks heaps for all the tips pointdexter & I love your mnemonics thingy. The only way i very remember something in anatmony is if it funny.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Lu Lu said:
Thanks heaps for all the tips pointdexter & I love your mnemonics thingy. The only way i very remember something in anatmony is if it funny.
Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle

(carpal bones... scaphoid, lunate, triquetrium, pisiform, trapezium, trapezoid, capitate, hamate)

*ahhhhh go away anatomy!*

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yea i use tat one too for carpals.. :)

but i still think after the mnemonics which help u at the start.. u need to concrete them in memory.. by finding practical applications of it..

otherwise anatomy is competely useless if not in context..

i kno .. more learning .. but its good.. I just follow my physical exam. routine.. and recall is faster..

Kimmeh: yes i kno im a pervert.. but i still havent got cranial nerves wrong in a written or prac exam yet :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Kim everyone uses that mnemonic. In fact, the only person I know who DOESN'T is this wholesome little Singaporean girl in Dentistry. She's like Miffy.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I use On old Olympus towering top a famous valiant German viewed a hop.

And for the functions:
Some say marry money but my brother says big business matters most (for sensory, motor, or both).

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Hey, do alot (all?) of Anatomy subjects involve rote learning such as this (learning mnemonics). What other subjects/courses/majors etc involve alot of this ?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Anatomy theory is all about rote-learning stuff. Anatomy prac is about groping bits of your own body and moving until you feel the muscle contract.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Anatomy for us is kinda like that, only maybe not the groping.

For that we use each other.

Anyway, there are three important bits to anatomy - knowing what something is, knowing where it is and knowing what it does.

"What it is" seems obvious - you need to be able to name and identify stuff.

"Where it is", equally obvious - can't help someone if you don't know what's going on at a certain point, or vice versa. You also need to know what stuff is around the thing in question - for example a tumour in the lung may be pressing on the oesophagus, making it hard to swallow.

"What it does" needs no explanation. Why bother learning the name and location if you don't know what it's for?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I always found muscular innervation stuffed me up. Was fine with the rest of it, just couldn't seem to get that bit down. Thank god I never have to do anatomy again :D

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Kim everyone uses that mnemonic.
rob, i was just making a comment related to alvins personality .. not need to get tut-tut about it :p :p
Mambomeg said:
hey kimmeh, get memorising, you'll need to know it in 1st sem next year... and that mneumonic really is the best way to remember it....
ooo hey meg ! yeah, i figured i have to know it eventually, but thats if i get through this sem first ! :(
Lexicographer said:
Anatomy for us is kinda like that, only maybe not the groping.

For that we use each other.

Anyway, there are three important bits to anatomy - knowing what something is, knowing where it is and knowing what it does.

"What it is" seems obvious - you need to be able to name and identify stuff.

"Where it is", equally obvious - can't help someone if you don't know what's going on at a certain point, or vice versa. You also need to know what stuff is around the thing in question - for example a tumour in the lung may be pressing on the oesophagus, making it hard to swallow.

"What it does" needs no explanation. Why bother learning the name and location if you don't know what it's for?
Gah, i dont know if i can cram all of that for all the structures i know (and dont know) for my exam... i say, banish it ! :D

Lu Lu

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
I always found muscular innervation stuffed me up. Was fine with the rest of it, just couldn't seem to get that bit down. Thank god I never have to do anatomy again :D
I know what you mean about innervations. Every thing is like where it is, and what it does is pretty basic but the nerves are crappy.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah lexi is right.. anatomy is rote in some cases.. but appilcation is the key..

hang out with a surgeon or a radiologist... and they are very interesting in that they know so much anatomy.. and use it functionally..

lucky OT's

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I know where stuff is...I know what it does...I care about what happens if it no longer works...that'll do me! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)