Animal Farm BY George Orwell- "Words are the most powerful weapons" (1 Viewer)

purpleprincess

HSC
Anyone read this book? Right now in english class we are discussing about this book. It talks about the Russian Revolution but in another way.

I am now giving me a task which is to do a speech on a topic related to the book. The topic is:

"Words are the most powerful weapons"

This is because the book was mainly about gaining power, propaganda, communism etc.

I was wondering if any readers that have read this book to help me and give me a few points on what I can talk about in my speech.

Also this speech has to be about 4-5 minutes long. Which I find it very diffucult because I do not know what kind of things I could write.Therefore I need help on what I should talk about.

I also need to:
-develop and present ideas/arguments effectively and logically.

Please help me!
Thanks in advance

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
i like that book , its really good.

try looking for esseys on google

and 4/5 minute speech is notihng, just use long dramatic pauses and talk slower.

persephone

HSC
I read it when I was in year 9. And you wouldn't think it would be about someting so important, I mean they're farm animals. But, my own opinion is that the use of animals and allegory (this is going way back, so I could be so so wrong), helps to show/explain what the Russian revolution was about. It's really much better than trying to understand the Russian revolution by writing a textbook. I can't help you much with your topic though but there's probably enough stuff on the net to help you. I hated reading it in year 9 but I appreciate it more now (I sound so old!!!)

Danoz The Great

HSC
I like the book, but I'm bloody sick of it. We looked at it last year for english..."Conformity and the Individual"

I'd give you LOADS of notes on this but...I've thrown all my year 11 english stuff out!!! Sorry!!! But PM me if you still have issues, I could try to help you. I would now, but I'm too tired lol sorry.

Last edited:
HSC
ok this is basically a pointless post because i have no help for you on your speech

BUT this book is so clever - i love it

plus it is not evn very long - bonus!

stainmepink

HSC
the pen is mightier than the sword...

use that idiom somewhere in ur thesis

boutfiddy

HSC
purpleprincess said:
Anyone read this book? Right now in english class we are discussing about this book. It talks about the Russian Revolution but in another way.

I am now giving me a task which is to do a speech on a topic related to the book. The topic is:

"Words are the most powerful weapons"

This is because the book was mainly about gaining power, propaganda, communism etc.

I was wondering if any readers that have read this book to help me and give me a few points on what I can talk about in my speech.

Also this speech has to be about 4-5 minutes long. Which I find it very diffucult because I do not know what kind of things I could write.Therefore I need help on what I should talk about.

I also need to:
-develop and present ideas/arguments effectively and logically.

Please help me!
Thanks in advance
maybe also talk about the reception of the book in its context as another way to look at it as orwell used the book as a way to attack communism

Abbeygale

HSC
something_funny said:
didn't one of the horses get sent to the glue factory?? that was sad
Yes. That and that the horse represented the working class is all that I remember from when I had to read it in yr 9.

Has anyone seen the cartoon version of it? It's not bad, right up until they give it the tv treatment and tack on a semi-happy ending.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)