Andrew Olle Media Lecture: John Doyle (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
I'm too young and suburban to be a Radio National fan. Still, JJJ and the ABC's News and Current Affairs radio programmes are great.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I watched the TV broadcast last night and it was excellent, read the trasncript or listen to it if you can. So funny how I could see some of the UTS Journalism staff in the audience though. John Doyle was very insightful as well as witty- you could see he was a bit nervous though I reckon, but it was excellent.

One of the things mentioned that I thought was particularly important was the future of our ABC. I don't know if people are aware, but the ABC is facing review (more information from MEAA about it all: http://www.alliance.org.au/ourabc/), and it has faced such massive cutbacks under the current government. ABC and SBS are really the only very high quality outlets for Australian news left. Also Radio National is the only radio station in this country with such a diverse range of strong news and interest programs. The demise of Australian Drama, as highlighted by Doyle, has a lot to do with ABC funding cuts, and it is a tragedy. We really need a strong ABC in this country in order to continue quality news and current affairs (Four Corners, Foreign Correspondent, Stateline, Lateline, ABC News, not to mention ABC Radio) and coverage of Australian cultural events (such as Sunday Arts). Because if the ABC doesn't show it, nobody else will. The truth is that this stuff does not make money, but it is hugely important for Australian democracy and society. SBS is good as well, but it doesn't have the capacity to produce the same amount of quality programs, but Dateline and Insight are excellent.

But I loved John's digs at some of the previous speakers, especially his attack on ACA and TT. I think it was interesting because it didn't just look at the media, he made some commentary on the world that the media is currently situated in.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
And I thought 'it's come to this.' The news had degenerated into watching people wank at a stuffed film.
-On fox coverage of the bombing of Baghdad.

Last edited:

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
And I thought 'it's come to this.' The news had degenerated into watching people wank at a stuffed film.
-On fox coverage of the bombing of Baghdad.
wank at a snuff film*

brilliant little talk

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Haha...that's what i meant.

Despite how extensive and insightful it was, I was floored by how funny he could be. Since the olympics, Roy and HG have been pretty dry.
He's one of the most articulate/persuasive owssies that I know of.

walrusbear

HSC
thanks for posting this - it was an excellent speech

quite wide ranging and pertinent, but also witty

John Doyle said:
The quest for our media is to ask why it happened and to understand the motivations of those who are willing to end their lives at a young age on the altar of sectarian anger...

If the examination isn’t exacting or truthful and without fear or favour, then this universe’s accidental experiment with self-awareness and consciousness may well have been a total waste of time.
:D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)