Ancient or Modern for Year 11? (1 Viewer)

ANTMfan91

HSC
Hmm I had the same dilemma. And I went by the idea of which interested me the most and picked both. Is there a particular reason why you don't want to do both?
So I can't really give you advice to pick one over the other, they're both great subjects. The main thing I could probably tell you is to go for what interests you the most

dazzarulz

HSC
im really keen on doing pdhpe and bio
and im doing an accelerated couse for chemistry (doing yr 11 chem now)
maths is compulsory so im doing 2unit and im doing ext english
thats 11 units
im keen for a history just not sure which one would be best.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
modern - if you are 'analytical' type of person & it is interesting.

ANTMfan91

HSC
dazzarulz said:
im really keen on doing pdhpe and bio
and im doing an accelerated couse for chemistry (doing yr 11 chem now)
maths is compulsory so im doing 2unit and im doing ext english
thats 11 units
im keen for a history just not sure which one would be best.
Maths is compulsory at your school? :S That must suck.
Maybe talk to your history teacher and see what he/she thinks you'd be better suited for.

nlibardo

HSC
i most definately would choose modern :D

i remember i was tossing between ancient and modern
and im so glad i chose modern!!

HSC
MODERN all the way! - i had the same dilema.
EPHS '09

PRELIMINARY & HSC
advanced english
extension english
biology
mathematics
modern history
PDHPE
visual arts

Illidan

HSC
I Chose to do both. I did 14 units because I couldn't decide which one to do. However, I dropped Modern in the first week of starting the course work.

If you are unsure, put them both down and do 14 units. You can drop the one you don't like later rather than making a choice based on what other people think. This way you can make a choice based on what is right for you.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well, i do modern and our school chose pretty interesting topics. Learnt so much about modern history!! Its pretty fun, dunno wat ancient is like.

renny 123

HSC
i do both.. personally i love modern! we have an awesome teacher which probably helps but its a great subject. Ancient's good too, little bit more pointless and boring in my opinion though :uhhuh:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yes, unless you actually want to become one of those old, grey-bearded historians, Modern is the way to go
I mean, who the f*ck cares about ancient times? Except maybe Sparta
That may be the only cool thing about it

But yes, Modern :uhhuh:

bored of sc

HSC
Create a poll so you can see percentages of who thinks modern and who thinks ancient.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
youngminii said:
Yes, unless you actually want to become one of those old, grey-bearded historians, Modern is the way to go
I mean, who the f*ck cares about ancient times? Except maybe Sparta
That may be the only cool thing about it

But yes, Modern :uhhuh:
wow... you're an idiot.

Its interesting how people tend to be bias towards the history they like, often they do not even have any experience of the other subject (i see a lot of people who take modern saying how great it is and how shit ancient is without any knowledge of it whatsoever).

The prelim course of both is shithouse, the hsc courses are both fantastic, they both contain very large amounts of content and are a lot of work, they are both 'relevant', but in different ways.

To the op, i would ask the history teachers about the topics you will study in year 12 for both ancient and modern. See which ones appeal most to you personally, do a little research and reading on the net maybe, see which ones you find yourself more drawn to and interested in. This way you will end up doing the course best suited to you, not simply choosing one as a result of bias opinions.

Last edited:

Norma.Jean

HSC
whoa alot of criticisms for ancient. :(
I think ancient is a really fun subject although it does take up a huge amount of work to be done and essays galore (although i'm sure modern would be about the same) but I chose ancient and :uhhuh: .
I didn't like modern at my school because it was more politics and iffy stuff like that :\
....not that i'm discrediting modern :), it's just what you like; someone said to talk to your teacher and see what subject you'd be suited for and thats a good piece of advice(sorry i forgot to quote you :p), also check the sylabus for ancient history and modern history and what you would prefer doing...because it also comes down to what you really want to do as well and what you would enjoy more :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)