Another ex2 question help pls (1 Viewer)

=)(=

HSC
A particle of mass m is projected vertically upwards and experiences a resistance of magnitude mkv^2 newtons. During its downward motion, the terminal velocity of the particle is V m/s. Find the position of the particle below its maximum height when it reaches 50% of its terminal velocity.

5uckerberg

HSC
Okay, this question. Firstly we are going to have to do this step.

Find the height H okay, done by integration with that replaces the acceleration and use the boundaries of at v=u when x=0, v=0 when x=H. You should have something like this

Step 2 knowing H we will do this and terminal velocity is when acceleration=0. There will have .

Step 3, do the integral again but this time with

Last edited:

5uckerberg

HSC
ohh i had no idea i had to use definite integrals
I mean if you want to use indefinite integrals, that is fine but I think I got this habit from doing too many Steve Howard's mechanics questions. To me, it just feels easier no need to write the +C and then works out the other things.

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
ohh i had no idea i had to use definite integrals
In most instances I feel its easier to just use indefinite integrals and sub in the boundaries for simplicity, maybe out of practice/routine but at times its more easier to use definite integrals for such questions. Its good to know how to use both of them for the instance you get such a question but most of the times it doesn't matter which one you do.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
The indefinite integral forms can hep to avoid needing to deal with improper integrals, too.
Apparently improper integrals are outside the syllabus but I've seen a lot of textbooks still incorporate them? I'm a bit confused on that aspect but I assume you can rewrite them to forms inside the syllabus so it can be assessed?

is the same as

A bit confused when it comes to the technicalities.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)