• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ancient history is destroying my brain (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Having heard of that horrible scaling, I am now worried not only for myself, but my classmates and everyone doing Ancient. This is so unfair, seeing it takes a lot of work to do..

Any reason why it is scaled so poorly?

young_gurl

yeah ancient ...theres just so much to remember! I cant even be stuffed cos it makes me go crazy! My fav part is sparta cos it so easy main sources are aristotle, heordotus, Xenephon and plutarch!

Wiggum

Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Any reason why it is scaled so poorly?
It's because the BoS does not recognise the difficulty of the subject compared to other subjects and the workload required just to keep with the knowledge of the topics. It's the same story with ipt, sdd and it, just that it's worse for them.

Originally posted by apollo
85 in subject X might scale to 69
85 in subject Y might scale to 75
98 in subject X might scale to 99
98 in subject Y might scale to 100

this happens regardless of how your school performed. it is done for the UAC.

if you all get over 90 in the exam, then all of your moderated assessment marks will all be over 90 as well (not moderated by comparison. not another word for scaling. read up on how the moderation process works in the other forums), so your final hsc marks will be over 90 (average of moderated assessment and exam mark). that's the benefits of a decent school.
That's how i understand it as well. The "school" scaling is ONLY used for the HSC mark and regardless which school you go, the scaling for ancient remains the same for everyone when the UAI is calculated. It's shit as for the work we all do but that's the way life goes huh.

young_gurl

do u guys ever read back on ur essays and think 2 urselves how in the F%$* did i remember all this? ...i find that really weird how im full stressing over ancient but when it comes to crunch time it just all naturally comes to you...

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by young_gurl
do u guys ever read back on ur essays and think 2 urselves how in the F%$* did i remember all this? ...i find that really weird how im full stressing over ancient but when it comes to crunch time it just all naturally comes to you...
yes, definitely. I even remember really obscure things that were mentioned like, once in class 3 terms ago. It's really weird how all this stuff comes flooding back.

Wiggum

That and the stress of being in the exam watching out for the time and going "shit i only have ____ left..." For me it comes naturally, i start on something and it all flows back during the exam.

young_gurl

hahhaha yeah im always so paranoid about the time....4 my trials i finished both the society and personality part in 1 hr so i had 1hr for each of my essays...did u finish with any time to spare?

novthird

HSC
your all right ancient is a big story the way i have been doing it is just studying the quotes of a particular historian, say plutarch for example learn his quotes and from the quotes the learnt knowledge of the period or whatever is remembered by linking the quotes to the event. well thats my idea anyway:)

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Originally posted by young_gurl
hahhaha yeah im always so paranoid about the time....4 my trials i finished both the society and personality part in 1 hr so i had 1hr for each of my essays...did u finish with any time to spare?
That was a problem for me. I had finished my trials for ancient history and economics early by around 30-45 minutes. I ended up stressing over the fact that i must have done something wrong by finishing so early, like missing a question.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
In the trial, I finished with about fifteen seconds left, which is nothing unusual, but every one of my classmates had stopped writing with thirty minutes to go, or thereabouts..so it felt odd, in a good way.

As for the study and whatnot, I've been doing my notes according to the syllabus, in order to avoid being 'ambushed' by an unexpected, unstudied question. It's always a possibility. :(

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
*sigh* i never have enough time. harimu, how did u finish with 30 mintues left? i had to finish my last section in 15 mins

malayz_angel

Yeah with ancient, I can usually make the bullshit flow just by putting pen to paper..however I do experience those scary ten seconds of panic when I first read the question and don't know what they're talking about....

iluvaugustus

:eek:
i know exactly what you mean- i sit there for 10 seconds and wait for all the knowledge to start flowing back in through my ear, i think its just the nerves and the panic setting in!!!!!!!!

iluvaugustus

out of all the topics u need 2 remember in A.H- i find the personality areas the easiest. i think its because when i study one of the emperors i put a photographic image of the emperor in my head and some how it just slides in to the correct slots! Give it a try!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)