Angular Resolution Question (1 Viewer)

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
Hey, there are 2 formulas i know of for angular resolution, the one from excel is:
θ=1.22(λ/d)

and the one i learnt in class which is in the Jacaranda one is: (2.1 x 10^5λ)/d
But when i use both equations on a question, i get 2 different answers!

Example:

What is the theoretical resolution for the 300m radio telescope in Puerto Rico if it uses 4cm radio waves?

i get 28arcsecs with the Jacaranda one, but 33 arcsecs with the excel one.

Which one is right, and which formula should i use?

Last edited:

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
do some questions, apply both formulas, see which gives the correct answer

la_mar

It says in excel, θ is in radians.
While the R in jacaranda is in arcsecs

rowan brand

What the crap are you blokes talking about...... i dont have a clue? I am doing astro and what is all this aboyut... we didnt get taught this.... GAAHJHHHHHHHHH

helper

HSC
N/A
It is a formula that helps explain about aperature and resolution. It is not compulsory for the elective and will not be a calculation you have to do in the exam.

HSC
Hahaha... Rowan and I are in the same class, and both freaked out about this.. I love that not only do we have no idea about the formulae... but have never even heard of this in relation to astro - what a joke.

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
well its all in the text book, haha with physics and most other subjects, the teachers just go off the text book, the text book is really all you need, so if you got given that, then just read it, and if you don't understand it, then just ask a question here coz obviously your teacher has no clue.

salsaDAVE

HSC
nar frenzal, my teacher went off the sylabus, and theres nuttin in the sylabus about calculating angular resolution...

great_guns

HSC
there is stuff in the syllabus re angular calculations. how do you convert arcsecs into degrees? is it like x1/20 or sumfin?

HSC
great_guns said:
there is stuff in the syllabus re angular calculations. how do you convert arcsecs into degrees? is it like x1/20 or sumfin?
an arcminute is a 60th of a degree

an arcsecond is a 60th of a acrminute

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
salsaDAVE said:
nar frenzal, my teacher went off the sylabus, and theres nuttin in the sylabus about calculating angular resolution...
Haha, well it's good practice for the basic principles of diffraction for the photonics or modern physics section of the first year of a physics degree. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)