• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anhs1601 (1 Viewer)

nick1689

HSC
Would someone be able to outline for me the course content for this unit? The handbook roughly explains some things, but Im looking for some specifics. For eg. does it cover the Punic Wars, Roman Expansion, Imperial Rome, the Fall of Rome?

Anything will be great! Thanks.

neafoo

HSC
If this is the one held by Jeffery Tatum, it is his first year teaching, so i'm not sure if anyone knows what the content will be.

He is a fantastic lecturer though.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
if it's anything like the old first year course, it will be the late republic and early principate, basically from the gracchi to augustus. but the new description is very vague, so it's possible that it's been refocused. it will still probably focus on the republican period though, since that's jeff tatum's specialty (and the specialty of the whole usyd classics and ancient history department, really).

nick1689

HSC
Ohk, thanks guys! It should be good hopefully, and not just a rehashing of some of the stuff learnt in the HSC.

Triangulum: not to hijack my own thread or anything, but I noticed that you're majoring in the same subjects Im planning to major in (well mine will probably be history and not ancient history, but anywho); I was just wondering, what are your career aspirations after uni with those subjects?

Djarwan

Bacehlor Of Arts, USYD
HSC
I'm also doing the same majors i'd be interested 2 hear

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
good question, but i basically have no idea really. depends if i decide to do honours in govt or anhs. if govt, i'll probably end up doing something NGO-ish or working for the government; if anhs, i wouldn't mind doing a phd and then becoming an academic. i'm not really that clear on career goals and stuff tbh.

nick1689

HSC
Yeh fair enough, pretty much the same for me really.. I'll see where life takes me.

DeepDarkRose

HSC
wow it's only late republic to augustus now?
back in 2006 this course covered gracchi to caligula

just had jeff tatum for the second year course he taught - great lecturer, will certainly keep you entertained

neafoo

HSC
DeepDarkRose said:
wow it's only late republic to augustus now?
back in 2006 this course covered gracchi to caligula

just had jeff tatum for the second year course he taught - great lecturer, will certainly keep you entertained
It technically went to Nero in 2007, but they compressed Caligula - Nero into one lecture right at the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)