ancient history essay help (1 Viewer)

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
i have another assessment again for the holidays :(
well i passed my last essay, got good marks
21 out of 25 :D
and i need help on another 1..
i want help on what i should say on my essay and what i should put in, first and last and the conclusion etc.
thanks for any help given :)

Question:
Rome: Augustus and the Julio-Claudians..
*Explain how Augustus gained and maintained his constitutional position.

Aimz- Lou.

- maintenance of position-
* Propaganda... Buildings, statues, literature, etc.
* He made sure that the senate gave him all his power so that it became official.
* He kept the people happy with cheap food policy and games... and he also gave them peace, which was a fantastic political move.
* The empire ran effectively under his authority, and his administration of the empire was good, meaning that life was of a high quality.

-gaining the position-
* first and second settlements.
* Tribunicia Potestas is probably the most important position in the eyes of the people.
* MIP makes him extremely powerful.
* Auctoritas.
*Senatorial Standing Commission.
* Examine this section in chronological order...

I hope this helps. If you want more detail on any of those I have detailed notes.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Please post such questions in the relevant sub-forums.

(moved)

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
Aimee05 said:
- maintenance of position-
* Propaganda... Buildings, statues, literature, etc.
* He made sure that the senate gave him all his power so that it became official.
* He kept the people happy with cheap food policy and games... and he also gave them peace, which was a fantastic political move.
* The empire ran effectively under his authority, and his administration of the empire was good, meaning that life was of a high quality.

-gaining the position-
* first and second settlements.
* Tribunicia Potestas is probably the most important position in the eyes of the people.
* MIP makes him extremely powerful.
* Auctoritas.
*Senatorial Standing Commission.
* Examine this section in chronological order...

I hope this helps. If you want more detail on any of those I have detailed notes.

ok thanks, and i would like some more help thanks because i have to
put more details in depth in my essay, again.

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
there are several ways you can answer this question....either chronologically or topically...or even both if you play your cards right

topics you would have to include....Augustus's relationship with the senate
his relaitionship with the army, the provinces, with the roman population (the building program), and others which i cant remember right now

structure in this essay is vital. the better structured this essay is, the easier it is for you to write it up
-Have a plan
-Execute it in the shortest time as possible
-Refer to as many historian's opinion's as possible (modern and ancient) as part of the explanation to his realationship with each of these groups.

hope this helps

X

xeuyrawp

launcher169 said:
there are several ways you can answer this question....either chronologically or topically...or even both if you play your cards right
Just remember the danger with chronologically is that you could end up telling a story. Like you said, a combination of both concept and chronology is best:)

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
so how should i start my intoduction on my essay?
should a write a mini bio about augustus or just his powers
and positions...??

Aimz- Lou.

Ok. Maintaining the position:
Propaganda:
- Augustus used propaganda to keep the people happy, and maintain the concept that the republic was still in existence. He did this by installing statues of 28 noble republican Romans in his forum, and adding himself on at the end, making him appear as a continuation of the line. Vitellius states that "the pristine form of the republic was recalled as old" indicating his success in this area.
- Although pax romana was primarily a reform, it became a powerful propaganda tool because it made the people extremely happy. Augustus thus played on this, and demonstrated this peace in tangible/visible ways... such as closing the doors to the temple of Janus. (God of war) Horace states that "a god brought us this peace."
- The tenple to Mars Ultor was a good example of building propaganda. Mars was known as the avnger, and by building a temple to him within his forum, Augsutus was reminding the people of how he had avenged the death of Julius Caesar.
- The res gestae is a literary example... It highlights all the wonderful things Augustus has done.
Propaganda does not politically assist Augustus in the maintenance of his position, but it serves to keep the people happy, which prevents uproar. It also increases his auctoritas, which is the primary reason that people do what he asks them to.

Senatorial decree:
- Augustus ensures that all his power is officially handed to him by the senate.
- this occurs at the first and second settlements. The senate virtually gives Augustus the power of a dictator. The formation of the Senatorial Standing Committee is important here, because it aloows Augustus to test the watres of the senate before he suggests any new policies, etc. It is especially important before the escond settlement, because Augustus can go into the second settlement with a fair amount of confidence that he will receive more positions than those he is surrendering. Thus manipulation of the senate also becomes important... and remember that he has already held census, and eliminated all those who may have opposed him.

Keeping the people happy:
- Tacitus states that Augutus' "Cheap food policy was successful bait for civilians."
- maintaining the facade of the republic.
- Pax romana.
- Games. Juvanal states that the people require "panem et circenses" (Bread and games)

Efficient and smooth administration:
- The establishment of the equestrian class is important, because they were extremely efficient in administration. this meant that the empire was running more smoothly than when the senatorial class were in charge of administration. The senators were also pleased because they no longer had to do the work...
- you could also talk about reforms under this heading if you have time... building, religious, social, moral, etc.

Auctoritas:
- this is probably the key concept in his maintenance of power, because it is the single "power"(For want of a better word) that he uses to get people to do what he wants them to. He very rarely has to use force, he just uses influence.

Gaining the position:

- the first and second settlements. A brief discussion on what each power was, and what it meant for him.

- tribunicia potestas is important, because it makes him the "tribune of thepeople' This was an honour that was previously only awarded to the plebeain class. he recognised its importance with the people, and numbered the years of his reign by the years of his tribunician powers.

- MIP gives him power in all the provinces, which means that he effectively has control of ALL the armed forces- the twenty stationed in his own provinces AND the eight stationed in the senatorial provinces, which he now has the ability to interfere with.

That;s about all I can remember straight off... if you still need more information, I can find it. A lot is in Scullard as well.

Aimz- Lou.

And just his powers and positions, unless there is relevant bio stuff to what is involved in the positions and powers stuff...

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
ok thanks for the help, but i still need to know what should i say in my introduction for my essay, any help would be thanks~!

X

xeuyrawp

bitchgirl said:
ok thanks for the help, but i still need to know what should i say in my introduction for my essay, any help would be thanks~!
Intro should be simple. Mention the topic ideas/sentences in the order that you will present them.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
ok ill just quickly post up some advice but if u want more in depth usyd has a history essay guide which covers everything from research to writing thatll help!

intro - first off u need to introduce and give some backround to augustus...who what ect!
- define and terms and make it clear what your taling about
- explain what it is this essay is doing and how its going about doing this!

body *some hints* - dont just quite, paraphrase! its an idea to acknowledge and footnote what your getting you info from unless its something really well known! augutus was prionceps def doesnt need a footnote! be critical dont justa ccept what sources say look for why they think that weight up your evidence and present differing opuionions and evlaute which is more likely! show some actual thought and ull benifit

conclusion - summary of what happened and them why what you have written has greater implactions... like you could piont out our own government sytem is mdoelled n teh politcal structures of teh roman republic so i knowing how augustus eroded them we can balance or won sytem and check teh actions of indiviuals in order to maintain or democracy! or something

meanwhile this was my hsc question so when im not at work illpost up some more responses with actual info

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
shelley said:
ok ill just quickly post up some advice but if u want more in depth usyd has a history essay guide which covers everything from research to writing thatll help!

intro - first off u need to introduce and give some backround to augustus...who what ect!
- define and terms and make it clear what your taling about
- explain what it is this essay is doing and how its going about doing this!

body *some hints* - dont just quite, paraphrase! its an idea to acknowledge and footnote what your getting you info from unless its something really well known! augutus was prionceps def doesnt need a footnote! be critical dont justa ccept what sources say look for why they think that weight up your evidence and present differing opuionions and evlaute which is more likely! show some actual thought and ull benifit

conclusion - summary of what happened and them why what you have written has greater implactions... like you could piont out our own government sytem is mdoelled n teh politcal structures of teh roman republic so i knowing how augustus eroded them we can balance or won sytem and check teh actions of indiviuals in order to maintain or democracy! or something

meanwhile this was my hsc question so when im not at work illpost up some more responses with actual info

ok thanks for all the help :)

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
ok, i've done my essay as draft first and i wanted to know how should i start the intro with, a lil bio of augustus or his Explain how Augustus gained and maintained his constitutional position.
and the conclusion as well
thnx for the help!

X

xeuyrawp

bitchgirl said:
ok, i've done my essay as draft first and i wanted to know how should i start the intro with, a lil bio of augustus or his Explain how Augustus gained and maintained his constitutional position.
and the conclusion as well
thnx for the help!
No, don't have any bio stuff. If the question asks about a bio, but that in, but it's not. Make it a brief summary covering all the main points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)