Ancient History Vs Modern History (1 Viewer)

yeomnhawk

HSC
To be honest, a lot of the topics in modern contain loads of political content. Especially if you are doing soviet Russia, Trotsky and cold war like me. If you're someone who hates complicated politics and what not than modern may not be for you. However from what I've heard by people doing both modern and ancient in my school, ancient is harder as there is less evidence available so its more difficult to seek precise and quality resources to back up arguments in essays etc. This is where modern tends to have an upper hand as there are an abundance of quotes, sources and other materials you can find and use for essays or just for general research.

nerdwithapurpose

HSC
To be honest, a lot of the topics in modern contain loads of political content. Especially if you are doing soviet Russia, Trotsky and cold war like me. If you're someone who hates complicated politics and what not than modern may not be for you. However from what I've heard by people doing both modern and ancient in my school, ancient is harder as there is less evidence available so its more difficult to seek precise and quality resources to back up arguments in essays etc. This is where modern tends to have an upper hand as there are an abundance of quotes, sources and other materials you can find and use for essays or just for general research.
tbh even finding evidence for modern is hard sometimes so idk how people do ancient find stuff

Maraos

HSC
Update post!

I eventually chose Ancient, I've now been doing ancient for almost 3 terms and I am loving it. So glad I picked ancient over modern since I hear that a lot of the modern classes are dreading every period, while we Ancient guys are loving every second of our class. I guess it just depends on personal preference, but I would recommend that anyone having similar concerns think about the teachers that are teaching the subject. For me I had a really good Ancient teacher (he got his PHD from oxford!) and on the other hand the modern teachers were not so good (not in terms of their resume or experience but their general teaching methods and personality). Another important factor is the topics that you will be studying, make sure you look at them and ensure that you find them attractive before you make your decision otherwise you will dread every class.

Simorgh

HSC
Update post!
So glad I picked ancient over modern since I hear that a lot of the modern classes are dreading every period, while we Ancient guys are loving every second of our class. .
Teachers don't matter the content matters! Modern was always the better history in this regard ;)

Maraos

HSC
I beg to differ. The teacher is the communicator of the subject. If the subject's content is being communicated in a boring and unexciting manner then the students are obviously going to dread the subject and not enjoy their experience, thus not enjoy the content.

tofusenpai

HSC
I'm doing both Ancient and Modern atm. They're both pretty heavy in content but I find Modern heavier. For me Ancient History is easier to absorb.

Ancient is strongly linked to archaeology,how sources are obtained, the understanding of cultures and civilisations. Whereas, in Modern it's more on the issues. Imo I think Modern History would be more valuable but that's just on my pure opinion.

These are the topics we've covered or are covering:

Ancient history: Troy and Schliemann, Tutankhamen and Ancient Egypt and The Celtic People

Modern history: The French Revolution, The Russian revolution, The Cuban Revolution, World at he beginning of the 20th century, (individual research) The US Freedom Riders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AztecWarrior

HSC
To be honest, prelim modern is a trek, but HSC modern (if your teacher is smart enough to choose related options like Germany and Conflict in Europe, like yours) I find is all interrelated and the links between topics will heavily increase not only your understanding, but your ability to write essays. I don't see ancient offering the same kind of connectivity.

dtmtrano

HSC
Modern History is generally interesting. BUT... the exams are pretty hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)