Angry (1 Viewer)

jellybelly59

HSC
I was given a 23/25 for the essay and although it is a good mark it's not a great mark. I keep getting 1 mark (got 9 for section 1 which was out of 10 and second section 14 out of 15) off the top mark and when i make an enquiry as to why i lost that mark, the history faculty always say im just missing that last bit that makes it perfect - and then gives me a convoluted and circumlocuted explanation of how it's just the marker's impression and at the top end it's very subjective in distinguishing whether or not it's full marks. As you can tell i'm not too happy. :evilfire:If any modern history students/teachers are willing to read my personality study and give me some constructive criticisms as to how i can get full marks please pm me or post on this thread.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Post it up. For two years, I never got full marks for the Causes of WWI or WWI section questions, even for practice.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
at the end of the day, it's a VERY GOOD MARK. especially when you consider that it's an A range mark. i realise you would like some criticism, but your teacher is right, the very top marks are subjective and the means by which to discriminate between them are hard to determine. i'd try to get my hands on some full markers from previous years and read over them and compare them to your own work

absorber

HSC
hard to say...I mean, if you transcribed that and it was an in-class assessment, that's an awesome mark. If you typed it up though, especially if you had no word limit, you could've been more thorough. For instance, in the biography section you barely mention her post world war 2 life at all (i.e. more on her connections with Africa). A few more sentences on that couldn't hurt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the syllabus read 'Leni Riefenstahl: 1902-2003'; most of her life WAS after world war 2, after all. But still, don't be so angry- you wouldn't survive 5 minutes at our school with the lack of feedback we get in most subjects, and 23 outta 25 is pretty good o_O. Did anyone beat you? Look at their work.

jellybelly59

HSC
hard to say...I mean, if you transcribed that and it was an in-class assessment, that's an awesome mark. If you typed it up though, especially if you had no word limit, you could've been more thorough. For instance, in the biography section you barely mention her post world war 2 life at all (i.e. more on her connections with Africa). A few more sentences on that couldn't hurt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the syllabus read 'Leni Riefenstahl: 1902-2003'; most of her life WAS after world war 2, after all. But still, don't be so angry- you wouldn't survive 5 minutes at our school with the lack of feedback we get in most subjects, and 23 outta 25 is pretty good o_O. Did anyone beat you? Look at their work.
Typed it up but there was a 1300 word limit - our teacher wanted us to be concise. If you look at the syllabus, the only post War reference to leni's life is in section 4 -"significance and evaluation" which is usually explored in the 15 marker question which requires higher order thinking. It's true that she did have a life prior to WWII but she's critiqued mainly for her notion of 'facist aesthetics', her role as an artist/propagandist and her close ties with the Nazi Regime - hence an emphasis on her work in Nazi Germany and the consequences in my section II. The Nuba photography weren't very controversial given the exception of Susan Sontag's statements regarding Riefenstahl's nazi sentiments and it was for that reason that i didn't write too much about them + the word limit.

Did anyone beat me in my class? Nope. Yeah, like i've acknowledged in my previous post it's a good mark but it's not a GREAT mark. There comes a point when i just look at my writing and im like hmm... "How can i be on par with all those other modern history brainiacs?" and i feel like the teacher isn't telling me what to do so i can get there other then do "more practice essays" which would be great if the feedback wasn't always miniscule/not constructive and when i ask them to give me more feedback it's always like "It's good but it's just not there yet..."

jellybelly59

HSC
at the end of the day, it's a VERY GOOD MARK. especially when you consider that it's an A range mark. i realise you would like some criticism, but your teacher is right, the very top marks are subjective and the means by which to discriminate between them are hard to determine. i'd try to get my hands on some full markers from previous years and read over them and compare them to your own work

I did, I duplicated their structures and style from the standards package. Especially from the exemplary answers. That's why i'm confused as to why i lost marks.

absorber

HSC
Yeah, we did the same thing in our class recently, so yeah I know about riefenstahl's life etc etc. Some teachers just don't like giving full marks, so I wouldn't worry, esp. given you're coming first.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
I did, I duplicated their structures and style from the standards package. Especially from the exemplary answers. That's why i'm confused as to why i lost marks.
you are aware that internal markings are often more severe than external markings in order to help differentiate between students and achieve rankings? i really wouldnt be getting so worked up about this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)