Announcement from BOSTES/NESA - 2019 Syllabus Changes for Calculus courses (2 Viewers)

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Re: Announcement from BOSTES - significant change to calculus courses

I went to the consultation today at Croydon Park. They talked mostly about structure and assessment. Not much on content, but statistics did get a mention.

Then we broke into groups and gave feedback on some sheets that had some questions. I'll post the questions up later.

omegadot

HSC
N/A

I went to the consultation today at Croydon Park. They talked mostly about structure and assessment. Not much on content, but statistics did get a mention.

Then we broke into groups and gave feedback on some sheets that had some questions. I'll post the questions up later.
Please do when you get the time. I am interested to hear what the current thinking on these changes from other teachers is.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

OK. Here are the questions used at the consultation meeting.

First we had the option to submit as individual or as a group.

Mathematics General 2 and Mathematics General 1 Draft Writing Brief

Please circle: Individual or group

1. What is your preferred option? Please comment on your preference.

2. The revision of the status of the current HSC Mathematics General 1 CEC to make the course a Board Developed Course ( with an optional HSC examination) is/is not appropriate. Please provide reasons for your answer.

3. If changes to the Mathematics ("2 Unit") course are required to achieve "significant overlap" with the Mathematics General 2 course, a greater level of revision of the Mathematics General 2 course to align with the changes is/is not appropriate. Please provide reasons for your answer.

4. The development of a new Preliminary Mathematics General course designed to strengthen students' numeracy skills by consolidating and building on student knowledge and skills from Stage 5.1 is/is not appropriate. Please provide reasons for your answer.

5. Is there another course structure or modification that BOSTES should consider?

6. Please provide feedback on school-based assessment requirements for these courses.

7. Please provide feedback on HSC examination specification for these courses.

Mathematics, Extension 1 & Extension 2 Draft Writing Brief.

Please circle: Individual or group

1. What is your preferred option? Please comment on your preference.

2. The proposed approach to examining the Mathematics ("2 Unit") course is/is not appropriate as a means of encouraging students to study the course most appropriate for their abilities and aspirations. Please provide reasons for your answer.

3. The proposed approach to examining the "2 Unit" course is/is not sufficient as a means of encouraging students to study the course most appropriate for their abilities and aspirations.

4. The proposed approach to structuring ("significant overlap" with Mathematics General 2) and examining the "2 Unit" course are/ are not both necessary as a means of encouraging students to study the course most appropriate for their abilities and aspirations.

5. The inclusion of the study of statistics in the "2 Unit" Mathematics and/or Mathematics Extension 2 courses is/is not appropriate.

6. Is there another course structure or modification that BOSTES should consider?

7. Please provide feedback on school-based assessment requirements for these courses.

8. Please provide feedback on HSC examination specifications for these courses.

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Announcement from BOSTES - significant change to calculus courses

Holy shit, they literally give you every formula u need. What has maths come to

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

What has maths come to

Well it comes to this:

I might write an Extension 1 exam with just 1 question:

Prove all the formulas on the formula sheet.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Holy shit, they literally give you every formula u need. What has maths come to
Doesn't make a difference except they'll probably stop asking Q's like 'calculate the angle between these two lines', since those were just a test of memory and substitution (if they ask it now, it'll just be a test of substitution...or maybe they will ask these Q's, like the HSC Science calculations; but probably not too many of those Q's).

leehuan

HSC

The fact that so many things are now blatantly thrown at people makes me wonder:
a) Must you have some competency in interpreting the English language to answer questions like general
b) Are they gonna actually increase the difficulty of the questions drastically

And I wanna see the 2016 paper now. Even if it's 2015.

laters

HSC
N/A

If someone was to take the extension 1 exam does this mean that the 2u reference sheet is also provided or is only the extension sheet provided?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

If someone was to take the extension 1 exam does this mean that the 2u reference sheet is also provided or is only the extension sheet provided?
Same reference sheet for 2u, 3u and 4u.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

Who's idea was it to introduce a reference sheet for all math levels including and above 2U in the first place??

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

I do not like this change at all. How hard is it to remember formulas? ffs.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Announcement from BOSTES - significant change to calculus courses

Where are the equations for projectile motion? These are the ones everyone asks whether they should derive or quote.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Goodbye to the many easy-marks questions. Be careful what you wish for.
If that happens I wouldn't mind this because it allows room for more problem solving style questions. I'd much rather students lose marks due to lack of problem solving abilities than for incorrectly recalling a formula. Of course not every formula is on that sheet (esp for Ext2) so there is still an element of recall required.

Flop21

HSC

I do not like this change at all. How hard is it to remember formulas? ffs.
How hard is it? Not too hard. Time consuming? Yes. Very time consuming. This will allow for time spent doing more valuable things than rote learning formulas. What do you gain from it anyway?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC

How hard is it? Not too hard. Time consuming? Yes. Very time consuming. This will allow for time spent doing more valuable things than rote learning formulas. What do you gain from it anyway?
why would you need to rote learn formulas? when you practice questions it will stick to your long term memory.

Flop21

HSC

why would you need to rote learn formulas? when you practice questions it will stick to your long term memory.
Because my brain isn't a super machine that picks what it decides to forget / retain over the years.

"I do not like this change at all."

If it's no big deal for you why are you complaining? I'll also say that there are a lot more formulae you must remember in year 12 vs. year 10...

leehuan

HSC

Um, whilst you're entitled to your opinion, I'll voice mine as well.

It doesn't matter... I did 2U in Yr 10 and learnt all of them. :x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)