Ancient History Text books (1 Viewer)

ahohen_77

Uni Student
HSC
Can someone give me a general idea about which textbook is best used for ancient history? I have unlocking the past but i dont know if theyre may be other viable textbooks which i could buy

One Drone

In my opinion, get something that looks good to you as well as asking the opinion of your Ancient History teacher. I got the two Excel books and so far, they have proven to be invaluable to my studies.

The one reason I don't like it is that there is so much other wasted information seeing that you only study one civilisation. But I read about Egypt and the others just because I like it. :)

olay

HSC
i don't know what topics you're doing...but generally, Pamela Bradley is tops in feeding the info. Then you just want to get as many sources as you can to back up all the stuf she's written in there.

Gemstone

Well we use Studies in ancient Egypt for our Egyptian historical periods and personalities and the Minoans and Mycenans book for our Minoan society unit.

HSC
i really recommend the Macquarie anceint history, its summarised according to the syllabus dot points....this is for revision of course. otherwise, Bradley is good.

charm13

i've found so far that macquarie is really good for summaries, especially for agrippina

skay

Antiquity 2: Hurley, Medcalf, Ralph

its much better, dont judge it on antiquity one

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I strongly suggest you get a supplementary guide to suit the very purpose it was made for, that is a supplement, both to ancient sources as well as modern scholars.

Depending on your topic, you will grasp a vital and better insight into the subject if you pay attention and take the initiative and actually read the sources.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
I found Uni librarys really good, they have all the "old school" historians and stuff, Maq. Study guide is good to base summaries on, as well as get a grasp for the topic and time, and put events in perspective, Pamela Bradleys books are really good coz they include primary sources.

antisheep

HSC
charm13 said:
i've found so far that macquarie is really good for summaries, especially for agrippina
Yes, Mac is good, if it actually has your topics! My teacher has a very classical focus, making Mac a complete waste of $10 for me *shakes fist* however, i've found excel amazingly fantastic and wonderful... i only wish that they had updated last year to include Pompeii and Herculaneum...

Anyhow, for my topics (Athens in the time of Pericles, Pericles, Pompeii and Greece... the later one) here are the good textbooks i've discovered thus far...

Bradley is good
Hennessey
Athens in the time of Pericles by Flaceliere
Pompeii text by Zamatti
Secrets of Vesuvius by someone else...

X

xeuyrawp

antisheep said:
Yes, Mac is good, if it actually has your topics! My teacher has a very classical focus, making Mac a complete waste of $10 for me *shakes fist*.
Hmm... Are you sure you haven't just figured out how a library catalogue works? [edit: sorry, I thought you were talking about the *library*, not the study guide]

Can you actually do us a favour? I thought I had the Macquarie Study Guide, but I've only got the section that was relevant to me -- could you say what periods/personalities/ societies are in it? I'd be very appreciative :)

however, i've found excel amazingly fantastic and wonderful... i only wish that they had updated last year to include Pompeii and Herculaneum..
Excel is good if you're finding it really difficult to grasp the basics, I guess, but there are much better summarised books...

Last edited by a moderator:

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
ahohen_77 said:
Can someone give me a general idea about which textbook is best used for ancient history?
I've tried or read almost all of them, didn't really see a big difference, stick with what you have.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rob, i think they were referring to the MQ Study Guide, but even then, 'classical' I'm pretty sure we cover Rome and Greece at least, and Egypt?

ashh

HSC
ive got the macquarie revision guide n thats pretty good, tho its useless if ur doin pompeii n herculaneum coz ITS NOT IN THERE!!! y i have no idea :confused:...mayb thats a new topic...but it has good sumaries 4 the otha topics

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, Pompeii and Herculaneum Core Study is new this year :)

Koray

HSC
Pompei and Herculaneum is the biggest load of bullshit and is shit boring.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Regarding Pompeii and Herculaneum we're using a text book entitled"Cities of Vesuvius : Pomepii and Herculaneum" By Pamela Bradley.

Its VERY detailed but its good.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Koray said:
Pompei and Herculaneum is the biggest load of bullshit and is shit boring.
Its not that bad, and I can see why they took out the various overlapping societies and grouped them into the single one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)