Another "Do I have a chance?!?!?!?!?" thread. (1 Viewer)

NewiJapper

HSC
Hey. As I sig says, I got an ATAR of 93.7. If I achieved a minimum of 6, more realistically 6.5 average in Uni, would I be able to transfer from UNCLE to USYD for combined Law or would I need a higher score in uni to be more competitive because of my "low" ATAR.

Thank guys!

izzy88

HSC
Hey. As I sig says, I got an ATAR of 93.7. If I achieved a minimum of 6, more realistically 6.5 average in Uni, would I be able to transfer from UNCLE to USYD for combined Law or would I need a higher score in uni to be more competitive because of my "low" ATAR.

Thank guys!
USYD recommends on it's website that you need at least an atar of 96 and a distinction average to transfer. However if you look at the other law transfer thread in this section, people with atars of 98 didn't manage to get transfer spots. Whilst it is supply and demand, I think it unlikely that an atar under 96 would be competitive.

diligent

HSC
N/A
USyd takes 50% atar + 50% gpa OR 100% gpa. Using the first method even if you got a GPA of 6.5+ your average score would only be around 96.6 (93.7 + 99.5 = 193.2 divided by 2 = 96.6). However you'd have a very good chance on your GPA alone

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
USYD recommends on it's website that you need at least an atar of 96 and a distinction average to transfer. However if you look at the other law transfer thread in this section, people with atars of 98 didn't manage to get transfer spots. Whilst it is supply and demand, I think it unlikely that an atar under 96 would be competitive.
+1, it's crazy competitive.

NewiJapper

HSC
I'm quite determined on this idea of transferring to USYD and I'll be gunning for that 100% GPA LOL

I STILL BLAME MY OUTRAGEOUS ASSESSMENT MARKS! ALWAYS! LOL

NihaoMa

Banned
HSC
I'm quite determined on this idea of transferring to USYD and I'll be gunning for that 100% GPA LOL

I STILL BLAME MY OUTRAGEOUS ASSESSMENT MARKS! ALWAYS! LOL
Uni is different to high school. Are you sure you'll make the right choice for the transfer because everyone at USYD law this year is insanely smart so it's going to be very hard to compete with them also after you get in.

NewiJapper

HSC
I'm not trying to boast, but I am quite intelligent. I just lacked a lot of motivation in High school. I quite like the idea of university and the self-directed learning prospect of it. I'm not trying to get into USYD for the prestige, but the opportunities it can bring and doors it can open.

yeah_boy

HSC
I really want to transfer too but I think my ATAR will make me knocked back lol

to what point is the ATAR no longer considered?

NewiJapper

HSC
yeah_boy said:
I really want to transfer too but I think my ATAR will make me knocked back lol
If you did well with a MINIMUM of a Distinction average, leaning more to a HD average, I think you would have a competitive chance.

izzy88

HSC
Uni is different to high school. Are you sure you'll make the right choice for the transfer because everyone at USYD law this year is insanely smart so it's going to be very hard to compete with them also after you get in.
Whilst UAI is the factor on getting in- because you got a mid 90s or so ATAR doesn't mean you have any less aptitude to do well in law. The UAI cutoff is purely for demand- not the difficulty of the degree. So much of the HSC is just memorisation- Law at uni isn't just memorising law, its applying it etc. I have friends that got great UAIs (99.9 etc) that don't go that well in law (they can recite the textbook backwards, but can't answer the problem questions well). On the other hand, I wouldn't have gotten into law the past two years since the ATAR went up, and yet I have a pretty high average. There used to people also that were full-fee students that didn't get the UAI (could be up to 5 whole points lower), and they didn't do worse because they had a lower UAI. To be honest, you didn't know the difference between people that were full-fee and people that weren't.

If NewiJapper wants to do law/puts the time in/likes it then they would most likely be fine in terms of competing with everyone else- the problem is just getting in.

ar7

HSC
from every law firm i have contacted (almost a dozen) none has yet to hint that they prefer USYD law graduates over any other. in fact they rather experience and know how. i fail to see the infatuation many people have with usyd law. i personally think its the "want what i cant get" mentality from the extremely high atar cutoff. oh well.... suit yourselves guys =)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
i personally think its the "want what i cant get" mentality from the extremely high atar cutoff. oh well.... suit yourselves guys =)
Exactly, I had a friend who felt bad for getting 99 and wanting to enroll in a 85 course so he enrolled in law - dropped out of law after his first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)