another prescribed texts issue (1 Viewer)

Kiki

I'm afraid i'm bringing up the prescribed texts issue yet again..but i was just wondering: when a question says to refer to 'at least' 2 prescribed texts, should you refer to another? Someone told me that if u refer to only 2 when they say this, then u cannot achieve a top band result...anyone have any thoughts on this or know if it's true?

Stuwy85

dont just rely on me but i would say it is not, you could still acheive a top band result using 2 prescribed texts (as well as related) assuming that you are able to show using these 2 texts that you fully understand the concepts inherent in your module. In other words if you can say all you think you need to about what you want to using just 2 texts then you will be fine, but if a key element of your module is featured in one of the texts and it is neglected then you could be in trouble. My advice would be to know 3 but only do 2 (but really well and in depth) which 2 depends on the demands and constraints of the question. 2 texts done well will get you closer to a top band then 3 or 4 sketchy "only scratching the surface" paragraphs on 3 different texts. I would suggest also though that the 2 texts you do use are different in nature perhaps even contrasting each other so that you may present a equally weighted discussion of your focus. As i said dont just take my advice, but that is what i am doing.

ilovemrchips

true true

personally, i say do the two and do them well. when it says "at least" and you do the minimum requirement for the question, they can't really penalise you. plus if you're a slowass writer like me and doing three prescribed means three done poorly, go for the two done well. blow them away with your awesom incisive powers =}

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
My friend just discussed this with me yesterday. The problem was 'two printed prescribed texts' that means that for us crime-fictionERs, we are restricted to Skull, Snow and Hound.

What I think is ok is that, you discussed any two fully and mention the other one to the extent that you are able to SHOW your understanding of it. Then you chuck in heaps of supplementary materials. then you'll be safe and sound :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)