Another laptop suggestion (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
Hi I'm looking to buy a laptop for uni next year.

Looking for:

Very good battery life
Light in weight
Minimum heat
Durable
Mainly for work at uni i guess, like word processing, net browsing etc.
Maybe good enough to play games without lag?
I can afford up to $2000
Sexy looking!

most importantly: is a laptop even necessary if i choose to do a science/medicine degree?

any suggestions

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
if you want a small notebook i would recommend a net book, the msi wind is very nice, as i have heard the eee pc 1000H is.

You would have to buy the wind online most likely, i have heard that it is hard to get, i bought mine online, and i love it

they are about $480-$680

with good battery life shop around for a 6-cell battery version, or for about 200 you can buy a 9 cell that lasts about 8 hours, these however stick out a great deal.

from my msi wind

it runs cool also, seems durable, i don't think however gaming is good on it, it is only a netbook after all.

and if you wanna run games you do not wanna get a mac either, or unless if you have a copy of windows and wanna run it on it.

Arithela

HSC
whats the difference between that and an asus eee pc?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
they are really similar, it is up to you.

the main reason i focused on the msi is that is because what i have and i love it, no problems with it

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i got the eeepc 1000H

its not needed for medicine/science..from research and first hand experience ..paper pen attendence and IQ of 110 is whats needed..

i get about 5 hrs on it when i use XP

most old games work which is what i wanted but also need openoffice to work.. and Office 2007 works on it too.. but a lil slow i feel.. cf openoffice lol..

its got a large 10 inch screen.

if u have $2000 then buy a $500 laptop and books for medicine/science will cost u a bit too..

aussie-boy

HSC
gaming capabilities directly oppose battery life - a dedicated graphics card (needed for decent games) is incredibly power hungry

then you need to decide between a proper laptop and one of those mini laptops (eeepc, etc) - with the differences being screen size, keyboard size, whether it has an optical drive, hard drive size, memory (eepcs have around 1GB; laptops 2-4)

personally i would go for something like a dell xps m1330 (or a macbook) - still pretty light and will last for 4 hours but is a proper computer. i think those mini computers are gimmicky, and cant do much else than web browsing and word, with screens too small to see anything anyway

Arithela

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+

what's the difference between a 1000H, 1000HA and 1000HD asus eee pc?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
1000HD has a slower CPU the celeron D on board

1000H uses the Atom CPUs which have better power control.. has 80gb HDD wifi B/g/n and bluetooth

1000HA is lik the 1000H but with a 160Gb HDD and no 802.11n wifi.. and no bluetooth..

personally i got a 1000H.. i swapped out the hard drive and the RAM (max: 2Gb)
myself but i know what im doing.. its very simple but only if u feel comfortable with it

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
macbooks have like 5hrs battery, but the mac interface is very weird to ppl used to windows, if u want games then checkout the latest model macbook. Also depends on what kinda games u wanna play. The latest macbook is advertised on its website with a scrnshot of nfs carbon on its screen, implying that it can run that game.
Also, with macs u need the mac version of whatever software u want. Any other lappy that falls under ur requirements would probably be the xps m1330.

MrZomg

HSC
N/A
Just get a Lenovo SL300:
  1. Core 2 Duo @ 2.26Ghz 45nm
  2. 9300 series Nvidia Graphics
  3. Sim card slot for Mobile Broadband
  4. $1700~$2200 (depending where u get it)
  5. Pretty good for games if ur looking at a light laptop
  6. 13.3inch wide screen LCD
  7. I think this lasts 6hrs from the official website, though i cant remember

PS: NETBOOKS like EEE PC are NOT FOR GAMES and have below average performance, with no optical drives

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
9300 isn't really for games either, tbh. You want something with at least an x600 series card.

HSC
Get a mac, it's heaps spiffy and awesome. It also looks very smart.

you can get a student discount if your a student at any university in NSW. They take like three hundred dollars off, it's great.
i bought my macbook for around $1490. I'm talking about the white ones, rather then the latest generations that just recently came out. They're basically the same, unless you're into games. Macbooks are perfect for university work. It's worth the extra bit of cash, but you'd know you'd be paying for quality and sophitication.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
notovereighteen said:
Get a mac, it's heaps spiffy and awesome. It's worth the extra bit of cash, but you'd know you'd be paying for quality and sophitication.
Doesn't help with spelling obviously, also:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think that OP should specify what they mean by games ...
yeah all the computers mentioned are options.. but for $2.5K i would recommend the Vaio TT series.. they are hot.. :)

nubix

HSC
aussie-boy said:
gaming capabilities directly oppose battery life - a dedicated graphics card (needed for decent games) is incredibly power hungry
Yes, but you can also get laptops with integrated graphics as well as dedicated which you can switch between power and performance.

kooltrainer

HSC
hey, im also thinkin of buyin a laptop. .. .
the best one i've seen so far .. . value vs price is HP Pavilion dv5-1007TX
around $1700
way better function than macbook . . . and cheaper as well

08er

HSC
i'd recommend the sony z series, very sexy but you would be looking to pay near $3000 for one

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
kooltrainer said:
hey, im also thinkin of buyin a laptop. .. .
the best one i've seen so far .. . value vs price is HP Pavilion dv5-1007TX
around $1700
way better function than macbook . . . and cheaper as well
what do you want it for though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)